PDA

View Full Version : GREAT TIP: Peeling Tomatoes using, of all things, your microwave!

heatherfeather
10-23-2001, 11:57 AM
I was in the midst of preparing the Chicken Thighs with Polenta, Tomatoes and Proscuitto from a recent CL issue(June?) and when I got to the part that said "1 tomato,seeded, peeled and chopped," my efforts came to a grinding halt. I had no burner space to set a pan of water on to boil for the usual method of blanching tomaotes in order to peel them. I also did not want to hand peel a cold tomato with a knife. I thought - why not try popping it into the microwave for a few seconds and see if that loosens the skin enough. Well - it worked great! I simply poked my tomato with a fork first, so that it would not explode, then cooked it on HIGH for 15 second intervals until the skin loosened (it took 30 seconds total for this particular tomato). All I had to do was rub gently on the skin and it started to peel off like onion skin. Alos, the tomato was still mostly cold, so there was no waiting time before I could seed and chop my tomato for the recipe already in prgress. I set the tomato in a glass bowl, uncovered, while cooking so it would catch any leaking juices.

tracey67
10-23-2001, 12:27 PM
heather - between this and the rice cooking tip, you're fast becoming the queen of microwave tips! Thanks for sharing -- this is a great idea - I always dread when I see a recipe that says "tomato, peeled" -- but not anymore.

tracey

lindrusso
10-23-2001, 12:30 PM
Great Tip! Thanks for sharing. I used to deal with this by NOT peeling, but there are some recipes - like when your sauteeing fresh tomatoes - where the skins loosen while cooking and get separated. I don't like biting into those pieces of skin, but I'm always ambivalent about taking the time to peel. Can't wait to try your method!

RobinC
10-23-2001, 12:33 PM
What a great idea! I never would have thought of it. Thanks for posting this great tip.

LesleyD
10-23-2001, 12:35 PM
Heather,

Thanks so much for this tip. It will certainly come in handy in the future of my cooking escapades!

;)

Lynn B
10-23-2001, 04:24 PM
Heather,

I think you should DEFINITELY change your title to "Queen of Microwave Tips"!!! ;)

Lynn

Lynn B
10-23-2001, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by tracey67
heather - between this and the rice cooking tip, you're fast becoming the queen of microwave tips!

tracey

BTW, I'm having a brain cramp! What was the rice-cooking tip?!!!
THANKS!

Lynn

tracey67
10-23-2001, 04:46 PM
Lynn - it's in this thread:
http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15683&highlight=microwave+rice

tracey

Laura B
10-23-2001, 05:16 PM
Heather, you should send that tip in to Cook's Illustrated! If they print it, you will get a free subsciption to the magazine. I bet you would have a great chance of getting that printed, as some of the tips that they print don't strike me as earth shattering. This one is really good, though!

Lynn B
10-23-2001, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by tracey67
Lynn - it's in this thread:
http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15683&highlight=microwave+rice

tracey

Tracey,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was just what I was looking for!

Lynn

PS That Heather is a genius!!!!! :)

newsomz
10-23-2001, 08:55 PM
does anyone have a tip about how to cook chocolate chip cookies in the microwave. I have a bunch of little cookies frozen and I was wondering if I could cook one or two in the microwave.. I know it probably wouldn't brown right but, if anyone has any ideas to get a cookie to cook in the microwave.. I'd be happy to try them out.

Thanks,
Carrie

mb
10-23-2001, 09:24 PM
sorry carrie, i'm of no help on your cookie conundrum...

but heatherfeather - what great tips! i was unaware of the rice hint, but i'm definitely going to try it out... i'm tired of getting sticky rice all the time! plus, i think my microwave feels a little left out, since i hardly use him, so he'll be happy too;)

heatherfeather
10-23-2001, 10:39 PM
Gosh- I'm blushing as red as my tomato after all that praise. Thanks for your kind words!

chefbec
10-23-2001, 11:28 PM
Thanks for that great tip. I wonder if we could also do the same when we need peeled peaches? Has anyone ever tried that?

pammy
10-24-2001, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure about peaches since they have a pit. Like Lindrusso, I deal with the peeling conundrum by just not doing it. Heather, this is a great tip!