PDA

View Full Version : Jarred red peppers

Canice
08-06-2011, 02:06 PM
I posted a red pepper and goat cheese lasagne recipe on another thread. I'd like to make it again, but with my new range roasted peppers is problematic, and I thought of just going with jarred. Any reason not to? Any idea how much to buy to equal "six large"? Any brands or qualities to look for?
TIA

heavy hedonist
08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
I posted a red pepper and goat cheese lasagne recipe on another thread. I'd like to make it again, but with my new range roasted peppers is problematic, and I thought of just going with jarred. Any reason not to? Any idea how much to buy to equal "six large"? Any brands or qualities to look for?
TIA

If you have a TJ's near you, I'd sub their frozen roasted peppers-- not the strips, which are awfully bitter, but the big halves. One to two bags shgould give you plenty, and the beauty is, less sodium and you can use just what the recipe calls for as they're frozen in halves. I used to use them all the time as a sub for jarred-- just thaw or defrost in the microwave.

if not, try to find a brand, like Gia Russa that I use here, that jars large pieces instead of strips... then you can piece them into whole peppers. six roasted peppers is alot to sub alot jarred for, though.

Canice
08-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Frozen roasted peppers? Who knew! Sounds like a great solution. Yea, six is a lot; would be a pain to roast and prepare that many even if I didn't have issues with my "new" range.

I'm curious about the sodium comment: years ago I bought jarred red peppers and hated them, discovered they were in something other than olive oil. Since then, I think I've bought them maybe twice, and they were OK, I think they were in oil - where does the sodium come from?

HealthyinMN
08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm curious about the sodium comment: years ago I bought jarred red peppers and hated them, discovered they were in something other than olive oil. Since then, I think I've bought them maybe twice, and they were OK, I think they were in oil - where does the sodium come from?

Many brands come packed in an acidic brine.

Canice
08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Ah, that explains my first, unpleasant, experience. Yuck. I'm going to pick up the frozen ones if they have them.

PattiA
08-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Easy oven roasted red peppers = oven at 425F or 450F. Split peppers in half, core and seed. Put pepper halves on a foil lined baking sheet. Press on each half with an open hand to flatten it (you don't have to do this, but they will cook more evenly if flattened) Stick em in the oven til the skins blacken. Put the peppers in a bowl. Cover with foil, plastic wrap, or a plate. Let cool. As long as the pepper is well blackened, the skins will slip right off. So easy. Takes about 20 minutes and you can do something else while they cook and cool.

Sheila in MD
08-07-2011, 09:56 AM
THe MD TJ's used to sell frozen red pepper halves (not roasted but I used to roast those!) but I haven't seen them in forever:-(

I almost always roast my own but I have found in a few things it doesn't matter...like the roasted red pepper cheese dip that has been posted here...I sub rinsed jarred ones and don't notice a difference but in a salad or whatever I would notice! I think the jarred ones can be a bit bitter for lack of a better word to describe what I mean!

Sheila in MD