PDA

View Full Version : Yummy Brussel Sprout recipe to share!

clairea
12-18-2001, 01:03 PM
I made this last night, and it was fabulous. DH even liked it, and I thought he was going to turn around and walk right back out the door last night when DS announced that we were having brussels sprouts for dinner (and DH only tried them because the kids wanted to try them, so I told him he had to set a good example) I'll post the recipe as it was given to me, then describe my modifications.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts

2 pounds brussels sprouts
2 T butter or margarine
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small purple onion, cut into slivers (1/2 c)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 c plus 2T red wine vinegar
1 1/2 T brown sugar

Wash brussels sprouts; remove discolored leaves. Cut off stem ends and thinly slice brussels sprouts. (They should look shredded). Heat butter and oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add shredded brussels sprouts, garlic, and onion. Saute 8-10 minutes, or until brussels spouts are tender and onion is lightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper; transfer to a serving bowl. Add vinegar and brown sugar to skillet. Simmer over medium heat 30 seconds; pour over brussels sprouts, and toss gently. Serve hot. 8 servings.

I halved the recipe. I made this in a non-stick pan without the butter and only used 1 teaspoon of olive oil. I also used balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.

Claire

JHolcomb
12-18-2001, 01:12 PM
I have a pound of the most beautiful organic brussels sprouts in my fridge right now-now I know exactly what I'm going to do with them. Thanks!

KelLeg
12-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I've never had brussel sprouts, but have wanted to try them. I'll pick some up at the store!

Susan
12-18-2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks for this recipe, Claire! We were recently introduced to brussel sprouts at our CSA farm this season and LOVE them! I made a CL recipe with one batch that was a major winner! My dh and I both remembered hating brussel sprouts as kids but all we ever had were the frozen boiled kind. I'm glad that my dds won't have the same experience we did! They both gobbled them up with glee the last time I served them. Next time I will try your recipe! Thanks again!

~Susan~

Oh, here's the CL recipe in case anyone is interested:

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Brussels Sprouts and Carrots With Almonds

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: September 1999 PAGE: 98

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
1-1/2 cups julienne-cut carrot
3 cups trimmed Brussels sprouts, quartered (about 3/4 pound)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
If your Brussels sprouts are really big, you may want to cut them into six wedges.

1. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrot; saute 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add Brussels sprouts; saute 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add parsley and remaining ingredients; cook 30 seconds or until the sugar melts, stirring constantly. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 84 (42% from fat); FAT 3.9g (sat 1.9g, mono 1.4g, poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 11.3g; FIBER 4.4g; CHOL 8mg; IRON 1.3mg; SODIUM 208mg; CALC

Wendy w
12-18-2001, 01:33 PM
Thanks Claire. That looks great! I love brussels sprouts!

kima
12-18-2001, 02:36 PM
Thankyou Clare!! I was just wondering how I was going to prepare the brussels this Christmas- you have provided the perfect recipe!! Gotta love this place!:)

slknight
12-18-2001, 02:43 PM
Yikes! I thought that "yummy" and "brussel sprouts" were mutually exclusive. :D No green balls for me, thanks.

lorilei
12-18-2001, 03:08 PM
mmmm... All this talk about brussel sprouts reminds me of my favorite recipe for the little critters.

I always roast mine in a 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (or until they're tender and brown). I usually roast a head of garlic along with them, which I then mix with a bit of butter and balsamic vinegar -- pureed, this makes an excellent sauce which can be tossed with the brussel sprouts.

This is a great recipe for company. It can be made ahead and reheated for 2-3 minutes in the microwave...

eas11
12-18-2001, 03:54 PM
This is a great sounding recipe Clairea. I just wish i had read the board BEFORE stopping to buy veggies on my way home from work for a pot luck tomorrow!
We love them. I usually roast 'em to death, halved with just olive oil, S&P.

Peggy
12-18-2001, 10:26 PM
Claire,

That recipe looks wonderful! I am always looking for good brussel sprout recipes because they are so good for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Peggy

Peggy C.
12-19-2001, 06:57 AM
thanks it looks yummy, and I used to call them little cabbage balls! My how our tastes do change!

Anne
12-19-2001, 10:43 AM
thanks for the recipe Lorilei - I was just going to inquire if anyone had ever tried baking or roasting them. I think I'll try some tonight.

ElinorC
12-19-2001, 01:24 PM
Susan,
That recipe is one of my favorite. Now I've got to try the shredded ones! Thanks Claire.