PDA

View Full Version : cannellini beans

bh7166
02-23-2002, 02:00 PM
I have a recipe that calls for cannellini beans...I can't find them in my grocery? Do they have another name? Can I make a substitution? White Northern beans?

SusanT
02-23-2002, 02:02 PM
Cannelli are also sometimes called white kidney beans. You can use great northern as a substitution if you still can't find them.

Carolina68
02-23-2002, 02:05 PM
I have always used white northern beans when I make a recipe that calls for cannellini beans.

bh7166
02-23-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks....I will plunge on with this recipe then......:)

Grace
02-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Try looking for them in the Italian section of your grocery store. That's where I found mine. Stupid place though. I think they should be in with all the other canned beans. Who would think to look there ?

SHERRY
02-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Often labeled Garbonzo beans

HRJ
02-24-2002, 02:10 PM
I believe Garbanzo beans are another name for chick peas, not cannellini?

Helene

Curleytop
02-24-2002, 03:05 PM
I second this, GARBANZO = CHICKPEAS!

Chefzhat
02-24-2002, 03:22 PM
FYI I have not been able to find cannellini beans for over a month at any of my grocery stores. Are you all having the same problem? I wonder if there is a problem with this product. I've been very unhappy because I love them and use them in lots of recipes.

Oh, where's the Bean Queen when we need her???

Debie

Melman
02-24-2002, 06:36 PM
I also have a hard time finding cannellini beans. I can find Progresso brand at one of our grocery stores. I haven't been able to find them anywhere else. I don't know if this might help, but I think they're also called white kidney beans.

Another vote for garbanzo = chickpeas.

SusanT
02-24-2002, 06:56 PM
They are a little tricky to find canned but I've been buying dried cannelini beans at the co-op then cooking them in my pressure cooker.

Aspen
02-24-2002, 07:09 PM
Beth,

My grocery store (Albertson's) has them with the other canned beans but they are on the top shelf...not very easy to spot.

Good Luck !

---Aspen

knunes
02-24-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure if the cannelini beans are the same as the northern, but I believe the substitution of any white bean would work fine. If there is a Hispanic section of your grocery store (in mine that's in the "International Food" aisle), the Goya company markets them with the alternate name of "Alubias". I just made for the first time tonight the "Lamb Shanks on Cannelini beans" from the most recent issue of Cooking Light (which was really delicious---I hadn't had lamb shanks before, and the long cooking made them really tender), and it called for either cannelini beans OR any other white bean.

susangibbs
02-25-2002, 05:26 AM
I have never been able to find cannellinis in a can anywhere I've looked. You'd think in Los Angeles I wouldn't constantly be driving from store to store on ingredient safari, but this is my life. I usually sub "small white" beans.

Probably because I can't find them, I imagine them to be much more flavorful than any bean I've ever tasted!

:)

pes
02-25-2002, 10:13 AM
I buy the Progresso kind also. You should ask your grocer if they'll stock them for you. Usually, they're pretty accomodating.

Curleytop
02-25-2002, 12:22 PM
susangibbs: I have seen the beans in Ralphs, Albertsons. and Vons/Pavillions. Go in the bean isle and look. Sometimes they are on the very top shelf, because most people look for baked beans.
I live in Palos Verdes, and I KNOW they have them here.

susangibbs
02-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info Curlytop! I've tries Ralph's and Pavillions but I'll give Albertson's a look. I love this BB!

gertdog
02-25-2002, 01:04 PM
Goya makes cannellini beans. If your grocery store has a mexican or hispanic section, you might find them there. That's where they are in my store.

wonderwoman
02-25-2002, 01:08 PM
I always get mine at Trader Joe's. I think they have stores in S. California, susangibbs.

susangibbs
02-25-2002, 03:19 PM
I haven't looked at TJ's. I never think of them for mundane things. What a great idea. I will check there as well.

wonderwoman
02-25-2002, 04:27 PM
susangibbs, I buy almost all my canned beans at TJ's because they are cheaper than Safeway or Albertson's here. :cool:

Ohioan
02-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
Oh, where's the Bean Queen when we need her???

Debie

Hi, folks. I was just wandering by and couldn't resist the call of a message about beans.

Yes, Great Northern beans will do in a pinch if you can't find the cannellinis. Or try any other white bean that you can find, except navy beans (which are too smoky/sweet) or lima beans (which are too dense/woodsy).

Of course, you can always cook your own instead of relying on the cans....;)

Cheers,
Phoebe

sushibones
02-25-2002, 06:04 PM
Phoebe

How great to see you on the board again!! :)

Maybe we should have been posting more bean questions.

We've missed you. Hope to see you around a little more frequently. Welcome back.

MaryH
02-25-2002, 10:37 PM
Also known as white kidney beans. Check out the following:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/show_document.asp?iDocumentID=814&IBDC=9768