PDA

View Full Version : what can i substitute for tawny port?

jjf
12-04-2001, 05:02 PM
i am trying out a pork tenderloin recipe from bon appetite and it calls for tawny port - does anyone know what a good substitute would be and what kind of flavor it adds to a recipe? i can go buy it if it is essential. thanks.

jen

Molli526
12-04-2001, 05:08 PM
This doesn't answer your question but I have heard tawny port is very yummy.

RebeccaT
12-04-2001, 05:09 PM
Jen, is this the Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry-Port sauce? I'm making that this weekend for a dinner party, and I have never tried it before! However, when I got it off of epicurious.com, a couple of reviewers said that they had substituted red wine - Cabernet I think. I am sure that would affect the taste, since port is sweet, but those who did it said the results were good. I have not yet decided what I am going to do; I may just go get a small bottle since I am making it for a dinner party and I don't want to fool around with the recipe too much. But if you try a substitution, please let me know how it goes! :D

- Rebecca

Little Bit
12-04-2001, 05:24 PM
Here's a snippet from the foodsubs website:

( http://www.foodsubs.com/Aperitif.html )

port = port wine Notes: This is a sweet Portuguese fortified wine that's sipped as an after-dinner drink, or used as a cooking ingredient. Vintage ports are the best, but they are very expensive. The sediment at the bottom of the bottle is a sign of quality. Crusted or late-bottled vintage ports are both less expensive and less elegant. Cheaper yet are the lighter and fruitier wood ports, which include the tawny ports and the lowly ruby ports. Wood ports don't age well in the bottle, so try to drink them within a year or two of purchase. Once opened, port should be consumed within a week or so and stored in the refrigerator. Substitutes: Madeira OR dry vermouth OR black muscat wine (like port, this goes well with chocolate) OR Banyuls (like port, this goes well with chocolate) OR unsweetened fruit juice OR (in meat-based sauces) beef or chicken stock

Hope this helps!:) :) :)

Julia1Pin
12-04-2001, 05:38 PM
Madeira would be a great substitute. And Tawny Port (especially 10 year aged) is extremely yummy. Check out Praeger winery for some great Port.

boisewinesnob
12-04-2001, 06:00 PM
Jen,
my first question would be, why do you want to use a substitute? Tawny ports are my favorite ports! You could substitute a madeira, I guess, but if it calls for a cup or so, or it makes up a big percentage of the sauce I would try to go with the actual thing. Tawny ports have a wonderful brown sugar or caramel flavor to them that you would not get from a red wine. Also, if you just don't want to spend a lot, there are several good ones that are reasonable. I can think of Martinez and an Australian that is produced by Wyndham (also maybe one made by Lindeman's?). Also Dow's and Sandeman's are good tawnies. Anyways, I remember the Aussie tawnies were really a great value/quality even though they aren't technically from Portugal like a true port. So what!

Suzy

jjf
12-04-2001, 06:40 PM
I was planning to substitute only because I wanted to make a test recipe tonight and I don't have tawny port on hand. But after your responses, I think I'll just wait until tomorrow for my dry run after I buy the port.
Thanks for all of your responses - after boisewinesnob's post, I am really excited to try port!
RebeccaT - I am also making it for a dinner party on Sat. night - I'll let you know how my dry run goes tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

jen

jjf
12-04-2001, 06:49 PM
I meant to mention in response to boisewinesnob's question about how much port the recipe calls for - it is 1/4 cup - I know it is not a lot, but I think I'll stick with the recipe as it is for the first try.

boisewinesnob
12-04-2001, 10:25 PM
Jen,
good luck with your dinner! I'm sure with only 1/4 cup you could probably get away with subbing something, but that tawny will be such a treat! It also helps to have it a little cooler than room temp (cellar temp), that is, if you are going to drink the leftovers. Let us know how it turns out.

Suzy