PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes

Curleytop
06-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Where do you store your 5 or 10 pound bags of potatoes?

PAMMELA
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
I store in the bottom of my pantry, usually in a plastic bag (other than the bag it comes in).

charley
06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I never buy more than 5 pounds. I take them out of the bag and place them in a large woven basket at the bottom of the pantry.

Kay Henderson
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
I store them in the pantry in the bag they came in. When I didn't have a pantry, I stored them in a cabinet. I store onions the same way.

The comment about 5 pounds was interesting. At my grocery store, they used to have 5 pound and 10 pound bags. Now they have consolidated to 8 pound bags. For two, 5 pounds is plenty, so the last few potatoes in the new bags get a bit old. I could buy what I want from the open bin, but I don't.

Kay

charley
06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Kay, I actually prefer to buy from the open bins. The only time I buy a bag is when the ones in the bins don't look great.

Cafe Latte
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I only buy 5 lbs (never more) in the winter when I can store them in the garage. Otherwise, I buy them as I intend to use them, or they will end up in the trash.

ccooney
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
In the bottom basket of this (http://www.gardeners.com/Three-Tier-Wirework-Stand/39-802,default,pd.html?start=15&q=3%20tier) with the jute liners, in a dark corner of my kitchen.

PAMMELA
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
I also only ever buy 5 pound bags. I basically buy my bag to make french fries and shredded potatoes that I keep in the freezer. Just last weekend I did the whole 5 pounds as french fries. I soak in ice water, then deep fry at 325 for about 5-6 minutes. I let cool completely and then put in a freezer bag. When we want fries (with burgers, wet fries, cheesy fries, etc.) I just do the second fry at 375 for about 4 minutes and they are perfect. Nice and creamy on the inside and cruncy on the outside. Way better than frozen from the store.

When I make my shredded potatoes, I par-boil them until you can stick a fork, but still firm, then let cool completely and then shred on box grater. I store those in the freezer and we use for hash browns, in burritos, etc. So I always use my entire bag of potatoes!

LeaHamm
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Since I started cooking for 1, I never buy 10 pound bags, unless they are on *extreme* sale and I know I can share with someone. Even a 5 pound bag will start to sprout before I can use them all.

I have discovered that (for me) buying just 3-4 baking potatoes works best, and I store them in a hand-thrown rustic bowl, or in an antique shallow basket, on my kitchen counter.

Just one large baking potato will make enough Potato Salad for several meals. Half a baking potato cooks in half the time and is just the right portion. Sometimes I make twice-baked potatoes (one half to eat now - one for later when I have less time, or feel less like cooking.)

Canice
06-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Haha, I forgot potatoes even come in bags! My mom bought them, but I've only ever cooked for one or two so buy them as-needed. Ex-DBF's house, built in the 1930s, had a cupboard with open slats into the central courtyard, for storing onions and potatoes. It may be an Asian neighborhood today, but it was Irish in the '30s, lol!
Anyhow, I thought cool and dark and not too close to the onions was the general rule.

RebelYell18
06-14-2012, 01:06 PM
When I make my shredded potatoes, I par-boil them until you can stick a fork, but still firm, then let cool completely and then shred on box grater. I store those in the freezer and we use for hash browns, in burritos, etc. So I always use my entire bag of potatoes!

What a great idea...and also, a "duh, why didn't I think of that?" moment! :)

LakeMartinGal
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
I have discovered that (for me) buying just 3-4 baking potatoes works best, and I store them in a hand-thrown rustic bowl, or in an antique shallow basket, on my kitchen counter.I do this, too, and I cook for 2, mostly. We just aren't into potatoes that much (mostly because of what we "have to" put on them :rolleyes:), so I generally only buy them when I have them on the weekly menu, and never any extras.

I like to pick them out separately, so I don't get any of the green ones that hide in the bags!;)

Anne
06-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I store them in cardboard boxes in the basement. My best crop lasted until 4th of July potato salad. Usually they are gone by March or April.