PDA

View Full Version : Couple of reviews

pammy
01-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Gotta love going back and finding old CL recipes that are "new to you". DH's aunt gave me the CL 2000 Annual (which I think are all the recipes from 1999). Well, I pulled out a couple that I don't ever remember seeing for this week.

Seared Chicken and Peppers with Cilantro Sauce - Absolutely delicious. DH said, "Okay, you can make this again". The recipe is posted in the thread started by KValley, titled "What's Cooking this Week". I made a couple of minor changes. Used chicken tenders so that they would cook in my grill pan more quickly and used Wegmans smokey salsa instead of picante sauce. The Wegmans salsa has chipotles in it, so you could just add half a chipotle or some chipotle sauce to standard store-bought salsa. Its worth it to do that, IMHO. The smokiness contrasted really well with the refreshing, tangy sauce. I used the biggest jalepeno pepper I could find (like lots of tang, but it wasn't hot, just a nice kick). Had this along with black beans & brown rice and a green salad with tomatoes and avacado. Washed it all down with a Saranac Adiorondak Amber. We were happy campers Tuesday night.

Sesame Garlic Pork Tenderloin, Stir Fried Broccoli with Oyster Sauce and Five Spice Rice - All of these have been reviewed separately, but I just wanted to let you guys know that they are wonderful companions in a meal. The pork is amcleod's (probably a front runner for BB recipe of the year already in January!), the broccoli from CL Jan/Feb 01, and the rice is from Moosewood Low Fat Faves.

Spicy Thai Coconut Shrimp - From CL May 99. It was okay, nothing to jump up and down about, though. Although I must say that I subbed sugar snap peas for the asparagus, and I have never had sugar snap peas. They are great. They're on sale at Wegmans this week for $1.99/lb and I think I need to get some more for dinner on Sunday. Very crisp and sweet, just like their name implies. Anyway, DH and I kept getting up from the table to grab cayenne pepper and salt to add some flavor to the shrimp dish. I would probably triple the red curry paste in the recipe. If anyone is dying for the recipe, I'll post it, but seriously guys, there are much better uses for shrimp and coconut milk.

Terrytx
01-24-2002, 12:05 PM
excellent reviews-thanks! The Seared Chicken is on my menu for next week (I think). We had the Five Spice Rice last night and loved it.

Joyce
01-24-2002, 12:31 PM
I would love the recipe for the five spice rice if you wouldn't mind posting.

pammy
01-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Joyce,

Here's a link to the thread where emilycat kindly typed out a ton of wonderful grain recipes. The five-spice rice is on page 2, near the top.

http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/showthreadphp?s=&threadid=6684&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

Terrytx
01-24-2002, 12:59 PM
* Exported from MasterCook *

Five-Spice Rice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
a few splashes soy sauce

In a colander or sieve, rinse rice with cool water and set aside to drain.

Warm the oil in a medium saucepan and add ginger, garlic and five-spice
powder. Saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the rice and salt
and saute for another 2 minutes, continuing to stir. Add the water and
sherry or rice wine, cover; bring to a boil, and then gently simmer for
about 40 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is
tender. Add soy sauce to taste and serve.

per 8-ounce serving: 180 cal, 3.4g pro, 2.4g fat, 33.6g carb, 0mg chol,
159mg sod, .2g fiber.

Source:
"Moosewood-Low-Fat Favorites"

pammy
01-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks for jumping in Terry, I tried to edit to get the link to work, to no avail. I'm technology challenged :( .