PDA

View Full Version : ISO Help in lightening this chicken casserole

Kalna
10-08-2001, 04:15 PM
For many years I have been making this wonderful easy casserole called CAPE COD CHICKEN. I got the recipe from a quilting newsletter. It is one of these dishes that is easy to put together and tastes great! Good enough for company.

The problem is the recipe says not to use skinned or boned checken parts, as they don't provide enough moisture to cook the rice. Any ideas out there on how to lighten up this recipe. I don't have Mastercook ( it is on my Christmas list) and maybe someone can play around with the ingredients to change the calorie or fat content. I am typing the original recipe - and it is yummy - great for cold fall evenings and snowy winter months.

3/4 cup long grain rice
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon marjoram leavves
1 teaspoon onion or garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 frying chicken, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs cut up
1 can ( 16 oz) whole cranberry sauce
3 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds

1 Mix rice, bouillon and seasonings. Sp[rinkle mixture evenly over bottom of buttered 9 X 13" baking dish.

2 Arrange chicken pieces, skin side up, on top of rice with larger pieces on outer edges.

3 In a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce, butter, lemon juice and soy sauce. Bring almost to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour cranberry mixture over chicken. Cover tightly with foil.

4 Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 10 minutes longer.

Tips: Don't use skinned or boned chicken parts. Thy don't provide enough moisture to cook the rice.

This makes 4 serving. Double ingredients for 8 servings.

Deanna
10-08-2001, 04:28 PM
As I see it, the only things that have any fat/calorie count are the 3 Tbl. butter and the chicken.

You probably need the butter; but I would still say you could probably use boneless skinless chicken breasts and just add chicken broth (fat free, of course!) a bit if all you need is moisture to cook the rice.

luv2cook
10-08-2001, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I agree. Add a little chicken broth but realize you're playing w/fire when you do so...;)

laughsandlaughs
10-08-2001, 05:51 PM
Chicken Thighs also have more moisture than breasts, so you could try those. The addition of chicken broth will add more moisture too. I would probably add a little bit at a time, say like 1/4 to 1/2 cup to the cranberry mixture and then check on the dish while it's cooking to see if you need to add more if the rice is too dry. I also don't see why you need the butter at all , except for additional flavor and a bit of moisture, so cut the amount dramatically or eliminate it all together or substitute some heart-healthy olive oil for a portion of it instead or just add a bit more broth to make up for it's moisture.

I would change the almonds to 1 oz per serving (1/4 cup total) which is a reasonable amount, and though they are higher in fat, it's the desirable kind, proven to be heart healthy. (More than 65% of the fat in almonds is monounsaturated, which can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Almonds also contain the phytochemicals quercetin and kaempferol, both of which may be protective against cancer.)

This doesn't seem like a difficult recipe to lighten. Let us know what you try and how it works!

sneezles
10-08-2001, 08:03 PM
I copied your recipe into MC and here are the results:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cape Cod Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried sage -- crushed
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon onion powder -- (may use garlic powder in place of onion)
1 teaspoon salt
1 chicken -- 2 1/2-3 pounds, cut up
1 can cranberry sauce -- whole (16oz)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup blanched almonds -- sliced

Mix rice, bouillon, and seasonings. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of bettered 9" X 13" baking dish.

Arrange chicken pieces, skin side up, on top of rice with larger pieces on outer edges.

In a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce, butter, lemon juice and soy sauce. Bring almost to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour cranberry mixture over chicken. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 10 minutes longer.

Description:
"casserole"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1227 Calories; 77g Fat (56.8% calories from fat); 72g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 363mg Cholesterol; 1512mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 9 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Now MC can be a little touchy about how ingredients are entered but when I did the nutritional analysis there were no "unknown items" (things the software doesn't recognize as entered) so I'm assuming the numbers are correct...pretty scary!!!

I have a pork chop recipe that is done in a casserole with the same amount of rice and it uses 1 (10.5 ounce) can of broth, like the red & white label of campbell's. It doesn't cook as long but the chops are browned first.

My suggestion would be to ditch the butter all together! Use boneless breast and thighs (one each per person) and reduce the amount of almonds to 2 tbs.

Here's what happens to the numbers when you do that:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Revised-Cape Cod Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon dried sage -- crushed
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon onion powder -- (may use garlic powder in place of onion)
1 teaspoon salt
4 chicken breast halves without skin
4 chicken thighs without skin
1 can cranberry sauce -- whole (16oz)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons blanched almonds -- sliced

Mix rice, bouillon, and seasonings. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of bettered 9" X 13" baking dish.

Arrange chicken pieces, skin side up, on top of rice with larger pieces on outer edges.

In a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce, butter, lemon juice and soy sauce. Bring almost to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour cranberry mixture over chicken. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 10 minutes longer.

Description:
"casserole"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 491 Calories; 7g Fat (13.8% calories from fat); 46g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 126mg Cholesterol; 1537mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Linda in MO
10-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Kalna, this looks really good! Please post your results if you try to lighten it. I would love to try this.

Ralph
10-09-2001, 09:19 AM
Sneezles modifications look great, but you can always submit the original recipe to CL for their "Lighten Up" section!

Kalna
10-09-2001, 04:08 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions about the Cape Cod Chicken recipe.

Sneezles - thanks so much for taking the time to enter the ingredients into mastercook, and coming up with the nutritional
information. This weekend I am going to try your suggestions except I will use skinned chicken with bone in. I think the boneless would be done far before the rice was done.

Ralph - about 2 years ago I sent the recipeto CL for a make over. Never hard from them, but now I don't need them.

To everyone - I will post my results at the start of next week.

Thank you

Carolyn