PDA

View Full Version : alcohol use in recipes

kkapow
12-02-2001, 04:36 AM
is there a substitute for the wine or bourbon used in some of the recipes? i just got my december issue, and want to make the kentucky derby pie, but don't want to use alcohol of any kind.
can anyone suggest a substitute?:confused:

Zinnia
12-02-2001, 06:19 AM
Hi,
Here are some substitutes for what you are looking for..

For say, 2 Tablespoons Bourbon-substitute it with 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

For 1/4 cup or more of white wine-substitute equal measure of white grape juice, chicken or vegetable broth, clam juice, or non-alcholic wine.

For 1/4 cup or more of red wine-substitute equal measure of red grape juice, cranberry juice, apple cider, chicken or beef broth, vegetable broth, clam juice, flavored vinegar, or non-alcoholic wine.

*For the red and white wines above; IF you use nonalcoholic wine for a sustitute, add a Tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetness. Also, be sure and consider the recipes you are making and which of the substitutes would taste best with them.

I hope this is of help. I can't get to my long list of sustitutes right now and hopefully someone can post the whole thing later. Have a good day, :) Zinnia

Deanna
12-02-2001, 08:44 AM
Unless I'm completely wrong here, vanilla extract has a very high alcohol content. Am I screwey? (Too lazy to go downstairs and check the bottle.) I thought that is how vanilla extract is made.

Kjente2
12-02-2001, 09:26 AM
I go through this one ALL the time..there was a list of substitutions in the November issue and I've seen it online. I've tried the mix of orange juice with sherry--it worked pretty well. Deanna is right, vanilla extract is high in alcohol but usualy you use so little of that.

AD
12-02-2001, 12:02 PM
I never cook with alcohol either, but only because no one in my house drinks any. Vanilla extract is something I (and most people who cook) always have on hand, and it is made solely for recipes.
All the alcohol burns off after cooking anyway.