PDA

View Full Version : yummy cabbage recipes?

beckms
09-12-2001, 02:52 PM
If I watch that plane crash into the WTC tower in slow motion one more time, I think I will be sick. Honestly, how can reporters live with themselves? Some of them have been respectful, but I have heard so many of them ask survivors:"so what was it like to crawl out of the rubble? Were you scared? Did you see anyone die?" Please. If any of you are reporters out there, please remember that we don't want to hear the tacky, pandering questions anymore. Have some class! We just want to make sure people are OK.

I can't watch TV anymore, it's too horrible. So I'll cook instead...

Anyone know any good recipes for green cabbage? I've also got some ground beef in the freezer.

Rebecca

deb
09-12-2001, 02:57 PM
A while back CL published a good recipe for cabbage rolls which we really like and that I have made several times. The recipe calls for ground turkey which is what we use. I suppose you could sub ground beef. I'm not sure which issue is was from but if you are interested I will post when I get home from work.

Gail
09-12-2001, 03:09 PM
I'll leave the cabbage rolls and stuffed cabbage recipes to the experts and briefly mention an un-recipe used in my family. No amounts here; it's strictly one of those "wing it" things.

Shred your cabbage and either crush or mince fresh garlic. Sauté the garlic briefly in a bit of olive oil, then dump in your cabbage and stir-fry for several minutes, till it's starting to cook. Then lower the heat, sprinkle with soy sauce, cover the pan and let the whole thing steam and soften for a few minutes (depending how limp you happen to want it.) Toss again and serve with steamed rice.

My mom does this with onion, I like garlic. It's easy and surprisingly good either as an all-veggie meal or as a side dish to a plain meat (I do this with my corned beef instead of plain, boiled cabbage.)

Good stuff!

DmOrtega
09-12-2001, 03:09 PM
This is really easy to make and tastes great. This is from Foodtv.com

Pasta, Garlic and Savoy Cabbage Threads

Recipe courtesy of Michele Urvater

12 ounces perciatelli or spaghetti
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon or more of garlic paste
1 pound savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped italian parsley

Bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta for 10 minutes or until al dente or according to package directions. Meanwhile heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic paste, cabbage, and red pepper and saute for a moment to coat the cabbage. Add the broth. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. While this is cooking whisk ricotta and Parmesan cheese together Drain pasta, reserving some of cooking liquid to whisk into ricotta cheese mixture to loosen it. Add cooked cabbage, and cheeses to pasta and toss. Garnish with parsley.

Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Leanne
09-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Here's an easy soup or side that my DH makes.
1/2 head cabbage chopped
1 can diced tomatoes

Boil cabbage in water for about an hour. Add tomatoes. Boil for about 30 minutes. Add water if you wnat it soupy, or not so much water if you want more of a side.

Add some black pepper to taste.

Varaile
09-12-2001, 07:03 PM
This is my favorite stuffed cabbage recipe:

By: Shea MacKenzie

Wild Rice and Cabbage

Filling:
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1 cup uncooked brown rice
3 cups water
1 medium-sized head green cabbage, cored
vegetable oil (to coat casserole dish)
2 eggs beaten (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1/2 medium sized sweet yellow onion
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Appenzeller or Gouda cheese
1/2 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Sauce:
1 (16oz) can plum tomatoes, undrained
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/4 tsp crushed dried hot red chiles

1. In a medium sized pot, combine the wild and brown rice with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender (about 45 min.).

2. While rice is cooking, immerse the cored cabbage in a large pot of boiling water and simmer for two minutes. Tranfer the cabbage to a colander and drain under cold water. Gently separate the leaves and drain them on absorbent paper towels. Trim the spine from each.

3. Preheat overn to 400* Lightly coat 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with vegetable oil and set aside.

4. Transfer cooked rice to a large bowl. Add the eggs, chopped tomatoes, onion, cheese, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.

5. Place 2 tbsp of rice filling in the center of a cabbage leaf. Fold up the bottom of the leaf, then fold in the sides and roll up tightly. Place the roll seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with remainder.

6. To prepare the sauce, puree the plum tomatoes, cumin, garlic, sherry and chiles in a blender or food processor. Pour sauce over the cabbage rolls and cover.

7. Bake 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.

These go great with old fashioned bread or crusty bread! :D

Holly in KC
09-12-2001, 07:13 PM
I really like CL's Hot Corned Beef Potato Hash - I usually have it a couple of times a year - usually around March.

Warning: You probably need to enjoy German flavors to enjoy this dish. There have been a couple of people that tried it and hated it. If you like warm, vinegary German potato salad, you'll probably like this recipe. If you don't... don't try this one.

SandyM
09-12-2001, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Gail
Shred your cabbage and either crush or mince fresh garlic. Sauté the garlic briefly in a bit of olive oil, then dump in your cabbage and stir-fry for several minutes, till it's starting to cook. Then lower the heat, sprinkle with soy sauce, cover the pan and let the whole thing steam and soften for a few minutes (depending how limp you happen to want it.) Toss again and serve with steamed rice.

My mom does this with onion, I like garlic. It's easy and surprisingly good either as an all-veggie meal or as a side dish to a plain meat (I do this with my corned beef instead of plain, boiled cabbage.)

Good stuff!

This sounds great, Gail - thanks for sharing.

I love cabbage, in any way, shape, or form. Raw, cooked, shredded, diced, whatever. This is just another fun and interesting (and I'm certain, delicious) way to prepare it.

Would the Godddess (or her mother) be displeased if I used both garlic and onion??? ;)

sneezles
09-12-2001, 07:30 PM
I came to see the request for cabbage and while I know I have one somewhere, I just wanted to say that I agree totally with what you wrote. It's amazing how reporters, anchors, commentators can ask and/or say anything but an ordinary person expresses an opinion and they can be immediately confronted with others demanding that speculations or opinions not be voiced too quickly. Heaven forbid that the guy off the street jump to a conclusion while having a microphone in front of your face, as part of you job description, entitles you not only to ask stupid questions but to also give your opinion/estimation as to why events occured...Sorry for the diatribe but gave an opinion/feeling yesterday that was really hoping for Human Error rather than Human Terror and it was quickly shot down by someone with no more experience in this matter than my own, yet we sat there all day listening to opinions and conjectures of people who knew no more than anyone else but for the fact that they were on camera so therefore THEY must know!!!!

keeganm
09-13-2001, 09:14 AM
I just got a new Penzey's catalogue and there was a recipe for "unstuffed cabbage rolls" for the cooks that love cabbage rolls but didn't want to go through all the work. It looks really good, I think it is one of those one-pot meals. I've been thinking about trying it...if anyone does this one, let me know!

DmOrtega
09-13-2001, 09:35 AM
Savoy Cabbage Soup with Mozzerella Crostini

Serves 6

1 firm fresh Savoy cabbage, about 2 pounds
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon shopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 cup canned plum tomatoes, drained (I use 15 oz can of chopped tomatoes)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
6 slices ciabatta bread
6 slices buffala mozzerella
Extra virgin olive oil

Remove any tough or damaged outer leaves from the cabage and discard. Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Cut into fine slices.

In a thick-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil, add the garlic and parsley, and cook until soft. Add the tomatoes and stir, breaking them up with the spoon. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, stir to combine then cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is completely tender, about 20 minutes. Test for seasoning.

Toast the ciabatta slices under the broiler and place one in each soup bowl. Place a mozzerella slice on top. Spoon the cabbage and broth over and drizzle with ample extra virgn olive oil.

From "River Cafe Cookbook Green" by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers

LGBurns
09-14-2001, 08:11 AM
This is a great soup recipe. I've posted it before but rather than sending you to that link I'm just copying it in here. It's from Eating Well magazine.

Autumn Minestrone

1 cup dried white beans, such as cannellini or great northern (I always use 1 can, instead)
1 cup wheat berries
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (I usually add more -- I love garlic)
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 cups water
1/2 small head cabbage, halved, cored and coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 lb. green beans, ends trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably Italian flat-leaf
Sat & freshly ground black pepper to taste
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Put dried beans and wheat berries in separate bowls. Add enough water to cover each by 1 inch. Soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain wheat berries and set aside. Drain beans and place in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover and adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until beans are just tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside to cool. (If you use canned beans, you can obviously skip this step.)
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, sage and rosemary. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add reserved wheat berries, tomatoes, broth and water; bring to a simmer. Cover and adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until wheat berries are al dente, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
4. Add cabbage, carrots, green beans and reserved beans with their liquid. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with Parmesan, if using.
(The soup will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.)
Makes about 16 cups for 12 servings.
170 calories; 8 grams protein; 3 grams fat (0.4 saturated); 29 grams carbs; 210 mg sodium; 1 mg chol; 6 grams fiber.

Susan
09-14-2001, 09:14 AM
From an old issue of CL:

Nonnie's Spaghini Stick-to-your-Ribs soup

1 lb ground round
5 cups water
4 cups chopped green cabbage
3 1/2 cups tomato juice
1 T dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
3 cans kidney beans -- 15 oz
3 cans whole tomato -- 14.5 oz
2 cans no-salt-added beef broth
8 oz angel hair pasta

Cook the ground round in a large Durch oven over medium heat until browned; drain. Add water and the next 10 ingredients (water through broth) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 2 hours stirring occaisonally. Break pasta in half; stir into soup and cook 5 more minutes or until pasta is done.

Gail
09-14-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SandyM

This sounds great, Gail - thanks for sharing.

I love cabbage, in any way, shape, or form. Raw, cooked, shredded, diced, whatever. This is just another fun and interesting (and I'm certain, delicious) way to prepare it.

Would the Godddess (or her mother) be displeased if I used both garlic and onion??? ;)

Onion and garlic PLEASE the goddess... :D

BTW, I think my mother uses both, too!

...and thanks everyone, for the yummy sounding recipes! Dying to try some of them as soon as my appetite comes back.

LGBurns
09-14-2001, 01:50 PM
Here's another one I just came upon. I haven't tried it yet but it looks delicious! It's from CL Jan/Feb 2000.

Roasted Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage rolls:
1 (3-pound) head cabbage
2 tablespoons water
Cooking spray
1 onion, slivered
1 cup water
1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 cup diced Granny Smith apple
2/3 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
3/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
1 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup water

Basting glaze:
4 bacon slices, chopped
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons water
3/4 teaspoon salt

[list=1]
To prepare cabbage rolls, core cabbage using a serrated knife. Place cabbage in an 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole; add 2 tablespoons water. Loosely cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 9 minutes, rotating baking dish a half-turn after 5 minutes. Cover dish and let stand 15 minutes. Discard any tough dark green leaves. Remove 8 light colored cabbage leaves. Cut off raised portion of the main vein of each leaf, and set leaves aside. Finely chop enough remaining cabbage to measure 1/2 cup, and set aside. Coarsely chop enough remaining cabbage to measure 2 cups; arrange in bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with slivered onion.
Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 8 minutes. Drain well.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage, rice, apple, and the next 7 ingredients (apple through egg). Crumble turkey over mixture; stir just until blended. Place about 1/2 cup turkey mixture in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in edges of leaves, and roll up; place cabbage rolls on top of coarsely chopped cabbage. Cut several 1/4-inch-deep slits across top of each roll. Pour 1/4 cup water over rolls. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
To prepare basting glaze, cook the bacon in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat. Remove bacon from pan; discard bacon drippings. Return bacon to pan; stir in corn syrup and remaining ingredients. Uncover cabbage rolls; spoon one-third basting glaze over cabbage rolls. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour, basting with basting glaze every 20 minutes. Spoon about 1/4 cup remaining cabbage on each 8 plates; top each with 1 cabbage roll.
[/list=1] Yield: 8 servings.

Calories: 223 (20% from fat); Fat 4.9g (sat 1.7g, mono 1.6g, poly 1g); Protein 17.4g; Carb 28.7g; Fiber 4.2g; Chol 69mg; Iron 2.4mg; Sodium 707mg, Calc 107mg

beckms
09-16-2001, 10:54 AM
I made DMOrtega's Savoy Cabbage Soup yesterday, and it was soooo good! Exactly what I wanted on a chilly New England afternoon. I used 4 cloves of garlic, because you can never have too much garlic, and I used French Bread for the croutons. The bread addition at the end really made the soup. It's tasty on its own, but the creamy goodness of the soup-soaked bread really makes this a comfort food.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I can't wait to get to all of them!

Rebecca

LGBurns
09-17-2001, 05:33 PM
I made the Roasted Cabbage Rolls for Sunday dinner. They were pretty time consuming (I started at 5:15 and we didn't eat until almost 8) but they tasted really good. My only change was to use real garlic and added salt instead of garlic salt (I can't stand garlic salt). My husband thought they could use more basting sauce--next time I might at more corn syrup and tomato paste to it without adding more bacon to try to stretch it out. Overall, I'd give it an 8 for taste and a 5 for prep time.