PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Mavens: Pick a yellow, any yellow!

PurplePotato
06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Please. :D

This is driving me crazy. Usually I can pick colors with no issues. I've put up ELEVEN samples and still can't decide. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for that perfect, creamy-golden yellow. Warm, medium depth. Not too light, not too dark.

So, for now, I am painting the basement (family room/play area/office-bedroom) and the basement stairway. However, since my house is so open it will eventually be the color for the foyer and family room on the main floor (both 2 stories high) and carry up to the second floor hallway. So this color will be EVERYWHERE. I gotta love it.

So far I like this color but think it might be too light. I don't want it to get washed out with all the light in here and all the space.

Behr Pollen Grains:

http://www.behr.com/dsm-ext/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=15d33df93bc86110VgnVCM1000006b 0910acRCRD&vgnextfmt=default#view=3;vgnextoid=15d33df93bc8611 0VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD;channel=INSPIRATION

I also like this one but am afraid it is too dark.

Benjamin Moore Stuart Gold:

http://www.benjaminmooreonline.com/review/product/list/id/2269/

But, now online I've found two others I think I like:

Farrow and Ball's Babouche 223 (which will be a PITA to get a sample of):

Image #1 of 13:

http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/colors/best-shades-of-yellow

And Benjamin Moore Showtime 923. I was just at the darn B.M. place yesterday and I'm sure I looked at this color:

Image #2 of 13:

http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/colors/best-shades-of-yellow

BucknellAlum
06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, we painted Sherwin Williams Cottage Cream in our beach house on a lot of the walls. I love it because it is a nice warm creamy tone, with a yellowish tint. It is one of the colors I am so happy we picked.

I am not sure how dark a color you want, this is fairly light, but you definitely see there is a yellow cream color on the walls. And this is in a beach house with tons of natural light.

By the way, this color sample looks nothing like it. You have to see the actual color chip.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/paint_colors/ideas/color/SW7678_cottage_cream/

cocoa'smom
06-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I couldn't see the Behr one. The Stuart gold looks too dark.

In the slideshow: I love some of the brighter colors, but it might be too much in the family room and up 2 stories. I like Golden Honey, Goldfinch or DKC-30:

Reading the description of the Showtime:
"It's one of those spaces (the foyer in the picture) that people go through quickly, so you can afford a higher level of drama. Often, there's not natural light, so you need a heavily saturated color like this warm, yolky yellow."
- it makes me think it will be too much for all your spaces since you have a lot of natural light and 2 stories.

What about this one:
DKC-30 (#5)
"It's the color of afternoon light — that end-of-the-day moment when it feels warm and mellow and everything has a glow. I'm thinking some beautiful house on the Mediterranean, and we're sitting outside and eating figs with a bottle of white wine."
-while it looks light in the picture, the description makes it seem really lovely. (those writers are great, aren't they!).

Good luck!

Robyncz
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
A friend of mine has Stuart gold in her entry way and it is a lovely warm yellow/gold, but it is not at all "creamy" in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the color, but it's a more intense yellow/gold than it sounds like you're looking for.

Anne
06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Just my opinion - the lighter, the better...especially with that much wall space and the basement. As for washed out - a light background really makes accessories pop and they can be readily changed seasonally or on a whim.

Shugness
06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I was also having difficulty getting your links to load - but I liked the DKC-30 as well that was in the slide show. It's very similar to the color I painted one of my bedrooms - I love it.

1grl1by
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I really liked the DKC-30 that was in the slide show, and the Benjamin Moore Dalia 319 (also in the slide show, but I don't remember which number).

PurplePotato
06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Darn it, I think the Behr is the front runner at the moment. I wonder why it won't load.

The DK one is too tan/light I think. I definitely go for strong, deep colors.

I ended up driving to get the sample of the first one in the slideshow (Babouche) and unless it dries a lot differently from the wet version it is WAY too in your face yellow.

I didn't get to pick up the Slideshow yet and I looked at Dahlia yesterday but it was too light/lemony. I don't mind saturated color. In fact, I prefer it. I've never regretted going darker but I have regretted backing off and going lighter.

And now my foyer is full of carpet boards for the stair runners. Decisions!

LakeMartinGal
06-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I liked the first one the best!:D
The second was too dark, the third one too lemony, and not creamy, and same with the 4th.

But you're the one who has to live with it! So go with whichever makes you feel the best!:)

Peweh
06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
For me it would depend on what your decorating style is; if you're a country/primitive person that 2nd deepest yellow might work well. But I tend to favor the first one if you're looking for something more neutral to work with more contemporary decor.

PurplePotato
06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I think I'm getting talked down from doing one of the darker ones.

For me it would depend on what your decorating style is; if you're a country/primitive person that 2nd deepest yellow might work well. But I tend to favor the first one if you're looking for something more neutral to work with more contemporary decor.

I'm definitely not country but I have no idea how to describe my style.

I'm running into sun issues. When the sun is in here it makes several of the yellows glow - and not in a good way. More of a "Big Bird in Neon" way. We had a deeper yellow in our loft but, thinking back, the kitchen had no windows as it was at the back of the loft. So the darker color wasn't affected by the sun. I think that made a huge difference.

So far the Behr is the only one not affected so I think we'll go with that. If I hate it downstairs I can search for a slightly darker one for the main floor. I'm just painting the basement for now.

whocares
06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Have you considered BM Linen or Navajo White. I used both of these in my house and found the Navajo White to be a great color. Enough color to warm up a room, but not really yellow. I chose it as a default; initially I wanted a bold color, but the choices were dizzying. Once it was up, I loved it. Our house was very open and the color tied the open kitchen/family/living room together nice. The yellows on your list are beautiful, but for me too yellow.

jpap
06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I like the Behr.

mlynn
06-08-2011, 04:41 PM
We have Navajo white in our lower level--I really like it. It reads as more yellow when the shades are drawn, but doesn't have that yellow throbbing glow in the bright sun. One of the few colors I found that I like with our oak trim. (Hate the oak trim, but am trying to live with it.)