PDA

View Full Version : About Cooking schools

venus
10-02-2000, 01:22 PM
Andrea Jackson--

Are you interested into going to cooking school? I haven't, but my husband's little brother was looking into it.

The best cooking school in America (supposedly) is the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Poughkipsee NY. it is the only 4 year school in the US devoted entirely to cooking. I have a few friends who went there and really enjoyed it. There are two other excellent cooking schools in the North East that I know of. One is The New England Culinary School (I think) and the other is the French Culinary Institute. You can also go to Johnson and Wales in RI for cooking but they are mainly a hospitality school. There is also a very good school in Houston TX and I think there is another good on in San Francisco, but I can't remember their names.

Good luck!!

andreajackson
10-02-2000, 03:08 PM
Thanks Venus! I am looking and I think that pastry chef is the direction that I'm hoping to go. I think that it would be such a great experience. I have heard of a few of those schools but was hoping for something closer. By the way I live in Indiana. Thanks again!

Pat
10-02-2000, 03:15 PM
Andrea, where in Indiana? Louisville, KY has a good cooking school associated with Sullivan College and they have a 9-month course for pastry chefs, I believe.

venus
10-02-2000, 03:15 PM
A pastry chef? I'll volunteer to taste all your homework for you http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif

I'm sure that there is somewhere near you. Look in the Chicago area. BTW, I just typed cooking school into Yahoo and came up with 20 category hits.

Best of luck.

lorilei
10-02-2000, 03:26 PM
How interesting...

This thread has me thinking about how fun it would be just to GO to cooking school... even if I never became anything.

And then I thought:
They would BOIL me alive in cooking school. I don't do anything "properly" and I don't own a jar of turmeric. *LOL*

SandyM
10-02-2000, 03:32 PM
Own a jar???? I can't even spell it, much less tell you what it's used for.

If an instructor in any reputable cooking school saw me flinging the sauce the way I do in my own kitchen, I'd be sent to detention the first day - LOL.

AndreaU
10-02-2000, 05:18 PM
Well, guess I have to plug my alma mater... Paul Smith's College in the Adirondack Mtns. of NY- about 20 miles from Lake Placid. It's a small, private college with emphasis on hospitality (culinary arts/baking degrees as well as hotel mgmt) and, yes, forestry. They offer 2 & 4 year degrees and certificates in culinary arts. The college owns & operates their own hotel (Hotel Saranac in Saranac Lake), at which students complete an internship. They have an option to study abroad in the Burgundy region of France with chefs trained at Le Cordon Bleu! If interested (even if not), check it out at http://www.paulsmiths.edu

DNCW
10-02-2000, 08:30 PM
I took several classes at the Peter Kump school in New York, and all of them were excellent! I know they have classes for aspiring professional chefs as well as the weekend warriors

Beth Y
10-03-2000, 02:56 PM
I have no interest in being a chef, hey I already did that career thing...but would really like to learn to be a better cook. That is, I would like to better my knife skills and learn some of the basics, like sauces, etc. Much like the tutorials that Cl is having, but more intensive. (I have really profited from the braising article, for example.

Does anyone know any place that has a short term program for regular cooks not wanting to be chefs? Most of the classes around here and that I have read about in magazines teach you how to cook a couple of dishes, not real basics stuff.

Any thoughts? Oh, yeah, having it in a great city or nice resort would be a bonus.

Ohioan
10-03-2000, 03:29 PM
Beth Y, try one of your local community colleges; sometimes they have culinary arts programs with individual classes aimed at the (nonmatriculated) public.

Phoebe

venus
10-03-2000, 03:39 PM
Beth--

Check this out. These look like interesting short term cooking classes. http://www.lcbottawa.com/special.htm

There are also lots of great cooking schools in NYC that offer one day, three week and specialty classes. The New York Cooking School is the only one I can think of right now, but I'm sure you can find more on the web.

AndreaU
10-03-2000, 03:59 PM
Beth Y,
I know there is a school in New York City at Macy's. It's called DeGustibus Cooking School. The website, including class schedules, is http://www.starchefs.com/DeGustibus/
Hope that helps!

Beth Y
10-04-2000, 04:11 PM
Venus, the Cordon Bleu, Paris, they offer 5 day classes, now wouldn't that be a dream CHristmas present from my hubby.....hmmm, how can I get him to check out this site???????

Reality check needed here.

venus
10-04-2000, 04:38 PM
Beth! How wonderful! Now you've got me daydreaming http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Laura B
10-04-2000, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Beth Y:
Does anyone know any place that has a short term program for regular cooks not wanting to be chefs? Most of the classes around here and that I have read about in magazines teach you how to cook a couple of dishes, not real basics stuff.

Any thoughts? Oh, yeah, having it in a great city or nice resort would be a bonus.

Peter Kump's New York Cook School, mentioned above by DNCW, is supposed to be excellent. I have tried to get up there twice for classes but have had to cancel each time. They offer programs that are one night a week if you live in NYC. If you don't, they offer "intensives" that give you all of the classes back to back in one week and cost about 500 dollars. You can do basic to advanced and there is a wide variety of subjects (basics, italian, light cooking, pastry, etc.). I read that they offer more recreational cooking classes than any other cooking school. I am dying to go to the French Culinary Institute (just for fun, I couldn't hack it as a chef) in NYC but they don't have recreational courses, only a 6 month professional program. One day, I'll take 6 months off and just do it!

Anwyay, check out Peter Kump's at pkcookschool.com and FCI at www.frenchculinary.com (http://www.frenchculinary.com)

By the way, if you are in NYC you should eat at L'ecole, the restaurant of FCI. It is AMAZING and cheap (price fixed 4 course dinner for 27.95 per person).

JeanneL
10-06-2000, 02:48 PM
In San Francisco, try either the California Culinary Institute or HomeChef. HomeChef has many outlets in California and is more for the novice cook, not aspiring professional chefs. Also in California there is the Greystone campus of the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) located in St. Helena in the heart of the wine country. Also, check out your town's social services - especially around the holidays.

JodiL
10-06-2000, 03:20 PM
I was inspired by the above posts to look up the Peter Kump New York Cooking School (www.pkcookschool.com). They do have intensive classes that are a week long, Mon-Fri, from 10am-3pm for about $485. The classes I am most interested in are the Techniques of Fine Cooking, and is an 8 part series (each part is a 1 week intensive class). I am supposed to get a catalog in the mail, but what an awesome gift that would be!

I think staying in New York for a week would cost more than the actually classes--does anyone know of any good inexpensive places to stay?

Also, has anyone actually taken these classes that can post a review?

Thanks...Jodi

JodiL
10-09-2000, 01:48 PM
I'm being evil and bumping this up to the top in hope of a response... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JodiL (edited 10-09-2000).]

AndreaU
10-09-2000, 02:21 PM
Jodi-
An idea for cutting hotel costs in NYC is to stay outside the city and bus or train it in. There are plenty of hotels in Westchester county, NY, just north of NYC... check out hotels in White Plains or Tarrytown. I know there is a Marriott Courtyard in one of those towns. Also, there is a Ramada Inn (and possibly other hotels) in Weehawken, NJ which is just a quick jump across the river. Sure you'll have to pay for tickets but I'm sure you'll make up the savings on the hotel bill.