PDA

View Full Version : HELP?!My gray gas burners look disgusting!

Kristilyn1
10-10-2001, 06:07 AM
I've mentioned before how I love my gas stove--but four months later and the gray burners...burner covers? (the "grate" the pans rest on) are covered with brown marks. I couldn't say for sure it's spillage, you can't scrape it with your nail. My mom--who is OBSESSIVE about cleaning her stove immediately--has the same problem. Am I stuck with this? I've tried the usual cleaners and the glass top cleaner (the one they make for smooth top ranges) and nothing works. I tried to get black covers, but it seemed the only stoves that had it were ones I didn't like.

My stove is an Amana, my mom has a GE. Can I order black replacement ones? Should I paint them? My new stove looks like hell---help?!

Kristi

Leonard
10-10-2001, 06:23 AM
So, I'm NOT the only one!!!! Me too!!! I got a new Whirpool "AccuBake" Several years ago. I too have tried everything to clean these gray burner covers. You're right, nothing seems to work. My friend has a GE Profile and has the same problem. She is really a clean freak. She claims she phoned GE and was told for stubborn stains To put the covers in a trash bag and let them sit overnight in amonia! We haven't tried that yet. I'm interested to see if anyone else had heard of this method??

funnybone
10-10-2001, 07:55 AM
I have Jenn- Air Black grates and I put them in the dishwasher. It works. Mine are a black enamel type finish, and the dishwasher gets all that greasy buildup off. Even though I clean them all the time, they still get a build up. Check with your manual first to make sure you can put them in the dishwasher.

Leanne
10-10-2001, 11:07 AM
I clean mine with steel wool or the plastic equivalent. I also found that they came really clean in my dishwasher.

Marian
10-10-2001, 11:34 AM
Cleaning the burners is my husbands job and he is great at it.
He sprinkles baking soda on them and then uses a wet sponge to clean them.
He is gone this week and they are getting brown again - but I think I'll wait for him to do the job. He usually does it daily or every other day.

krhm
10-10-2001, 11:35 AM
I also clean mine once a week in the dishwasher. I put the burner grates, the microwave plate, the coffee pot, and the dish drainer in and run it. It seems to work pretty well, but I still have terrible stains that have built up. I have put grill grates and oven grates into a trash bag with oven cleaner and let it sit overnight. It worked really well, but what a mess!

I've also found that dousing something with Soft Scrub with bleach and letting it sit for a while helps (like the ceramic part of the stove top), and then scrubbing it. I haven't had any problems with it scratching the finish.

Hope this helps!

Mindy
10-10-2001, 02:40 PM
I have the same Whirpool Acubake oven and it looks so gross!!! Even if I don't spill anything on the covers they gray turns brown :( I tried that Oxy Clean stuff, it didn't do a thing (I returned it to the store.) Someone must have a miracle cleaner. The dishwasher doesn't do a thing to take off the stains!!!

Kristilyn1
10-10-2001, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I will try the dishwasher. Since it too is BRAND, SPANKING new and a Kitchen Aid, there is no excuse if it doesn't work.

That is sooo funny about the hubby's. Mine is the one that cleans ours so when I say "I've tried", I guess I should really say--"he's tried". As I just went downstairs he was powerscrubbing them with a scrubber--but they are still brown!

I'll try the ammonia next if the dishwasher doesn't work. I'll report in on my <grin> his results.

Kristi

KelLeg
10-10-2001, 08:59 PM
I have gray ones too and they aren't too bad. I have cleaning people once a week and they do them. The product they use is called Bar Keeper's Friend. You might try it.

Another note, though, a friend of mine had gray burners, but also bought a set of black b/c she couldn't keep the gray ones clean. She only brought the gray ones out for company!

Beth
10-10-2001, 10:40 PM
When we were looking at homes about 5 yrs ago, I noticed the only white cooktops with grey grates that looked good were in homes that had never been lived in. Some were better, and some were worse, but I didn't like any of them. Many of them seemed to have discolored on the cooktop itself also. That was one reason we had our builder replace the Whirlpool cooktop with a Dacor when we settled on a home. It had solid black grates, and that's what I'm looking at when I replace the current cooktop. I realize that's less help that the cleaning suggestions, but it isn't just you. Contact the manufaturer to see if they have a cleaning recommendation -- or maybe they will send you a new set of grates under your warranty. You could keep the new ones for show if you're afraid the won't stay clean too. Hope you find something that works.

SusanT
10-11-2001, 08:43 PM
We just bought a new range last night and in the package of materials that come with it is a little packet of something called "Gas Grate Cleaner" They do sell it at Sears in the Appliance Department. I'm not sure how well it works but thought I'd pass this along anyway.

vbak
10-13-2001, 02:31 PM
I use the Sears gas grate cleaners on my grates. Just let the grates soak. I also use SOS with it too. The trick is to keep up with the spills. The cleaner won't remove the goop completely, but it will make the clean up easier. My stove, a Sears Elite, is a year and a half old, and it looks great, and I DO cook everyday. The black grates were a breeze to clean because who could see another burned on spill! The black grates on the new stoves looked like saddle shoes to me. Anyways, DH will scrub them when I get sick and tired of this job. Just keep up with the goop and don't let the pot boil over!!:D Vicky

Shirley Ekstein
10-13-2001, 04:58 PM
Think you're all jolly lucky to have the problem. More than 20 years ago we moved to a village with no gas supply and I've had to use a horrible electric stove ever since.
Still hate it.

maccmedia
10-13-2001, 06:30 PM
If you don't want to bother putting them in the dishwasher you can soak them in the sink with dishwasher soap. This cleans stove grates well and does a great job on my outdoor gas grill grates too.

CindyWeightWatcher
10-15-2001, 08:29 PM
I use the Oven Off grill/grate cleaner
on my black burners. Works great.