PDA

View Full Version : Ways to fix shoes that are slippery on the bottom...

applecrisp
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I bought a pair of shoes for a wedding and they seem real slippery on the bottom --- no real surprise since they are new. And, since the heel is much, much thinner and higher than what I usually wear. I'd love a bit more traction on the sole. Definitely a good thing.

This is from someone that has worn my Merrells all week. High heels, what's that?

Normally if I want to make a shoe less slippery I just scuff up the bottom by wearing it, or somestimes just rough up the bottom on the concrete sidewalk. I know you can use sandpaper, but I never have that on hand.

I was just wondering if there are other ways? Would the shoe repair guy have something too?

I don't want to wipe out in my new shoes. :D And, I'm hoping I get some good use out of them since the price made me go yowza.

Thanks.

Canice
07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Easy! Just bring them to a shoe repair shop and they'll adhere ribbed nylon bottoms to them. No slip, and a much longer life for the soles.

I live in San Francisco. Trust me when I say I am VERY familiar with the perils of new leather soles on hills. Freakin' terrifying! :p

(I giggle, but *did* once "ski" down California Street in new cowboy boots, and it was horrific. I still have an essay my mother wrote in the 1950s, about trying to walk up that very hill in her fancy new shoes, but persistently sliding back down.)

Canice
07-06-2011, 11:19 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/canicef/2459146901_a51aac5bb1.jpg

California Street hill. Canice attempts to "stroll" down from the top in her slick 'n' slippery new boots.
Not so much.

hlao23
07-07-2011, 01:24 AM
I don't know if this is helpful outdoors but I used to put an "x" of masking tape on the sole of high heel shoes. It helps the indoors be less slippery

BarbaraL
07-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Easy! Just bring them to a shoe repair shop and they'll adhere ribbed nylon bottoms to them. No slip, and a much longer life for the soles.

This sounds like the "dance rubber" we'd have the shoemaker put on the soles of our Capezio character shoes for traction when I was in a little theater group.

OMG, that hill! Talk about an aerobic workout!

PurplePotato
07-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Or if you need a quick fix they sell pads to put on the bottom at drug stores. Just a little rough piece of something that sticks to the bottom. By all the foot stuff, shoe inserts, etc.

The rubber thing (which I have never heard of) sounds like a much better solution though.

catharine
07-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Or if you need a quick fix they sell pads to put on the bottom at drug stores. Just a little rough piece of something that sticks to the bottom. By all the foot stuff, shoe inserts, etc.

The rubber thing (which I have never heard of) sounds like a much better solution though.

I was just going to comment that I had a bad experience trying to use the stick-on pads. I might have bought cheap ones, though. They didn't stay on well and they would slide around when I walked. Even worse was that the sticky goo that it left on the bottom of my shoes picked up a lot of junk. Next time I'll leave it to the professionals.

applecrisp
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone. Off to the shoe repair shop tomorrow. I've always just scuffed up the bottom of shoes myself --- but I can certainly use the extra traction with these shoes. And, and others said, let the shoe pros take care of it.

Canice --- great pic. That certainly wasn't the skiing you had in mind.

Thanks again!

tbb113
07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't dance so take this with a grain of salt...if you are planning on dancing at the wedding, make sure that what ever you do to the bottom won't prevent you from dancing. I know my friends that do ballroom or salsa, always check to make sure the sole is slippery so they can dance...

Canice - I had to laugh about your mother. I always found it easy to walk up hill in heels as it seemed to balance me out. But walking downhill was always terrifying. I would go out of my way on the bus for a walk that was flat or not a steep down hill!

Canice
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Gravity is definitely working against you on the down side! New leather soles are a peril no matter what. All of my shoes had those synthetic overlays on them because I was so hard on my shoes - extended their life dramatically, even if uncool.