PDA

View Full Version : Quick Indian Chicken: yummy, regretfully not light...

Gail
09-29-2000, 08:24 PM
Yes, I KNOW there was a thread for quick chicken recipes using parts other than breasts... except that she specifically asked for a light recipe, and this does have rather a lot of oil.

But, it's good, darn it! And easy.

Make it. Now. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/wink.gif

Chicken in a Red Sweet Pepper Sauce
(Lal masale wali murghi)

Serves 4

1 kg (2 1/4 lb) chicken pieces (I used strictly boneless, skinless thighs and breasts)
100 g (4 oz) onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
2.5 cm (1 inch) cube fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic
25 g (1 oz) blanched, slivered almonds
350 g (12 oz) red sweet peppers, trimmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt (what is she, nuts?)
7 tablespoons vegetable oil (I probably undercut this, too)
240 ml (8 fl oz) water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

If chicken legs are whole, divide drumsticks from thighs with a sharp knife. Breasts should be cut into 4 parts. (Ow!) Skin all chicken pieces.

Combine the onions, ginger, garlic, almonds, peppers, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and salt in the container of a food processor or blender. Blend, pushing down with a rubber spatula whenever you need to, until you have a paste.

Put the oil in a large, wide, and preferably non-stick pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, pour in all the paste. Stir and fry it for 10 - 12 minutes or until you see the oil forming tiny bubbles around it. Avoid singing that annoying Don Ho song.

Put in the chicken, with the water, lemon juice and black pepper. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Stir a few times.

Serve. Eat. Enjoy.

(From: Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking)

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 09-29-2000).]

Kathy
09-29-2000, 08:54 PM
Oh, YUM! Thank you!

Vanessa
09-30-2000, 09:36 PM
Hi Gail...Mmm sounds very good. Thanks for posting it! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

lorilei
10-02-2000, 07:54 AM
Allow me to vouch for this recipe -- it is delicious, and makes the most beautiful smelling leftovers ever!

We served it with spinach couscous and enjoyed every bite...

BarbaraL
10-02-2000, 08:33 PM
I saw this recipe and just happened to have all the ingredients (including my own roasted peppers that I was preparing for freezing). It was great! I used 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper and thought it was a little hotter than I'd like (husband loved it), but had the leftovers today for lunch and it was perfect! Guess the flavors needed to blend. Thanks for posting this recipe -- it's a keeper.

Gail
10-03-2000, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by BarbaraL:
I saw this recipe and just happened to have all the ingredients (including my own roasted peppers that I was preparing for freezing). It was great! I used 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper and thought it was a little hotter than I'd like (husband loved it), but had the leftovers today for lunch and it was perfect! Guess the flavors needed to blend. Thanks for posting this recipe -- it's a keeper.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought this was so easy and good, it seemed a shame NOT to pass it along. (Plus, I've decided after making this a couple of times, it can really afford to have the oil content cut a bit without appreciable harm.) I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

lorilei
10-03-2000, 11:19 PM
Good to know as well that this is good with roasted peppers. I was tempted to try it that way myself http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif