PDA

View Full Version : Question for experienced cooks

lweiss
12-05-2001, 12:07 PM
I have two recipes for White Chip Macadamia Bars. They are identical except one calls for 2 1/4 cups of flour and one calls for 3 cups. How can this be?:confused:

I made the ones using 2 1/4. They are still in the oven so I don't know how they will turn out.

Thanks!

funnybone
12-05-2001, 12:22 PM
My guess is that the cookie with more flour will hold its shape when baked, while the other cookie will spread out more on the cookie sheet.

lweiss
12-05-2001, 12:52 PM
I made them in a 9x13 pan so spreading won't be an issue. The dough was very sticky. I'm sure extra flour would have made a difference. Would extra flour also have made them drier and harder? I prefer a softer cookie. I hope they turn out. Macadamia nuts are pricey!!
Thanks.

beejayw1
12-05-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by lweiss
I prefer a softer cookie. I hope they turn out. Macadamia nuts are pricey!!
Thanks.

Apropos of nothing that you posted, if you like chewy cookies, use crisco. Butter makes them crisp. (Just ask Sarah Moulton).

Leanne
12-05-2001, 01:26 PM
I had a similar experience last night. I was about to throw out 3 ugly bananas, when I decided to make banana bread. Found 2 recipes - one had double the flour, but the same amount of liquids - granted in different forms - oil vs butter, vanilla vs no vanilla, etc. I combined the recipes - using 1/2 the flour. Somehow - it's great. I always thought baking was so precise until last night.