PDA

View Full Version : Banana Cake recipe needed

Donnalee
08-27-2000, 07:33 PM
I want to make a banana cake for a birthday for one of my coworkers. There was one in the May 99 issue on page 138 (I got this from the annual CL recipe listing), but I don't have that issue. Would someone please share the recipe with me? It sounds good. Did anyone ever try it?

Peggy
08-27-2000, 09:22 PM
Donnalee,

Hope this is the one...I haven't personally made it but it does look good!

Banana Layer Cake with Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting

Cooking Spray
1 T flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 teas vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 cups flour
3/4 teas baking soda
1/2 teas salt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe)
1 1/2 cups sliced ripe banana (about 2)

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.

2. Coat bottoms of 2 (9 inch) cake pans with cooking spray (do not coat sides of the pans); line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust with 1 T flour.

3. Beat sugar, shortening and vanilla at medium speed in a mixer for 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time; beat well after each addition. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Combine 2 cups flour, soda and salt with a whisk. Combine mashed banana and buttermilk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternating with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

4. Pour batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap pans once on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Remove wax paper. Cool completely on wire rack.

5. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting. Arrange banana slices over frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Chill for 1 hour. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator. Yield - 18 servings.

Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting

1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, chilled
1 teas grated lemon rind
1 teas vanilla extract
1 (8oz) block 1/3-less fat cream cheese
3 cups sifted powdered sugar

1. Beat first four ingredients at high speed of a mixer about 2 minutes or until smooth (do not overbeat). Gradually add powdered sugar, and beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat). Cover and chill for 2 hours.

nanadee
08-27-2000, 09:47 PM
I have a wonderful recipe for a banana cake. I printed a copy so i'm not sure if it came from May's issue. It is "Banana Layer Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting." If this is it, it is wonderful!!! If this is not the one in May's issue, I will post for you if you like.

[This message has been edited by nanadee (edited 08-27-2000).]

Donnalee
08-28-2000, 11:33 AM
Nanadee, Is your recipe the same as the one from Peggy? If not, please post. Thanks a bunch (of bananas, ha, ha).

JillC
08-29-2000, 12:47 AM
Also...The Sept 99 issue had a banana cupcake with cream cheese frosting on the cover. This article also gave directions for making the cupcakes as a cake. I seem to remember this being a fairly easy-to-make recipe.
Jill

Grace
08-29-2000, 12:58 AM
I would like to add that I too made the Banana Cake with the Cream Cheese Frosting and it was outstanding. I took it to work for a co-worker's birthday, who specifically requested a banana cake, and he said it was the best one he'd ever eaten. It's actually giving me an idea to make that one again!

Grace

nanadee
08-29-2000, 09:31 PM
Mine is a little different. My family loves this

Banana Layer Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting

2 1/4 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon plus pinch of salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon plus one tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks) room temp
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs

2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 large bananas peeled & sliced

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter three 8 inch cake pans. Dust with flour. Combine cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Mix mashed bananas, buttermilk and 1 teaspoon vanilla in another medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar in large bowl until blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Add dry ingredients alternately with banana mixture in 3 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients and beating just until blended after each addition Divide batter equally among pans.

Bake for 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on cake racks for 10 minutes. Turn onto racks and cool completely.

Beat cream cheese and remaining 1 cup butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in remaining 1 tablespoon vanilla and pinch of salt. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Cover and refrigerate frosting until firm enough to spread. (about 15 minutes)

Place cake layer on platter, spread 1/2 cup frosting on top. Place half of sliced bananas evenly over frosting. Place second layer on work surface. Spread 1/4 cup frosting on top. Place cake layer, frosting sidedown, atop bananas. Spread 1/2 cup frosting over top. Place remaining half of sliced bananas evenly over frosting. Spread 1/4 cup frosting over top. Place cake layer frosting side down, atop bananas. Spread remaining frosting over sides and top of cake. Let stand for 1 hour before serving.

Donnalee
08-31-2000, 06:54 PM
Peggy,

I made the banana cake recipe you posted. It was delicious. I made it in a 9X13 inch pan and baked it for 30 min. It turned out great! It tasted wonderful. My coworkers really enjoyed it. It is doubly fantastic with the cream cheese frosting. I did leave out the lemon zest though. Nanadee, thanks also for your recipe. It sounds good also, but didn't seem to be as light calorie wise with all the butter, but I will be making that one next time. Thanks.

Peggy
08-31-2000, 10:31 PM
Donnalee,

So glad that the recipe worked out for you. I have been staring at two VERY ripe bananas in my fruit basket...Maybe I will use them to make this cake this weekend!!! Thanks for the review!

Peggy