PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: Double Chocolate Pudding...

ajowen
11-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Can you make this recipie without Ramekins? :confused: It looks delicious, seems easy to make... but as a poor college student with minimal storage space ramekins aren't in my future. What would you use instead of ramekins?

Amanda

Ganache
11-27-2001, 09:42 AM
Looks like you have to bake it in a bain marie (smaller dish set inside a pan of water). Do you have some coffee cups that could be pressed into service--Classic Home Desserts had the sweetest picture of puddings baked in diner style coffee cups?

rosen
11-27-2001, 10:03 AM
Muffins cups could work in a pinch...but they would be very small & you would have to pass the entire pan around from person to person! LOL! Could you invest in a set of the small corning baking dishes? They are about 4 or 5 inches square & about 3 inches high & come w/ lids. They are great for small casseroles, leftovers, freezing, etc.....they also stack & so do not take up much room.

Joyce
11-27-2001, 10:06 AM
I make a C/L Almond Flan all the time that gets baked in an 8" cake pan, then set into water. (The reason I like it so much is because I don't have to be bothered carmelizing individual ramekens. I don't see why this wouldn't work with the pudding.

ajowen
11-28-2001, 09:32 AM
Okay, so I do have some of the white corningware dishes, although they only have plastic lids, not ones for in the oven. I guess I just didn't think of using them...
Another question... How do you do the whole water bath thing? Does the water have to cover the part of the dish that holds the thing you want cooked (i.e. bigger dish that is less full=lower water level?, smaller dish that is more full= higher water level?) If you put the recipie into a larger container do you do with this like you would with bread or cake and lower the temperature and increase the cooking time? Just increase the cooking time? (How would you control the temp of your water) Maybe this recipie is harder than I thought at first.

Thanks,
Amanda