PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for morning tail-gating

Beth H
09-26-2001, 10:12 AM
My husband and I are hosting some friends this weekend who are in town for the big South Carolina-Alabama game. Normally, tailgating means fried chicken, dirty rice, and other incredibly unhealthy fixings from Bojangles, plus some beer.

Since the game starts at 12:30 (and with new security measures, we'll have to be at the stadium by noon), this grease-fest doesn't sound too appealing. Any ideas for good morning tailgating fare? It wouldn't necessarily have to be breakfast food, but I guess it could be.

SueK
09-26-2001, 10:26 AM
Beth- when we've done morning tailgates, we set up a big griddle and my BIL made omelets to order, plus we made a bunch of bacon, too. Some people brought donuts and coffecake, and fruit salad. Oh, we also had mimosas and Bloody Marys, too. :)

gobluem82
09-26-2001, 08:20 PM
We've done made-to-order omelets also, and they are always a big hit! I cut up all of the fixings ahead of time to save time and mess. You obviously need a Coleman stove, though. We didn't do bacon, though--too much mess for my taste. We did bagels, Bloody Marys and Mimosas, and I also made an apple-cranberry crisp. Everyone agreed it was one of our best tailgates!

I have a request also--we are going to the Michigan/Penn State game next weekend, which is at 3:30. Does anyone have any suggestions for creative tailgate food which will survive a 5-hour drive and wouldn't take forever to heat up or cook once we got there?

Kelli Kerrigan
09-26-2001, 08:33 PM
How about using the Fried Chicken salad recipe in this months issue, but turning it into a wrap? I can eat dirty rice anytime, so you could probably keep that. (it probably serves as a good 'base' anyway) A fruit salad would be nice. Or Monte cristo sandwiches if you have something to cook on....a combo of breakfast and lunch!

Melman
09-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Many years ago, I used to go to all the home Clemson games. Around that time, all the games were at 1:00 because there weren't any lights in the stadium. The tailgating was almost always typical foods...fried chicken, chips/dips, all that stuff you mentioned.

You're right about the stadium security though. I was at Clemson this past Saturday. You wouldn't believe the security. We watched people get turned away over and over to take things back to their cars or to throw away...seat cushions, disposable cameras, small coolers, bottles of water. Don't bother taking a backpack or small duffle bag or anything much bigger than a fannypack. Very likely, you'd be making a trip back to the car.

As far as food suggestions, how about ham and cheese biscuits (you know..those little ones on the Pepperidge Farm party rolls with the mustard/poppy seed spread on it). Or something along the lines of biscotti? (They could take the place of the CRUNCH of some of the chips and dip. ;-)) How about something like a breakfast casserole?? Oh...and sausage balls! They work at ANY time of the day!

SueK
09-27-2001, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by gobluem82
I have a request also--we are going to the Michigan/Penn State game next weekend, which is at 3:30.

I don't have any suggestions, just thought I'd let you know you'll be right in my neighborhood when you come to town for the game! Have fun tailgating!

michelern
09-27-2001, 11:44 AM
I like the sausage balls idea. I also have had to prepare for many morning tailgates when all of the Clemson games used to be at 1:00pm. I know this isn't the healthiest in the world, but my parents used to call ahead to Hardees the day before and get a bunch of biscuits. Assorted kinds of course. Then, when people would show up to tailgate, they would just grab a biscuit out of the box. (Yes a box. My parents would really get a lot of them.) The wrappers identified the different kinds so everyone would grab whatever they wanted. Don't forget coffee and hot chocolate. It will be chilly!!!

GayeC
09-27-2001, 12:16 PM
All I can say is -- I am very jealous that you have tickets to this game!

Gaye

Molli526
09-27-2001, 12:23 PM
We do AM tailgating sometimes- Go Michigan State!- and we will bring pancake batter and do pancakes and sausage. We also do things like a layered bean dip, chilli (this gets heated on a coleman), cookies etc.

Beth H
09-27-2001, 12:44 PM
Gaye -- we were really lucky to get them. A friend at work had a pair of tickets, and then through her father-in-law, got a second pair of tickets. So, she just gave us her first pair! Which is super nice, because the friends of ours that are coming in from out of town paid $150 for a pair. I wouldn't have been willing to do that, even though my husband and I are both Carolina alumns, but that's what a lot of the tickets are going for. If we beat Alabama, it's going to be almost impossible to get any tickets the rest of the season -- even to that Wofford reschedule.

GO COCKS!

Now back to regularly scheduled programming. . . . .

Shirley Ekstein
09-27-2001, 02:46 PM
Yet another example of being divided by a common language. Over here, tail-gaiting means someone driving so close to you they're almost in your boot (trunk). Nothing to do with food at all!

Beth H
09-27-2001, 02:56 PM
Well, Shirley, tail-gating can have that meaning here in the US as well.

But the alternate meaning is having a party out of your car near a college (or I guess, pro as well) football stadium. Often tailgating food (at least in the south) is fried chicken, beer, and a lot of snacks like chips and salsa, etc. But many people bring picnics and homemade food with them too.

Here at the University of South Carolina, people take tail-gating very seriously -- they even bring out their china and crystal. People who drive RV's arrive several days before the game and have huge parties.

It's really fun -- I guess maybe a uniquely American tradition.

Beth
09-27-2001, 05:38 PM
Do you have a pizza stone? I put mine in the bottom of the oven while I baked the Breakfast Tortilla Strata (made with black beans and picante sauce -- I can post it for you). Put a beach towel out on the counter, folded in half. Put the hot pizza stone in the middle of the towel, then put the covered strata on top of that and fold the towel around it. It stayed hot for a couple of hours when we took it to a park that way. The same idea would work for other things too.

PSUKate
10-02-2001, 02:59 AM
I don't have any ideas either for food for the 3:30 game. I just wanted to say GO Penn State!!!!

GayeC
10-02-2001, 09:01 AM
Beth -- What did you end up serving? And how did you survive the game? My nerves were totally shot just watching it on TV!

Go Cocks!

Gaye

Beth H
10-02-2001, 10:09 AM
Well, "breakfast" was bloody marys. :) And, due to popular demand, "lunch" was the traditional Bojangles cajun fried, with tubs of dirty rice, fries, and slaw. I don't want to mention how many pieces of chicken I had -- I have to say, Bojangles makes great fried chicken. I guess it's OK to occassionaly stray from "light" food, huh?

I really thought we were going to lose in the fourth quarter -- but we rallied back! We were in the student section which was rowdy to say the least. It was a great game!

Again -- GO COCKS!