PDA

View Full Version : Sauteed Kale with Golden Garlic and Dates

Clover
02-08-2012, 02:29 AM
This is from the December 2011 Vegetarian Times (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11834?section=), and I've made it three times now in about two weeks. I've never been too enamored of kale and usually substitute chard, but I've been trying to give it a chance. I also think dates are ok when they're chopped up and baked in something, but they're just too sweet and sticky plain. BUT I love both of them in this recipe. The kale and crispy garlic and sweet dates and vinegar are so good together. (And salt and pepper. It says "if desired." I'd say "to taste.")

I've never made a full recipe of it, and I don't actually measure anything. I don't think exact measurements are crucial here. I'm more generous with the vinegar than VT is. It says 2 teaspoons for the full recipes, and I used more than that for a partial recipe. Again, to taste. Also, I don't find any need to drain the kale in a colander after sauteeing in order to "remove excess liquid." It's sauteed in an uncovered pan with no liquid added, so I don't know where the excess liquid would come from. I skipped that part and left the kale in the pan. It's very flavorful and satisfying.

Sauteed Kale with Golden Garlic and Dates

Once you've tried this tasty dish, you'll find yourself making it again and again. (Very true)

Serves 4
• 2 Tbs. olive oil
• 1/3 cup thinly sliced cloves garlic
• 3 bunches kale, tough ribs removed, chopped (1 3/4 lb.)
• 1/3 cup slivered pitted dates
• 2 tsp. sherry vinegar

1. Heat oil and garlic in skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, or until garlic starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Spread garlic on plate in single layer. Add a few handfuls of kale to pan, and stir until it wilts. Add remaining kale a few handfuls at a time; sauté 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.

2. Transfer kale to colander to drain, pressing to remove excess liquid. Return kale to pan, and stir in dates and vinegar. Heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve sprinkled with garlic.

Per 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 143, Protein: 4g, Total fat: 6g, Saturated fat: <1g, Carbs: 23g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 36mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 11g

margeslp
02-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Intriguing combo of ingredients - will try

Anne
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Wonderful, a new way to cook kale. With the combination of dates and vinegar is it a bit like a sweet-sour?

Clover
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Wonderful, a new way to cook kale. With the combination of dates and vinegar is it a bit like a sweet-sour?
Well, yes, with the amount of vinegar I used, but it's a real combination of flavors, not just sweet and sour. It's quite garlicky, a little salt, maybe a touch of bitterness. (At least the first time because it said to cook the garlic over medium high heat and some of it got past golden before I could get it out of the pan. It was still good that way, but I've used lower heat since then. I don't know why I let them tell me what to do. I really knew better.) Anyway, it's sort of a party-in-your-mouth flavor profile. Next time I'm adding some red pepper flakes and then it will have everything.