PDA

View Full Version : SusanMac: literacy info

Jodi
09-28-2001, 07:30 PM
Hi Susan,

I can relate -- I was feeling INCREDIBLY overwhelmed when I first started. The training the literacy council provides just didn't seem like it was enough. I tutor "regular" adults as well as ESL students. (I hate to use the term "regular," but I can't think of a more appropriate word.) I'll admit that the ESL students are more challenging, depending on their level of English speaking. But the rewards are so great -- I cannot even begin to put them into words. Have you checked out any web resources? One of my favorite's is Dave's ESL Cafe -- not sure of the address, but if you searched under Yahoo or Google or some other search engine, I'm sure you'd find it.

I prepared a whole bunch of activities for my first "lesson," figuring I'd rather be too prepared than not prepared enough. Plus I wasn't sure exactly where the student would be, so I didn't want to have something that was way too simple or way too complex.

I've found that basic, everyday tasks are helpful to ESL students. For example, our vocabulary focuses on a specific area each week: grocery-store items, bank terms, etc.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask here or email me. You'll do great, and you'll feel so great about what you're doing, that your 6 months will be over before you know it and you'll be eager for more. Good luck!
Jodi