PDA

View Full Version : ISO Best Soy Recipes...Yummy and Light

LisaSch
12-07-2001, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for lots of yummy and light soy recipes (soy milk, tofu, soy beans, edamane, you name it). Right off I did a search of this board on edamane and soy and found a few wonderful-looking recipes. I am sure I will try the TOMATO, EDAMAME AND CORN SAUTE WITH CUMIN AND CILANTRO and the EDAMAME AND CARROT SALAD WITH RICE VINEGAR DRESSING but I was looking for a perhaps recipes that were a bit lighter. The above two have a 33% and a 37% fat content respectively. Since my husband needs to add soy to his diet regularly (high cholesterol) and I am working on loosing some weight, I was hoping the wisdom of this board could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Lisa

lindrusso
12-07-2001, 11:48 AM
Hi Lisa,

I just wanted to point out that most of the fat in those recipes above is coming from the edamame itself. It's hard, but I tend to "overlook" the fat in soy because the benefits are worth every gram of fat! :) The fat in soy will not have cholesterol (cholesterol is only found in animal products), so this should not be of worry for your husband. It's the saturated fats that are "evil". The recipes you mentioned only have .5 g of saturated fat per serving, so the rest is "good" fat.

However, to lower the fat in the two recipes you mentioned, you could cut down the tablespoon of vegetable oil - that certainly would help. Especially in the sauté, you could easily get away with only a teaspoon of oil. Also, using canola or olive oil will further reduce the amount of saturated fat.

Another easy way to get soy is to use soy milk - I use it for on my breakfast cereal, in baking (I used it recently to make pancakes) and in smoothies. The fresh soymilk in the containers like orange juice (usually located near the regular milk) is, in my opinion, better than the soy milk on the shelves.

If you search the Great Food board for "tofu", you should come up with many yummy recipes.

Based on recommendations on this board, I have tried Luna Bars and have found that these are a yummy way to get some soy. You can also look in the health food stores or sections of your grocery store for breakfast cereals that contain soy - Soy Flakes and Kashi Go-Lean Crunch are two of my favorites.

Good luck!

Svadhisthana
12-07-2001, 11:51 AM
........here are some books to look into:

"3 Bowls" by Seppo Ed Farrey

"A Spoonful of Ginger" Nina Simonds

"Linda's Kitchen" Linda McCartney

As well as the "Moosewood" cookboods by Mollie Katzen

Enjoy!:D :D :D