PDA

View Full Version : freezing cookies with icing?

greysangel
09-19-2001, 02:09 PM
hey there :)

I'm pretty new at the whole baking thing and I'm planning to make some gingerbread cookies (in shapes of wings and devil horns) with icing for this heaven in hell party I am doing. My question is how long will these keep in an airtight container? Can I layer them or will the icing rub off? Can they be frozen?

Thanks for all your help :)

JeAnne, better at dinner than dessert!

schuh
09-19-2001, 02:15 PM
I'm curious to hear more about your party!

The answers to many of your questions depend on what kind of icing you're using. If you're using royal icing (which has meringue powder in it and dries hard) they can be layered and frozen with no problem. These are probably the easiest cookies to manage.

If you're using a glaze (confectioner's sugar and some sort of liquid), wait until the cookies dry and then layer with wax paper between them.

If you're using a bakery-type frosting you'll again need to wait for them to dry before layering with wax paper.

Don't use the frosting you buy at the grocery store. It stays sticky forever and the only way to store them will be in a single layer.

Freezing is fine -- just wrap well.

Mamasue
09-19-2001, 02:16 PM
JeAnne....I make gingerbread cookies at Christmas time and make them ahead of time as well as other assorted cookies and freeze. Make your cookies and when they are completely cool freeze them as is. Frost them a day or two before you are going to serve them. If you want to store them in a container after they are frosted and decorated make sure that the icing is completely dry and hard before you start stacking them or else they will stick to each other. If you need an icing recipe, I have one that I use with success. Goog Luck!

SandyM
09-19-2001, 02:16 PM
Hi JeAnne,

In my experience, it's best to freeze the cookies unfrosted, then frost before your party. I've done this with my Christmas cut-outs, and it works like a charm.

I've tried freezing frosted cookies, and the frosting came out hard as a rock.

After they're frosted, I put mine in an air-tight Rubbermaid or Tupperware container, with a sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap between each layer.

Good luck!

greysangel
09-19-2001, 02:32 PM
ok...here's the thing.

I am using royal icing but my recipe has no meringue powder :( It's a Martha Stewart recipe... egg whites, confectioner's sugar, lemon juice and optional glycerin.

Will this still be hard?

Thanks for advice on frosting after pulling out of the freezer. I wasn't sure if you can frost cold cookies :D I think I should do a trial batch...hehe.

As for my party it's a sort of pre halloween costume party for adults :cool: The theme is heaven in hell and there will be gift certificates for best dressed etc. People are to show up as one of the heavenly hosts or one of hell's many minions :) I love halloween so I always do something pretty big.

It was very hard to do just heaven /hell food themes so I'm mixing and matching :)

Serving:

Cookies as mentioned
Tiramisu in individual foil cups
Double diablo chocolate cupcakes
Fruit Salsa with sugar cinnamin crisps

table will also be decorated with black and red licorice "whips" and cinnamin red hots

Mushroom crescents (thanks to the board!)
sour cream/salsa dip with veggies stacked on pitchforks and tortilla chips
Asiago dip with crostini
Garden veggie pizza bites
BBQ chicken in corn tortilla roll ups
Muffaletta pinwheels (thanks to my giant jar of olive salad!)

Hope it looks good!

JeAnne

greysangel
09-19-2001, 02:35 PM
how long will they stay fresh without freezing?

Thanks again!

J

Mamasue
09-19-2001, 02:38 PM
Ooooo...the party sounds cool! Here is the recipe and icing that I use and have been using for a few years with much success. I also love using the powdered eggs too with no problem.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Patti Paige's Gingerbread Cookie

Recipe By :Martha Stewart Holidays
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies/Bars Holiday

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup light brown sugar -- firmly packed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
3/4 cup dark molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar. Add spices, salt, egg, and molasses, and beat well. Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; add to butter mixture and beat again. Chill dough for several hours. Heat oven 350 degrees. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.

Royal Icing: 2 large egg whites (or equivelent powdered egg whites); 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar; juice of 1 lemon.

Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add sugar, lemon juice and beat for 1 minute more. If icing is too thick, add a little water. If too thin, add more sugar. Spread on cookies or decorate with pastry bag and tip.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Patti Paige, a New York baker, produced this delicious gingerbread dough. This recipe is published in Martha Stewart's Holiday's book.
Sue's Note: The best cutout recipe yet! Make this recipe for Christmas cookies

Jewel
09-19-2001, 03:07 PM
JeAnne, I'm surprised at you!! You're having a 'Heaven in Hell' party and you're not serving Angel Food Cake or Devil's Food Cake in any form?? Say it ain't so!! :D

greysangel
09-19-2001, 03:10 PM
tiramisu is carry me to heaven isn't it? :)

and the double diablo is devil's food :)

Jewel, do you think I would do a thing like that?

JeAnne

madpots
09-19-2001, 05:00 PM
I have 2 questions. First, could I have the recipe for muffaletta pinwheels.
About freezing cookies, I am very interested. I was thinking about freezing the frosted cookies in one layer, then layering them. Would that work?

schuh
09-19-2001, 07:46 PM
The meringue powder is basically egg whites. It's works well and no risk of salmonella. If you're interested I can post a recipe using meringue powder.

As for how long, what were you thinking? I'm guessing a few weeks is fine.

Your party is so creative and your menu sounds yummy. Hope you have a great time!