PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Costume ideas for 4th & 6th graders?

ewatkins
10-04-2001, 12:19 PM
My kids are getting past the stage of being just a witch or a pirate, and they are also too big for some of the store bought costumes (age 9 and 12). What is everyone else's kids doing for Halloween? My daughter likes Shrek (actually the donkey) , but I haven't seen anything like that. Any good catalogs or on line sources? I really don't sew, but can do a few seams if I have to.

lindrusso
10-04-2001, 02:23 PM
I don't have any specific costume recommendations, but I wanted to suggest checking out the magazines in stores now. Parents magazine, for instance, usually has some great ideas for making costumes (often without sewing) for all ages. I like to pick up the Halloween magazines each year for ideas. I can't sew, but I'm tired of doing store-bought. This year I'm going to try to collect some magazines for ideas for next year. Martha Stewart had some really cute looking ideas for how to turn your wagon into a space ship and the kids into astronauts/aliens!

Adriana
10-04-2001, 02:34 PM
I have this idea to make a costume of Wilson from the movie about FedEx, sorry can't remember the name.

Slit open a volleyball from top to bottom and cut a neck hole so that it can be slipped over the head. Cut eye holes. Make a hole on top of the head. Put a pot of sprouted "Cat grass", available from the pet store. on top of the head. Viola! Meet Wilson.

Nirak
10-04-2001, 08:21 PM
My 4th grader (4'9", 115 lbs) wants to be Shirley Temple! I'm willing to go for it, but I am very worried about the peer reaction when she walks into the class room. Not to mention the number of adults who just DON'T GET IT and might say something when she tricks or treats. I hope she changes her mind on her own because I hate to discourrage her. She usually has great ideas on her own. Guess we better focus on this. Let me know what you decide.

ewatkins
10-05-2001, 07:54 AM
My 4th grader (103 lbs. 4'11") is thinking about being the girl from the Princess Diaries, in her "ugly duckling stage". I thought it was great and mentioned we could borrow a Catholic school uniform from a neighbor. She turned up her nose at the idea of wearing "someone else's clothes". I tried to tell her that girls/women borrow each other's clothes all the time, but she would not hear of it. Now I am off to the thrift store to look for a kilt! Son is leaning toward being a Ninja again. I think Shirley Temple would be fine -- those movies are advertised on tv a lot so I bet some kinds would get it.

Nirak
10-05-2001, 08:03 AM
I love the princess diaries idea. I bet it would be easy to find a "gilda randor" wig. I think I will float that one and see if there is any response. Of course, we have little sister (1st grade) to consider, too. They are getting very competitive with these halloween ideas.

Jewel
10-05-2001, 08:34 AM
Check out the October issues of Woman's Day and Family Circle Magazines. They usually have a lot of Halloween crafts, recipes and costume ideas! :)

Nirak
10-05-2001, 12:00 PM
Here are some ideas my kids have done in the past:

"New Mommy" PJ's, bathrobe, hair in curlers, black circles under eyes, fluffy slippers, baby doll & diaper bag (that one won a prize)

Angelena Balerina (before American Girl took off with it) Tutu & wite tail, white face paint & mouse ears

Good Witch: 8 year old took a character from a book and was decked out in funky purple. We spray painted a witch's hat purple and stuck big flowers around it. Her friends loved it.

Indian Princess

Mermaid

DmOrtega
10-05-2001, 12:25 PM
My eight year old son is going to dress like a mad scientist. We have a lab coat and we will be looking for fake glasses and a bald head wig. My 10 year daughter has an Oreo cookie costume that adults can where. She has worn it for the last 2 years and still wants to wear it this year.

boisewinesnob
10-06-2001, 05:26 PM
I was hoping I could convince 2 of my sons to be Dr Evil and Mini-me! Wouldn't that just be funny, or do you think it's too long ago (what...2 or 3 years, now?). I don't have any girls, but we have also done the Ninja thing. Also, my grandmother gave me some lederhosen (sp?) from Germany that I've put my youngest son in for the past couple years. I found one of those pointy hats with a feather sticking out (yodeler style) and he told everyone he was Hansel!

NancyR
10-07-2001, 07:17 AM
One of the cutest I have ever seen would also be super easy and cheap......a stop light. child wore tights then had a box over his/her head and torso with 3 big holes cut out. Holes covered in red/amber/green plastic/cellophane and then he was carrying a flashlight. Might not be too comfortable for any length of time, however.