PDA

View Full Version : Need a new hand mixer…

foodie18
02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I've been using a Cuisinart for eons and it needs to be replaced. I'm thinking of just getting the same one again but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had other recommendations.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/hand_mixers/hm-50.html

LadyWild
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Cooks illustrated has a review from 2009. They rated the Cuisinart Power Advantage 7-Speed Hand Mixer as number 1.

Just to complicate things, this is the order from Consumer reports. The Kitchenaid out performed the Cusinart in their tests in ease of use, noise, and whipping time. It was equal in mixing.
Kitchenaid Architect Series KHM920A[CS]
Cooks 10-speed HM820 (JCPenny)
KitchenAid Artisan KHM7TWH5 7-speed digital
Kitchenaid Ultra Power 5 KHM5AP[WH]
Toastess Delfino DLHM-564]
cusinart Power Advantage HM-50
cusinart Power Advantage HM-70

charley
02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I've had a Braun Multi Mix for years. I use it for regular mixing and bread dough. Have never used any of the attachments except the dough hooks.

http://www.braun.com/global/household/food-preparation/hand-mixers/multimix.html

vbak
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I've had my Kitchen aide for 10 plus years. it handles stiff cookie dough very well.

ljt2r
02-04-2012, 11:28 PM
I really like my Cuisinart 9 speed--but I never use it for anything stiff, preferring my stand mixer. ANyway what I really wanted to say is that the last few years Williams and Sonoma has had a sale in the fall where you can buy any of their hand mixers for $50. That's how I got mine. So if you can wait...... :p

I have this one, sans case:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-hand-mixer-storage-case/?pkey=e%7Chand%2Bmixer%7C4%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C% 7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

buckdandon
02-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I would recomend a kitchen aide mixer with all the gadgets, I heard there great!:cool:

gabbyh
02-05-2012, 08:00 AM
I have a KA stand, and a KA hand digital...I use my KA hand much more than the stand :D have had it for seveal years!

~Gail

Tutalady
02-05-2012, 09:37 AM
My Kitchen Aid really doesn't have different speeds.........have had it for years and think I got a lemon!!
But then, I don't care for my Kitchen Aid food processor either...the lid almost HAS to go thru the dishwasher to come clean. Has a crazy little lip and I just can't get to it when washing it by hand.

foodie18
02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Cooks illustrated has a review from 2009. They rated the Cuisinart Power Advantage 7-Speed Hand Mixer as number 1.

Just to complicate things, this is the order from Consumer reports. The Kitchenaid out performed the Cusinart in their tests in ease of use, noise, and whipping time. It was equal in mixing.
Kitchenaid Architect Series KHM920A[CS]
Cooks 10-speed HM820 (JCPenny)
KitchenAid Artisan KHM7TWH5 7-speed digital
Kitchenaid Ultra Power 5 KHM5AP[WH]
Toastess Delfino DLHM-564]
cusinart Power Advantage HM-50
cusinart Power Advantage HM-70

Oh dear yes. This does confuse things! I will log onto CR and check out the reviews.

I have a KA stand mixer which I find myself using much more than I used to but still prefer the hand mixer for certain things like cookie and brownie batters.

VictoriaL
02-05-2012, 10:06 AM
It depends on what you use the hand mixer for and how often you use it.

I have a KA stand mixer that I use for anything "heavy" or that take a long time to beat (bread dough, marshmallows, etc.) and a hand mixer for "lighter" jobs such as whipping up egg whites, cake batter, etc. Average, I may use the hand mixer 3-4 times per month.

I've found that an inexpensive hand mixer is the best for me. Mine was a three-speed Sunbeam that died after 15 years and I recently replaced it with a Proctor-Silex, 125 watt, 5 speed that I picked up for around $10. Hopefully it will also last for many years. :)

charley
02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
My hand mixer has to do it all. I don't have (or want) a stand mixer. When I'm mixing bread dough I have to do it in timed sessions no longer than 5 minutes each. Then I let the machine rest for 5, before resuming mixing/kneading.

wallycat
02-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't bake much anymore, but got the KA hand mixer at the Williams-sonoma sale year-end. Not the cutest color, but for under $50, a deal, IMHO. My sister gave me a gift card I used with it so for me, it worked out to much, much less.

AzAnne
02-05-2012, 06:26 PM
If your thinking of getting a KA, don't bother with the 5 speed :(
It doesn't have enough umph to whip up some potatoes, and it seemed to me to take longer to beat egg whites.

My previous hand mixer was a low $$ sunbeam and was a work horse but had a very untimely death 1 -1/2 weeks before Christmas. Less than a week later my KA Professional 600 stand-mixer also bit the dust :( I really didn't have time to research, needed to get something quick so ended up buying KA 5 speed hand mixer.

So now I'm back in the market for both a hand and stand.