PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and Vitamin Pills?

ewatkins
10-10-2001, 09:51 AM
Somewhere I got the idea that you shouldn't take a calcium supplement at the same time as a multi-vitamin. So -- I stopped taking my calcium at breakfast. But now I can't remember to take it at supper -- can I take them all together in the am? Does it have to be with food? I remember right at bed sometimes.

Heidi
10-10-2001, 12:54 PM
I take my calcium supplement and my multi-vitamin together every morning. This is the first time I've heard that they shouldn't be taken at the same time. I'm interested in what you all have to say about this, I don't want to be doing something wrong!

aggie94
10-10-2001, 04:07 PM
I'd also like to hear any feedback on this. I generally take my multi-vitamin in the morning and my calcium supplement after lunch, but sometimes I end up taking them together, like this morning. I'm curious to know if timing makes a difference.

mightyh
10-10-2001, 05:09 PM
I could be wrong, but...

I used to take calcium and an iron supplement which had vitamin C in it. I had to spcae them two hours apart cause the calcium interfered with the iron absorption (or was it vice versa?). Anyway, it's been a few years and it wasn't a multi vitamin, but my doctor did tell me something to that effect.

If we're lucky, Ralph will weigh in on this subject :)

ewatkins
10-10-2001, 06:09 PM
Yes, that sounds familiar -- something about the iron in the multivitamin and the calcium not being a good mix. But I still need someone to confirn this.

Sara Emily
10-10-2001, 06:13 PM
My understanding is that what SOURCE your calcium supplement comes from is an important consideration. Calcium from CITRATE (like Citracal) should be taken on an empty stomach. It is also the easiest to absorb and most usable by the body. However, calcium from CARBONATE sources (Caltrate, for example) is the next most readily absorbed, and should always be taken around a meal. Vit. C enhances its abilities, but I'm not sure about its interaction with iron. I hope this helps somewhat.

Ralph
10-10-2001, 07:55 PM
My references suggest taking iron 2 hours before or 4 hours after the calcium as the combination of the two may decrease the iron's efficacy by decreasing its absorption.

You're welcome!