PDA

View Full Version : This morning's delight

luv2cook
02-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Talk about a nice way to start your day: The hubby brings me coffee in bed with the newspaper and I have a snuggling pooch on my right, a pooch on my left and a very happy shaved Persian next to my head on his own pillow purring and wanting to be petted (he gets that way after a shave).

How can you have a bad day that starts like this?

Little Bit
02-09-2002, 08:45 AM
The scene you depict sounds wonderfully cozy, and I hope it lasts a wonderfully long time, but I have to ask, why would you need to shave your Persian? (just bathing mine is hard enough!)

luv2cook
02-09-2002, 08:50 AM
Little Bit, I have had Codie since he was 7 weeks old. He's now 9. He has hated to be held or brushed since then. After about 3 years of fighting w/him to brush him and getting bit, I decided to shave him periodically.

This is a cat that HATES his fur. He should have been born a short-haired cat. He has a totally different personality after being shaved - he's lovable, wants to be petted and actually purrs fairly regularly. The groomer this time gave him a pom pom on his tail. It looks pretty cute.

I have to add on top of the way my day started, the weather here is fabulous! I have all of the windows open and the breeze is so refreshing - but i had to be creative in tying up my sheer draperies so they wouldn't take up the whole window and my cats wouldn't play with them...

Nirak
02-09-2002, 02:42 PM
We have a back staircase that goes from our kitchen to our bedroom. We put the coffee on the timer the night before and then DH brings a cup for each of us upstairs in the morning. One of life's little gifts ...

Little Bit
02-09-2002, 07:57 PM
luv2cook,
Thanks for the insights, I'm glad you found a workable solution. We used to shave our collie, since she'd have trouble with the Mississippi heat. The first time she had it done, I didn't recognize her at all ('who's that dog, and where's Missy?) and she actually seemed embarrassed. Once she got over the first traumas of it, she really was more comfy.
My cat lets me bathe and brush and comb him, but sometimes it's a struggle to get his belly groomed properly. He's been letting me dose him with his new medicine, so maybe he's learning to let me just get the unpleasant inevitabilities in his life over with.
We had gorgeous weather here today too, cool and clear and dry. Maybe it'll continue a few more days? We can hope, right?

mb
02-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by luv2cook
How can you have a bad day that starts like this?

as a person who is really afraid of animals, especially dogs and cats, well, i can think of a zillion ways that the situation could go bad!!!!!!!! :( :o ;)

lucky for you, it turned into a cozy morning! glad to hear it!
marisa :)

luv2cook
02-09-2002, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're afraid. Animals can bring such comfort and joy to our lives. I can't imagine not being greeted every time I come home or having a cat in my lap as I read. They give you unconditional love and best of all, they don't talk back!

If you ever come to Houston, you should meet Jake. He could make the devil like him he's so friendly and loving!

mb
02-09-2002, 09:01 PM
thanks for the invite. i'm really just a big wimp. i never had a bad experience, so i'm not sure of the cause of my fear, but it's getting better as i get older. i can actually be in the same room as a pet now!!!! still not a big fan, but i can tolerate 'em. as you can imagine, it's not exactly my dream to be in bed with TWO pets!!!!! :D

luv2cook
02-10-2002, 08:55 AM
Well, Ms. Florida Girl, we're going to have to work on that!:)

Don
02-10-2002, 12:25 PM
I agree that animals do more for us than we imagine. I recently spent 10 days in ICU and 9 more days in the hospital with an antibiotic resistant pneumonia. Unfortunately, my 40th birthday occured while I was in the hospital. Not only did the nursing staff buy me a cake and sing happy birthday, they arranged for one of my corgi dogs, Talbot, to visit me in the hospital. It cheered me up immensely. Especially because I had been told that he was running around the house looking for me, and gave the maid a hard time because he thought she had replaced me. Talbot sat with me for four hours and didn't bark or act up once. Besides, I think I met the entire medical staff on the floor because everyone wanted to meet Talbot. I really believe that seeing Talbot partially accounts for my release two days later. After seeing him, I started walking around the room with a walker (three days earlier I couldn't even stand up) and was much more compliant with my physical therapy exercises. He definitely gave me encouragement to go home. I don't know why hospitals don't make these type of arrangements more often.

luv2cook
02-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Don, I'm glad you're out of the hospital. I agree with you that pets are great therapy. I've been trying to work my dog, Jake, so he could pass therapy dog school. He's so lovable and doesn't scare easy, that I thought he would be great - not to mention he's an attention hound!

Chiffonade
02-10-2002, 04:01 PM
I know exactly how you feel. My husband is one of those people who knows that when a person awakes on a 6 degree Colorado morning, a hotcuppajava is a very welcome "good morning" greeting.

We have a springer spaniel we found running down the highway as a 3 month old puppy. That was 3 years ago...he's become "my" dog. Hubby has a lab (a predecessor to me) who's "his" dog. We have cats as well, some very demanding of their "loves."

He will sometimes whip up breakfast for all of us (13 y/o daughter). I think you don't hear enough about the lucky wives (and husbands) with people like Jerry Springer focusing on all the miserable relationships.