PDA

View Full Version : Penzey's question

KelLeg
01-02-2002, 08:05 AM
My second question! When using Penzey's spices, do you lessen the amount you put in a recipe? Are they more potent??? TIA!

SandyM
01-02-2002, 08:06 AM
Hi Kelly,

I wouldn't say they're more potent, but definitely more flavorful. Obviously with something like the double-strength vanilla, you may want to cut the measurement in half (although I don't).

I have to be careful with my Hot Chili Powder. When I was using McCormick's, I'd put 4-5 tbsp. in my chili, and it still wouldn't have that 'zing'. I do like a spicy chili. But with this Hot Chili Powder from Penzeys - whew!

I'd say follow the recipe as it's called for.

funnybone
01-02-2002, 08:28 AM
I never skimp on the double vanilla or Vietnamese cinnamon - you can NEVER have enough of these flavors, IMHO!

I do agree with Sandy on the chili powders though - and you can always add more if needed.

Jewel
01-02-2002, 10:20 AM
I agree with the above! I've never decreased my amounts of Vietnamese Cinnamon or the Double Vanilla. My baked goods are now simply more flavorful! It's not just the baked stuff though, because my Oven Fried Cinnamon Chicken is even more awesome with the Vietnamese Cinnamon!

I agree with SandyM about the Chili Powders too! I got carried away making a pot of chili a few months ago and 'bout set off the smoke alarms! :eek:

Julia1Pin
01-02-2002, 06:47 PM
I used 1 tsp. of Northwoods Fire spice in my Bree's Lentil Soup (instead of 1 tsp. chili powder) and it was definately much, much hotter! So beware.

Varaile
01-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Ditto what everyone else has said! :D

I would also add to the chili powder recommendation Penzey's Curry Powder. I used it as called for in a Thai recipe and WOW! Did that make my nose run! I now cut the measurement back by about a 1/4-1/2 (I do like things with some heat, but a reasonable heat!).

Carefull with that curry! ;)