PDA

View Full Version : Best Meat thermometer

sharon kopenski
12-31-2011, 06:48 AM
I have tried many from the digital with a wire to the old round probes. I love the digital ones that you can leave in the meat, but they break. Mostly because you can't use them in an oven over 392(I forget that) and the probes are frequent breakers.

My question is what do you use and has anyone tried a thermapen. They are pricy and you can't leave them in the oven but they might be accurate. I'm getting frustrated with thermometers that don't work.

I"d love your suggestions.

SDCook56
12-31-2011, 07:26 AM
I have the OXO Good Grips Digital and it is rated to 482 degrees oven temperature. That seems pretty high. A comment I read was one user had the oven at 425 and the rubber on the probe melted. My thought is the oven probably runs hot. So, there is that to take into consideration.
The probe/cord wraps around the display for storage, although it might be best to not wrap the cord around the display to prevent possible breakage of the cord.
My dial thermometer that I've had forever and can be left in meat is a Springfield. A lot of the dial ones now are instant read and can't be left in the meat as the bezel is plastic and will melt. I imagine there are some leave-in dial models out there, I just haven't looked for one in ages.

Cafe Latte
12-31-2011, 07:45 AM
I still use my Pampered Chef thermometer from about 10 years ago. You leave the probe in the meat and it beeps when it comes to the temp you set. It has never failed me. I really don't know what is out there now as I haven't had to look for one in years.

Holly in KC
12-31-2011, 08:04 AM
I own a Thermapen based on Alton Brown's recommendation. Love it. Very accurate, quick, easy to use.

sharhamm
12-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Love my Thermapen also. It takes a 2-3 second to get a reading. Great for the BBQ. Pricey but worth every penny.

Beth
12-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Thermopen has another thermometer on their website (http://www.thermoworks.com/) that runs about $20 and says it has a 6 second response time. I got one of each for Christmas and tested them side by side. Before posting, I went back and did another test with hot water in the same cup. They both respond immediately. The thermopen appears to reach "final" temp literally one or two seconds before the less expensive one. It also seemed to come back down a couple of seconds slower when I pulled it out. They are not instant there.

When I went to get the link, I noticed the two I got are right at the top of the list. Both have specials going right now. They also have thermometers with oven probes -- even one that has 2 probes so you can keep an eye on the oven or grill temp and one on the food. Lots of options.

I haven't had mine long, but I think I've finally found a thermometer that won't leave me standing with the oven door open wondering if my meat is done. Not regretting either one so far (having more than one is not a bad thing in a busy kitchen, but I'm only going to try one $90 thermometer at a time).

Laurielee
12-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Boy, I am glad this question was asked. After my turkey not getting done at Thanksgiving and my beef tenderloin very rare at Christmas and then yesterday my sirloin roast saying done after half an hour, In a panic I called my neighbor who gave me a probe and an intstant read. My thermometer was hotter by 30 degrees:eek:

So do those of you use both a thermapen and a leave in probe at the same time?

Mary Ann
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I got this (http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html) one from website Beth posted above for Christmas. I've only used it once, but so far I'm very happy with it. I found it while checking Cook's Illustrated for recommendations, because I couldn't justify the Thermapen.:o

Beth
12-31-2011, 10:27 AM
I have an oven probe that came with my oven, but I've never used it. I always insert a thermometer when I need a check. If you have a good thermometer, you should be able to use one and trust it without needing another. The two probe mentioned above is probably handy for folks doing large scale commercial cooking or slow cooking -- like barbecue and smoking, so they can monitor the cooking temp on an ongoing basis as well as the progress of the food.

The one Mary Ann posted is the second one I got. If you can't spend $90 for a Thermopen, I think you can feel very good about using that one. It might even fit in your drawer or utensil crock better - it it longer but much narrower. The Thermopen is larger than it looks.

Linda in MO
12-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Thermopen has another thermometer on their website (http://www.thermoworks.com/) that runs about $20 and says it has a 6 second response time. I got one of each for Christmas and tested them side by side.
When I went to get the link, I noticed the two I got are right at the top of the list. Both have specials going right now. .
Thanks for posting this! I got that thermometer plus the one with the probe you leave in the food for $34.99 total (that's with tax and shipping). Yay!

sharon kopenski
12-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I bought the two probe digital yesterday and you can't program the temp setting, they are all preset based on 8 meat levels. I also checked Cooks Illustrated for their recommendations and even they only recommend with reservations because the probes malfunction. I love leaving the thermometer in the meat while it cooks, but I'm tired of inaccuracies. So based on all your wonderful comments, I am off for the $20 thermopen That said, does anyone still use the big round probe thermometers that my Mom and your grandmothers used. The sell for cheap and you can leave them in the meat but they have a thick probe. Just curious how they might work, but I am off to order the thermopen. Thanks again.

sharon kopenski
12-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh I bought two!

RT600C 1 RT600C Super-Fast Waterproof Pocket Thermometer, -58 to 302°F, 6 Seconds!
$16.00 $16.00

TW362B 1 Cooking Alarm Thermometer/Timer (New with on/off switch)
$15.00 $15.00

PattiA
12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
The Thermoworks probe alarm thermometer is my favorite probe/alarm thermometer. I just gave one of mine to my mother, so I need to order another one before the sale ends. With a pot clip, it is a great candy thermometer. I use it to make caramels.

Beth
12-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I may have to look at that -- seems I replace candy thermometers with some regularity. :o

RiverFarm
01-01-2012, 09:53 AM
We have had a Thermapen for several years and I love its quick response time. It also seems very accurate. I use it for meat and poultry, and even for bread to see if it's really done. We have a couple of the old candy-type thermometers and they're good for making sure the water is the right temperature when we're plucking chickens, but I don't use them for anything else.