PDA

View Full Version : Amish Cinnamon Bread Starter Question

pammy
01-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey all,

Hoping that someone at the table has received one of these starters before and can give me their opinion. DH's aunt gave me a starter (seems to be along the lines of sourdough starter, you feed it a cup of flour and a cup of sugar on day 5, then feed it again on day 10, use one cup for the bread, and give the other 4 cups friends) for Amish Cinnamon bread. I'll try anything once, so what the heck! I'm at day 10 and since this is a really sweet bread, I'm planning to make it for my friend's birthday tomorrow. The problem is, the recipe calls for 1 cup of oil and that is against my religion :D ! Do you think I can safely sub a cup of fat free yogurt safely with the starter? Will the cultures in the yogurt fight with the yeast in the starter? I appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thanks,

Pam

p.s. Wish I could give the 4 starters to you guys, too bad there's nobody in the Lehigh Valley :( . Oooh, wait, Gabby, I just remembered you. If you read this, and want a starter, just PM me.

Beth
01-24-2002, 03:56 PM
I don't think the yogurt will fight the sourdough -- I made a sourdough starter using yogurt once. You may have more tang than intended, and if it's too much, just add a little baking soda to neutralize it (my pancake recipe uses 1/2 tsp per cup of starter -- you can't eat them without it, but I don't use any in bread recipes that have maybe one part starter to about 4 parts flour).

HedyL
01-24-2002, 08:16 PM
i just love the amish bread....do you know how you make the starter?

Vanessa
01-24-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi:
I found this starter recipe...Hope it works.
Vanessa
Amish Friendship Bread Starter
Make something special to share with a friend! This delicious starter can
make a variety of breads. Do not use metal containers or utensils. Prep
Time: approx. 30 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 216 Hours 40 Minutes. Makes 4
cups of starter (4 servings).
Submitted by Ginger McKenney

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 cups white sugar, divided
3 cups milk
Directions
1 In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass,
plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump
when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let
stand at room temperature until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle.
2 On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
3 Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first
bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store
the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over
again (beginning with step 2).

Editor's Note:
Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this
recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use.
Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

jnelson
01-24-2002, 10:46 PM
I have made this bread using 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce. Turns out great. I have never made it with the whole cup of oil so I don't have a comparison. But I really like the results I got using the applesauce.

pammy
01-25-2002, 06:29 AM
Hmmmm. Never thought about making pancakes with this. Beth, what is your recipe for pancakes made with sourdough starter? I'm going to try making the bread with Stonyfield's FF vanilla yogurt. It is not a very "tangy" tasting yogurt, so hopefully the bread won't be too sour. I'm also thinking that I'm going to take hunks of the dough and dip them in a bit of butter, then roll in a sugar/cinnamon mixture and layer them in a bundt pan to make a kind of pull-apart coffee bread. Sound good?

Susan
01-25-2002, 07:46 PM
Okay, I know there is a thread (or 2) floating out there with all of these recipes on it, but I just copied them all into one document and neglected to copy the thread url. Anyway, these were all posted by Cheryl "phantomcg". Thanks again, Cheryl! :D

~Susan~

<<Here are 2 recipes for the Amish Starter (the 2nd one is the one I currently have) and the recipe for the pancakes/waffles. I'll post some other things that you can use this starter for in a new thread.

Amish Bread Starter

2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup flour

Combine ingredients in a large, airtight container with lid and store at room temp. Do not refrigerate. Stir once (with non-metallic spoon) daily for 17 days. After that, handle starter according to the following instructions:
Day 18 - do nothing
Days 19, 20 and 21 - Stir once daily.
Day 22 - stir. Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir again.
Day 23, 24, 25 and 26 - stir once each day.
Day 27 - add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir
Take out three 1-cup portions. Give 1 cup to 2 friends and keep the third cup for yourself to use in the Amish Bread recipe.

When you give the starter to your friends, include the following directions:
*Do not refrigerate. Do not stir with a metal spoon.
*Day 1, do nothing.
*Days 2, 3, and 4 stir once daily.
*Day 5, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Pour mixture into large jar and keep at room temp. Stir and pour into 3 portions of 1 cup each. Portions can be given to friends so that they have starter or used to make Amish Bread.

Amish Friendship Bread Starter #2

1 pk Active dry yeast
2 1/2 c warm water
2 c sifted flour
1 tb sugar
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a deep glass or platic container. Stir in remaining warm water, flour and sugar. Beat until smooth. Cover with loose fitting cover. DO NOT REFRIGERATE. The starter requires 10 days for fermentation as follows:
*Days 1, 2, 3, and 4 - Stir batter
*Day 5 - Add 1 cup each milk, flour and sugar and stir.
*Day 6, 7, 8 and 9 - Stir batter each day.
*Day 10 - Add 1 cup each flour, sugar and milk and stir.
The batter is ready to use.
This makes 3 cups batter to use in the receipes. If you want to, you may pour 1 cup batter each into 3 containers and give 1 or 2 away. Save 1 cup to begin process all over again OR you can use all 3 cups batter for the recipes at 1 time and when you want to start the starter again.
(I use 1 gallon zip-lock bags instead of containers and "squeeze" the bag several times daily rather than stirring)

Pancakes
1 c flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 t. sugar

Combine above in a large bowl.

Combine:
2 T. oil
2 c. Amish Starter
1/2 c. milk
1 egg

Add small bowl to large and mix on medium speed. Spoon batter onto greased griddle.

To prepare batter for waffles, follow the same directions except increase oil to 1/4 c.

Here are some more recipes that use the Amish Bread Starter I posted in the "Breakfast, Deskfast, of just Fast" thread.

Amish Biscuits
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Amish Friendship Starter
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c butter, melted
In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl combine eggs, Amish Starter and oil. Mix well. Add starter to dry ingredients and mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/2 inch thick. Using a 3 inch circle cutter or floured glass cut out biscuits and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Brush top of biscuits with melted butter. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

Amish Cornbread
1 cup Amish Friendship Starter
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
2 t sugar
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c cornmeal
1/4 c vegetable oil
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 9 inch baking pan. In a large mixer bowl combine starter, eggs, milk, sugar, flour and cornmeal. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Mix in oil, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.

Apple Bread
1 1/2 c sugar
3/4 c oil
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
2 t cinnamon
2 eggs
1 c Amish Friendship Starter
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
Beat well on low speed for 2 minutes.
Fold in by hand:
1 c chopped nuts
3 c diced fresh apples
Pour into 2 well greased loaf pans. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes.>>

Beth
01-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Pammy, I'll post the pancake recipe this weekend -- I don't have it handy right now. I don't use an "Amish" starter, but I don't think it would make much difference. Actually, I'm a little surprised by all the different variations. My sister gave me an Amish Friendship Bread recipe that ran i the paper years ago, and I think it has a lot of fruits added to it. That has always been my impression of the Amich Friendship bread, but looks like it has many variations. I'd like to see the one for the Cinnamon Bread.

BTW, I posted the pancake recipe a while back -- you might be able to pull it up on a search if you're in a hurry, but I will check back with it.

pammy
01-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Beth. I think I'm going to try the recipe that Susan posted, just above. The bread (more like cake) tasted great with ff yogurt substituted for the oil, BTW.

Beth
01-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Pammy, here's the one I use for my sourdough starter. You can compare, and if you try both, let us know what you think. I like this recipe because it tastes similar to a buttermilk recipe, but the only fat is the egg yolk. The waffles are another story -- they are an indulgence.

Sourdough Pancakes or Waffles

2 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sourdough starter
2 T sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp water
(For waffles -- 1/2 cup melted butter, can be reduced some but not omitted)

Beat egg yolks with salt until thick. Add the starter and blend well. In another bowl, beat egg whites stiff, gradually adding sugar. Fold whites into starter mixture. Dissolve baking soda in water and stir into batter just before cooking.

For waffles, add melted butter just before baking soda.

We usually halve this recipe for four unless we are really hungry.

This batter should have some body -- like beaten egg whites beffore they stiffen. If it is too thin, add a little flour before folding in the egg whites. I have also thickened with uncooked Malt-O-Meal cereal, which makes great waffles.

Sandy
01-27-2002, 09:36 AM
I remember getting this starter once, and was told to vary the cakes you made with different flavors of instant pudding mix. I tried it with vanilla pudding, which was good and caramel, which was okay. I ended up doing a search online "Amish Friendship Bread" and found lots of information and variations.