PDA

View Full Version : Is there a substitute for a tart pan?

aggie94
01-15-2002, 04:54 PM
One of the recipes that I wanted to make for our French-themed supper club this weekend is for Roasted Red Pepper & Leek Tartlets (thanks Gina!). It calls for four 4-5" tart pans, which I don't have and would probably never use again. Is there something else I could use instead? Like a mini-muffin pan? I realize they'd be much smaller, but would it still work? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to break down and buy some tart pans. Are they expensive, or can I get some cheapies, or even disposable ones?

wallycat
01-15-2002, 05:27 PM
I have to admit that I usually toss it into one pie plate and cut stuff out as if it were pie wedges. Haven't made this recipe so not sure that that will work...
anyone else?:D

JJeannette
01-16-2002, 07:52 AM
You can usually find disposable foil pie pans in the 5" size---would those work?

funnybone
01-16-2002, 08:05 AM
Are these the tart pans with the removeable bottoms? I don't think that you can easily sub for those, but for regular ones, you can buy disposible ones. However, I'd check out the price of the "real" ones first, as you may love the recipe and want to keep making it.

aggie94
01-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Are there tart pans with and without disposable bottoms?? The recipe doesn't specify. Now I'm confused, but I think I might just check out some 5" disposable pie pans (thanks, Jeannette!).

As for loving the recipe, that's entirely possible but DH doesn't like leeks and I would probably never make this again at home. That's the only reason I'm hesitant to spend the money - it's most likely a one-time recipe for us.

funnybone
01-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by aggie94
Are there tart pans with and without disposable bottoms?? The recipe doesn't specify. Now I'm confused, but I think I might just check out some 5" disposable pie pans (thanks, Jeannette!).

Well, I don't think they make those. There are the ones with the removeable bottoms, similar to the large tart pans. Now, it just depends on what we all think a tart pan is:

What I call a tart pan

http://a1412.g.akamai.net/7/1412/243/0066/www.williams-sonoma.com/wsecimgs/ws_products_v11/K/E/s24643-0hm.jpg

or

What I call mini pie plates

http://a1412.g.akamai.net/7/1412/243/0066/www.williams-sonoma.com/wsecimgs/ws_products_v11/E/I/s27017-0hm.jpg

I bought the mini pie plates last fall for about $2.50 on sale at Le Gourmet Chef. I have not used them yet - I have 6 of them, but I knew it was a great deal.

Note: Pictures from WS site

aggie94
01-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Oops. What I meant to ask is whether there are both tart pans with removable bottoms and tart pans without removable bottoms. I didn't mean to include the word "disposable." Sorry for the confusion!

Anyway, I also envision a tart pan being like the first picture you posted. I'm not sure the removable bottom is necessary for this recipe, but it does call for a "tart pan" and I assume there's a reason for that. So does that first kind of pan (with the removable bottom) come in 4 or 5 inch sizes? I think that's what I'm supposed to be looking for. But why the need for the removable bottom? There's nothing in the directions for the recipe that suggest that I do anything with that, so maybe I can just go with Jeannette's suggestion and look for some small disposable pie pans? Arrrggghhhh!!! Maybe I should just scrap this recipe altogether...

funnybone
01-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Now that we are clear, I have seen the first tart pan in different sizes and types in kitchen stores. I have seen removeable bottoms, and fixed bottoms. I guess depending on what you are making, the removeable bottom helps. For a dessert with a custard like filling, I could see where the removeable bottom would make it easier to serve and keep it in one piece.

I really don't know what you could use as an alternative in your recipe, as I am not familiar with it. Could you not make it in a quiche pan instead making one large, rather than several small tarts.

lorilei
01-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Alright, since we're on this topic, I have a question which has plagued me forever.

What's the difference between a FLAN pan and a TART pan?

I own two flan pans... and in my guesstimation, they have always looked suspiciously like tart pans... Have I been flan-boozled?

aggie94
01-17-2002, 11:46 AM
A quiche pan? Egads! I don't even know what that is, and I'm sure I don't have one of those either! I am heading to BB&B this afternoon to look for cheap small tart pans. <sigh> Thanks for the help! This darn recipe better be great!

Lorilei, I've never actually heard of a flan pan before. My DH makes flan a lot as it's a traditional dessert in his family. He's tried lots of different pans and has found that the cheap aluminum (not non-stick, not disposable) round cake pans that you can get from the grocery store work the best.

funnybone
01-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by lorilei
Alright, since we're on this topic, I have a question which has plagued me forever.

What's the difference between a FLAN pan and a TART pan?

I own two flan pans... and in my guesstimation, they have always looked suspiciously like tart pans... Have I been flan-boozled?

I have always thought they were the same things. If you are making a flan, then you can call it a flan pan, and if you are making a tart, you can call it a tart pan. However, some have removeable bottoms, and others have a bottom that has an "indentation" so that when you make the cake or a shell, and turn it upside down, you can fill it in. I'm not sure if I'm clear. Sorry to confuse anyone.

Aggie, this is a quiche pan -

http://a444.g.akamai.net/7/444/703/20010822162738/www.marthastewart.com/images/products/mbm/cooking_entertaining/1000_apilcoquiche_s.jpg

aggie94
01-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Hmmm. Looks like a tart pan, but without the removeable bottom. Boy, I remember the college days when all I really needed to get by was a round cake pan and a lasagna pan. If I couldn't make it in either of those, I wasn't eating it!

Thanks, funnybone. I'll see what I can find at BB&B this afternoon - sounds like I can probably do a little improvising if I don't find exactly what I need.