PDA

View Full Version : Whoops! Orange, not lemon!!

Melman
10-22-2001, 05:40 PM
I placed a huge order with Penzey's recently. Four or five friends went together so we could split the shipping and handling fees. I accidentally ordered orange extract instead of lemon extract.

What do I do with this wonderful bottle? I'm sure there must be some great recipes that call for orange extract, but I've been striking out finding anything that appeals to me. I found a recipe for orange cranberry bread that calls for it, but that's about it so far.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or awesome recipes to share??

MKSquared
10-22-2001, 06:45 PM
When I made my Christmas cookies last year, I added extract to all of the icings. I used peppermint extract for the red icing (used that for candy canes) and I used orange extract for the gold icing (used on angels and bells). They were delicious!

Little Bit
10-22-2001, 08:24 PM
I'd say to use it in place of vanilla when you bake, and even in fruit salads or drinks (hot spice tea, milkshakes, etc.).

I've really enjoyed the pound cakes I've made substituting almond or lemon extract for (or in addition to) the vanilla. Orange should be fine too, don't you think?

bijoux22
10-22-2001, 08:49 PM
Hmmm, now I am not sure if I have the extract or the oil, but whichever I have I've used it as a substitute for orange zest when I am out of the real thing. The CL Fish Soup Provencale is a family favorite and I have used the substitution for it. Come to think of it I must have the oil.

mame
10-22-2001, 10:01 PM
pancake batter! I like to add different extracts to ff pancake mix to jazz it up. I also like orange extract (or vanilla) in oatmeal or other hot cereal--especially good with dried cranberries added too- when I am getting tempted to add sweetener. I second the idea of icing--a few years ago I made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and added orange extract to the frosting it was fabulous--the cake literally disappeared.

Melman
10-23-2001, 06:49 AM
These are great ideas!! I loved the idea of slightly orange-flavored frosting on carrot cake. Sounds like I just need to be creative and test it here and there. Thanks for the ideas!!!

claire797
10-23-2001, 07:06 AM
Add a little to some chocolate chips cookies. My step-mother did this last year and the cookies were awesome. I don't know how much she added. Or make chocolate chip cookies with white chips and use about 1 teaspoon of orange extract in place of the vanilla.

Curleytop
10-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Here is a recipe for a delicate cookie. DON'T ATTEMPT IT IN HUMID WEATHER! I usually make it when we have a "Santa Ana".

* Exported from MasterCook *

SUNFLOWER CRISPS

Recipe By :L.A. Times (Low-fat Baking)
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Cookies Desserts
Low Fat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Egg Whites
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Dash Orange Extract
1 Tablespoon Butter -- Melted
1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds (or more)

Combine granulated sugar, flour and UNBEATEN egg whites.
Stir to blend. Add vanilla, orange extract and margarine. Fold in sunflower seeds. Drop by tablespoonsful on HEAVILY PAMMED baking sheets, ONLY 6 PER LARGE BAKING SHEET (they spread) Respray EACH TIME! Bake at 350 (325 convection) degrees 8 - 10 minutes or until browned. Remove to wire rack to cool, AT ONCE. If they stick, place in oven again for a few minutes. Messy, but good! Store in airtight container so they stay crisp.
Makes 1 dozen cookies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 55 Calories; 1g Fat (16.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 24mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Nice with a fruit dessert or icecream!

NOTES : Revised this recipe to use sunflower, not pinenuts.