PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Strudel

rsaturley
01-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I am trying to find a recipe for Chicken Strudel - it was in Cooking Light last year, but it not coming up in the recipe finders.

Any ideas?

Grace
01-02-2002, 11:48 AM
I love this recipe. I've made it often.

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Chicken Strudel

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: May PAGE: 155

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped (about 8 cups)
4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 1-1/4 pounds)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon paprika

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, and saute for 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, and cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken and the next 6 ingredients (chicken through garlic).

2. Lightly coat 1 sheet phyllo dough with cooking spray (cover remaining dough to keep from drying). Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs. Repeat the layers with 3 sheets phyllo, cooking spray, and 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs.

3. Gently press the layers together. Place about 2-1/2 cups chicken mixture along 1 long edge of top phyllo sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Starting at the long edge with the 1/2-inch border, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Tuck ends under.
Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets phyllo, cooking spray, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, and 2-1/2 cups chicken mixture. Brush strudels evenly with butter. Sprinkle each with 1/8 teaspoon paprika.

4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

5. Bake strudels at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut each strudel into 4 slices. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 strudels, 4 servings per strudel (serving size: 1 slice).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 248 (30% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 3.6g, mono 2.3g, poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 23.8g; CARB 18.8g; FIBER 2g; CHOL 59mg; IRON 2.8mg; SODIUM 345mg; CALC 172mg

Barrie
01-02-2002, 12:21 PM
This sounds yummy and I'd love to give this a try.

Grace - what do you serve with it?

TheresaM
01-02-2002, 01:56 PM
I have been wanting to make this, but I seem to be missing something. I have never worked with Phyllo dough, but I thought a sheet of dough was only 3x3 or 4x4. So I don't understand how you end up with a studel that you cut into 3-4 pieces ??

Grace
01-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Barrie: I typically serve this a brunch item, but I have served it for dinner for just my husband and myself. A nice big salad goes along nicely with this.

Theresa, I don't know the exact measurements of the phyllo dough, but they come in BIG rectangles, not small squares. Perhaps you found some specialty phyllo sized for appetizers or something, but usually it's a stack of long rectangular sheets, first folded in half crosswise, then rolled up and stuck into a long thin box. It's found in the grocery store in the freezer section. That's the kind called for in this recipe. Oh, and this recipe has you roll the strudel from the long end (which produces a longer, thinner strudel). I did it this way the first time, but found that I preferred rolling it from the short end better. You get a somewhat "fatter", although shorter strudel. Just personal preference though, doesn't affect the taste in any way!

katygirl
01-03-2002, 03:58 PM
I made this and only used half the recommended chicken. But I also included 2 cups of mushrooms which it didn't call for. It was awesome, even reheated in the microwave the next day. Thanks for reminding me about this, I'm going to have to make it soon.

Norma
01-03-2002, 09:50 PM
I made this tonight. It was my first time ever working with phyllo dough. I was a bit frustrated with it, but the end result was yummy. I will try to find other recipes using phyllo dough and get some more practice. :)

KelLeg
01-04-2002, 08:12 AM
I'm glad to see this thread b/c I just noticed this recipe when thumbing through old issues this morning. I might have to try this one. I would maybe use the rest of the phyllo for spanakopitas which I have also wanted to make.

TheresaM
01-04-2002, 08:20 AM
Katygirl, what brand of phyllo dough did you use ? and where did you get it ? I live in MA and have only seen Pepperidge Farm and thought that it was sheets of 3x3 or 4x4. I'm I wrong about the Pepperidge Farm ?

Norma
01-04-2002, 10:07 AM
What are spanakopitas?

Barrie
01-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Spanakopita is spinach pie.

Jacque O
01-04-2002, 10:54 AM
We had this on one of our St. Louis Supper Club menus and it got a definite thumbs up from all of us. I think I'll try the suggestion of rolling it the opposite way though.

Phyllo can be a little frustrating to work with if you haven't had some practice. But keeping it cool, covered, and moist are important tips in working with it. The nice thing is that unless you're in a food show, you can patch any rips or tears :( by using moistened fingers and sticking it together. Most likely no one will even notice and certainly no one will care! ;)

SusanMac
01-04-2002, 11:01 AM
I made a variation of this last night w/phyllo I had leftover from the 11/01 mushroom strudel. Phyllo dough is now my favorite thing! It's so easy, but really gives a unique spin to dinner. And, if you use Pam instead of butter on the sheets, it's not high-fat either. DH absolutely loved it (was disappointed there wasn't more!)

We didn't have Pepperidge Farms, but a different brand, and I found it really, really easy to use. Now I want to try the chili relleno recipe posted here last month.

I have found that it's not very good for leftovers. I did have a piece of the mushroom strudel the day after, but it loses all its flakiness when refridgerated/nuked.

Grace
01-04-2002, 11:09 AM
SusanMac, I found that reheating the leftovers on a somewhat low oven temp (say 300 or so) on my baking stone made the leftovers taste just like the fresh! We tried nuking too, and while I still ate it, the phyllo was kind of soggy/mushy and not as good as the fresh!

I also like that these recipes can be made in advance and then just refrigerate before baking until you're ready to bake and serve them. Makes for very easy entertaining!

rsaturley
01-04-2002, 12:02 PM
I made this and it was yummy. I agree with Grace that the best way to reheat is on the oven. The leftovers were just as good.

I just served a big sald with it and it was great.

SusanMac - what do you put in the mushroom strudel?

Norma
01-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the reheating-in-oven suggestion. I halved the recipe because I was worried about the quality of leftovers and I didn't want too much left. I checked it this morning and the dough was soft. The low-heat oven idea sounds perfect. Thanks so much!
:)

SusanMac
01-06-2002, 10:56 AM
rsaturly -- i made the mushroom/onion strudel from the CL 11/01 issue. Basically, it's sauteed mushrooms & onions, combined with a little sherry, thyme & sour cream. Very easy and really good.

Norma
01-06-2002, 05:13 PM
As Grace and rsaturley suggested, I reheated my strudel in the oven and I couldn't tell the leftovers from the original. It was just great! In a pinch, maybe the leftovers could be frozen, thawed and reheated with the same results??? I thought maybe it would take too much time to heat through and would dry out the filling on the ends, so I nuked it at 50% power for about 3 minutes until it felt slightly warm then put it in the oven. It didn't take very long to reheat.