PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Danish Puff Pastry

McSix
12-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I've made a Danish Puff Pastry for years but this time the dough didn't "puff." It's more like a brownie. This is the first time I used a mixer to make the puff pastry-could that be the problem? I cooked it as long as I always did, and the edges were browned. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

rlrobb
12-16-2011, 09:05 AM
When you say "Danish Puff Pastry" are you talking about the batter that's like a cream puff where you cook the dough on the stovetop and add eggs? If so, it could be that you didn't beat enough steam out of the batter with the mixer before adding the eggs. If your recipe has always worked before with another beating method, I'd go back to your old way!

I did an experiment with making cream puffs three different ways a while back. I beat one batch by hand, one in the KitchenAid mixer and one in a food processor. I had the best puffing results with the food processor method.

McSix
12-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Rebecca. Your reply was very interesting...I think I'm going to do a little experimenting myself. Yes, that was exactly the process I was talking about.