PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for broiler pan

MusicMom
02-19-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm preparing flank steak for dinner tonight, but can't locate my broiler pan. (I don't even remember the last time I used it!)

Anyway, is it really necessary to use a broiler pan? The steak doesn't look that fatty. I was thinking about putting it in one of my stoneware baking dishes to broil it. Will that work?

If not, I'll drag out the charcoal grill. The temp. shouldn't be too cold for outside cooking today.

lorilei
02-19-2002, 12:17 PM
:) It will work. Honest.

I do not own a broiler pan and have managed to cook many-a flank steak without terrible consequences ensuing.

Your stoneware sounds like a great idea...

MKSquared
02-19-2002, 01:06 PM
If you have high-quality, hard-anodized (no plastic handles!)cookware, you can also pop those into the broiler. I use my Calphalon grill pan all the time in very hot temperatures.

I'm not familiar with stoneware -- can't offer you any opinions on that!

Yummmmm ... flank steak ...

lhall
02-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Mom used to put a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and use that like a broiler pan.

Leigh

MusicMom
02-19-2002, 07:47 PM
I opted for the stoneware and found out the hard way that stoneware breaks when you put it under the broiler.:(
I should have known.

The steak was saved- I finished it on a regular cookie sheet.

Thanks for the advice, anyway!

lorilei
02-20-2002, 07:57 AM
Well, now I feel HORRIBLE. :(

I would never have suggested using your stoneware if I knew that yours wouldn't work under the broiler! Mine is approved for direct temperatures up to 500 F... and I've managed to broil in mine without a problem.

So, I'm sorry.

Well -- I hope that your flank steak turned out delicious, in any case.

MusicMom
02-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Lorilei-

Please don't feel bad. I had pretty much decided to use the stoneware pan, anyway. I collect the Pampered Chef stoneware, so that's all I use nowadays. I was more curious about the meat sitting in the fat than anything else.

It's my fault- I should have checked my instruction sheet.

- Vivian

Karen M
02-20-2002, 04:11 PM
a cast iron skillet would work great too.