PDA

View Full Version : Outgrowing my love of Chocolate. Is it possible?

funnybone
02-15-2002, 11:23 AM
For Valentine's, I made the Chocolate-Espresso Lava Cakes with Espresso Whipped Cream from February's Bon Appetit and just found them to be too rich and too sweet, I couldn't eat it all. Now, I can't even bear to think of any chocolate dessert. Is it possible that the older I get, the less I am enjoying chocolate desserts? Lately it seems there are things that are just way too sweet for me.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

Here is a picture of what I made.

http://www.epicurious.com/db/recipes/photos/106232.jpg

CHRIST1NE
02-15-2002, 11:27 AM
As I sit here eating my Snickers, I think the answer is no. Wish it was a yes though.

SusanT
02-15-2002, 11:33 AM
More for me!

Seriously, maybe you're losing your taste for rich chocolate desserts. Perhaps your palate has gotten so used to lighter food that rich food doesn't taste good to you?

ebobbitt
02-15-2002, 11:52 AM
If it would only happen to me!

Jewel
02-15-2002, 11:58 AM
Very possible! Tastes change as you get older! When I was a kid I HATED vegetables of all kinds except for corn and potatoes. My 'childhood' lasted until age 32 :D when I finally allowed myself to try these things again and found there are quite a few veggies that I now love! I'm still trying new veggies and still finding some that I like and some that I still don't! DH won't give up, however, until I can eat spinach in something other than a quiche or a chicken/spinach manicotti... :rolleyes:

My father used to tell me when I was young that "Tastes change as you get older, so make sure every few years you try a food that you didn't like before...you might be pleasantly surprised!" Dad was right, because I used to swear that I'd never eat a green bell pepper, and now I love the things! :D

funnybone
02-15-2002, 12:07 PM
I agree that tastes change (I keep telling my kids that one day they will be eating things they think are gross now), but there really isn't anything I don't like to eat.

I don't always eat light foods, but I think the richness of this dessert may have really been it. I will have to wait a few weeks and give another rich (tried and true) chocolate dessert a try. A nice cheescake, perhaps.

jrichards
02-15-2002, 12:10 PM
I think Susan may have a point - as your palate gets adjusted to healthy/lighter food, the richness may be too much. Kind of like people who used to drink regular coke, switched to diets, adn can no longer stomach regular at all (too sweet).

I can't imagine that I'll ever lose my taste for chocolate though. It's my downfall.

BTW - is the picture your actual dessert/house??

Jennifer

funnybone
02-15-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by jrichards

BTW - is the picture your actual dessert/house??

The picture is the one from www.epicurious.com - mine kind of overflowed a bit - lol.

annabanana
02-15-2002, 01:27 PM
When I was younger, I was bewildered when people ate desserts and said, "That's too rich." I never knew such a word.

Recently, I've started saying the same thing.

You aren't alone.

:D

Anne

wallycat
02-15-2002, 01:30 PM
If I could, I'd fling myself onto that screen and lick it clean!!:o :o
Boy that looks good...gotta check out the site for the recipe...:D (guess I still like chocolate :p )

Little Bit
02-15-2002, 02:00 PM
I adore chocolatey goodness in all its' forms, especially warm from the oven!
I'm not one for chocolate/sugar overload, though, and lately, I just don't crave sweet, sweet, sweet things the way I used to. Even soft drinks sometimes seem too syrupy and filling.
I do enjoy chocolate more in contrast to other flavors, for example, I like chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, but not the kind with cocoa in the batter, etc.
Too much chocolate is too much of a good thing. :)

beacooker
02-15-2002, 02:14 PM
I have been feeling the same way about chocolate for the past few years. I do still like chocolate, but recipes for things like chocolate cake with chocolate fudge inside and chocolate frosting and chocolate sauce on top just make me ill to even think about. These days, a little chocolate goes a long way with me, and I would much prefer a fruit-based dessert.

slknight
02-15-2002, 03:13 PM
Wow! These look good. I might try the recipe. Maybe I can halve it so it doesn't make so many. They do seem very rich. I'm not sure I will every outgrow my love of chocolate, but (like Jewel), I am learning to like other healthier things that I didn't previously like. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Peggy
02-17-2002, 10:15 PM
It is very possible. I used to love chocolate before I got pregnant with my daughter. I used to crave the stuff. After DD was born I lost all chocolate cravings and rarely eat it now. In my case, I think I had a hormonal shift or something. Now, my DD LOVES chocolate, so we laugh that I transferred my cravings to her in-utero!!;)

Peggy

crc77
02-18-2002, 05:17 AM
say it ain't so:p

i made the molten chocolate cakes from bon appetite for dessert over thanksgiving weekend and couldn't finish it either. it was so rich and good. i think we just used up our chocolate quota for the week in one dessert! :D

Cheryl

jmarie
02-18-2002, 08:49 PM
POSTED BY WALLYCAT:

If I could, I'd fling myself onto that screen and lick it clean!!

What a hoot!
Art Linkletter had a show once...Do you remember? "Kids Say the Darndest Things" (Am I dating myself ?) ANYWAY, I think Wallycat can say some of the funniest things! :D

About liking chocolate less...I can only say:

[B][COLOR=chocolate]I WISH!!!!!!! [/COLOR} {/B}

Good eats to you all!
jmarie

KimKelly
02-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Let's just hope that it is a case of a bit of chocolate overload.... and hope that for you it will pass! My husband can never handle the rich, chocolaty desserts. Me on the other hand, even at about 90 lbs less than him, I can eat him under the table! (Thanks you Dad for my wonderful metabolism!)

Kim