PDA

View Full Version : Need squash assistance!

Kathy B
09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
We are not big squash eaters, but I have somewhat of a stockpile of them thanks to my CSA. I have used a few of the zucchini, but I think I'd prefer to cook and freeze as puree for baking if these will work for that. I am not even sure what some of them ARE! :o I Googled, andI think I have a couple of carnival squash, and one may be a Kabocha(?). I KNOW I have a small butternut, although I think I can figure out something to do with that.

Any pointers as to how to cook and freeze or otherwise best use these fellows would be greatly appreciated. I am a little clueless.....(and maybe a bit intimidated). TIA!

heavy hedonist
09-23-2011, 08:12 AM
We are not big squash eaters, but I have somewhat of a stockpile of them thanks to my CSA. I have used a few of the zucchini, but I think I'd prefer to cook and freeze as puree for baking if these will work for that. I am not even sure what some of them ARE! :o I Googled, andI think I have a couple of carnival squash, and one may be a Kabocha(?). I KNOW I have a small butternut, although I think I can figure out something to do with that.

Any pointers as to how to cook and freeze or otherwise best use these fellows would be greatly appreciated. I am a little clueless.....(and maybe a bit intimidated). TIA!

bonappetit had a few yummy ccake recipes in the last couple years that feature kabocha or butternut squash. here's a couple links to several recipes i remember, some of which I've used and liked, and also some from Food and Wine:

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=kabocha+cake&x=49&y=7

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=butternut+cake&x=0&y=0

http://www.foodandwine.com/search?query=butternut+squash+cake&search_cat=recipes

EmptyNestMom
09-23-2011, 08:44 AM
I found the following two recipes at tinyurbankitchen.com that sound very good...haven't tried them but I am going to the market in the morning and have seen the Kabocha Squash there and I have dedicated this weekend to preparation of food...

Oven Roasted Kabocha Squash
1 kabocha squash
1/4 tsp salt
pepper (to taste)
2 T vegetable oil
truffle oil (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut up one kabocha squash into 1-cm thick slices. You can optionally remove the skin, but there is really no need to remove it. It's totally edible and is quite soft once roasted. Lay the pieces in one layer on a pan. Drizzle with vegetable oil (enough to light cover - about 2 tablespoons) and toss until all sides of the squash are covered with some oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss, and then roast for about 20 minutes, or until soft.

or

Kabocha Squash Gnocchipreparation time: 2 hours | serves 4
1 kabocha squash, baked
2 eggs
Salt
1 cup flour

Preparing the Squash
Preheat oven to 350°. Cut squash in half, slather the flesh with vegetable oil, and place the halves (facedown) in a baking pan. Bake until soft, about 45 min to 1 h. Remove from oven and, when cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh. Transfer to a large bowl, add eggs, and mash together with a potato masher. Season to taste with salt, then work in flour to form a thick, soft dough.

Because kabocha squash is a pretty starchy squash, it does not give off much water, and therefore the gnocchi dough is surprisingly easy to handle.

Working in portions, roll out the gnocchi into foot long "snakes" and cut them into bite size pieces. Press the tines of a fork into each one to give it that characteristic gnocchi shape.

At this point, you can freeze or refrigerate the gnocchi for future use. You can Boil or Pan Fry at this point...
To Boil: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi pieces (they should sink) and wait until they float. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Drain water, and serve with sauce.

To pan fry, heat up a small amount of vegetable oil (or butter! I did mixture of both) in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Pan fry the gnocchi on one side for a few minutes until the edges are brown. Flip over, and fry on the other side until browned.

Beth
09-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I haven't done a lot of fall squash things, but my understanding is that they all pretty much cook the same and can probably be used interchangeably -- so if you aren't sure what kind it is, you can cook it the same way and then try to find another if you like it or avoid it if you dont

I was going to suggest roasting or steaming and pr=ureeing to make soup -- I love roasted butternut, pimpkin and other fall squash soups.

Canice
09-23-2011, 10:06 AM
That one I made last week with acorn and butternut squashes an apple was definitely one of the best in ages, but I'm super partial to stuffed squash, both summer and winter varieties; I wonder if you would like it any better with lots of other flavors?