PDA

View Full Version : Review: Cauliflower and Potato Sabzi with Spices, Nov. '01

KathrynY
11-17-2001, 08:02 AM
Well, I wish I could say this was wonderful, but it didn't turn out so well for me.

I cut the recipe in half, since there are only two of us and I had 1/2 head of cauliflower left over from another meal. I followed the directions to a T, but it seemed like 1/6 cup of water and 1/6 cup of tomato puree just wasn't enough liquid to simmer all that cauliflower and potato for 20 minutes. After 5 minutes, everything stuck to the bottom of the pan and I had to add more water to scrape it back up. Had to repeat every 5 minutes, adding more water or tomato puree to keep the veggies from sticking. Which, of course, diluted the spices and ended up making the dish kind of bland.

My initial thought was that maybe the heat was up too high, but I used the same setting I always use for simmering soups and such. Maybe it's just that my electric burner didn't cool down fast enough after the saute stage of the recipe. :confused:

Anyway, I have other light Indian recipes with cauliflower that have turned out much better than this, so I won't be making this again.

JennieL
11-18-2001, 10:08 AM
Sorry you had such a bad experience with this recipie. I also halved it. I watched it closely and did add extra water. My potatoes were a bit more "done" than the cauliflower, but the flavor was good.

meslgh
04-06-2003, 10:41 PM
We tried this because we were looking for an Indian cauliflower dish. I have to agree with Kathryn that this is not great; we had to add more water and the potatoes were underdone.

Kathryn, could I trouble you for some of your other light Indian recipes with cauliflower? That would be great.

valchemist
04-07-2003, 06:58 AM
we had this one last night and I reviewed it on another thread. it is excellent.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Split Pea Spinach Dal with Cauliflower

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish Vegetarian Main Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 1/2 cups water -- divided
1 cup dried yellow split peas
1 bay leaf
2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
1 and 1/2 tsps salt
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tsps minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsps ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
4 cups torn spinach

1. Combine 2 and 1/2 cups water, peas, and bay leaf in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 50 minutes or until tender. Add 1 cup water, cauliflower, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
2. Heat butter and oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add cumin and next 5 ingredients (cumin through cloves); cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onion mixture to pea mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until thick. Stir in spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts.

Source:
"Cooking Light, April 2003"

NOTES : I followed the recipe pretty closely except I used less cayenne and I used yellow mustard seeds since I didn't have brown. I used a 7 oz bag of baby spinach. Oh, and I only simmered the peas for about a half hour before adding the cauliflower. Delicious! (note: I needed to use more water than called for even though I wanted this to be stew-like. I didn't want it to be soupy, but I still needed more water than called for in the recipe.)

Throughout India, a meal is not complete without some variation of this spice-tempered legume dish. Cumin and turmeric provide slightly bitter notes, but the dish has an overall salty-savory flavor. The dal is more of a stew than a soup; for a thinner version, decrease the final simmering time.
Calories: 183 (18% from fat); FAT 3.7 (sat 1.4g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 11.4g; CARB 28.8g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOL 5mg; IRON 3.4mg; SODIUM 649mg; CALC 75mg

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

meslgh
04-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Val, thanks, that looks good. Unfortunately, I won't be able to convince DH to go for that, since he won't eat lentils or spinach (I need a shrug smilie here). I'm still interested in any other good Indian cauliflower dishes anybody has.