PDA

View Full Version : new countertop advice

KelLeg
03-02-2002, 01:10 PM
We are considering getting rid of our laminate countertops for something "better." Granite seems to be the thing, but someone just told me the other day that she doesn't love her granite countertops b/c when she rolls pie crusts, etc. the flour just doesn't spread right...or something. Plus, can you really put hot pots on it? Can you cut on it?

We have an all-white kitchen with a white tile backsplash. I'm a traditional person and granite can sometimes be more contemporary. I will probably re-wallpaper in a blue/yellow/green color scheme. What do you all think about marble countertops? My MIL and a neighbor both have them. Also, does anyone know about limestone, or lavastone, or concrete? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I have an island, so I could consider two different materials. It is where my stovetop is.

TIA!

funnybone
03-02-2002, 01:19 PM
I've discussed this before - have granite on the island and corian on the counters with a corian sink. I LOVE the grantite, I like the corian. You can set hot stuff on the grantite, with no problems, but I would never cut directly on any counter top, unless it is butcher block specific to cutting on (otherwise it dulls the knives).

If you go to a granite distributor/importer, you will see so much granite out there, in so many shades, etc. I recommend this over chosing it from a "square sample" at a kitchen store.

As for rolling out pie dough, I don't make too many, and I roll mine out between plastic wrap, as I have seen Martha do, and it never sticks to anything this way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "marble contertops". As for the other materials, I have no experience with them, so I can't help you there.

KelLeg
03-02-2002, 01:33 PM
Funnybone, thanks for your advice. I agree that I need to go to a distributor and not pick from a swatch. When I say marble, I mean marble like you see on floors or around fireplaces. It is s'posed to be the best for rolling out pastry. I don't make a ton of pies, but I make homemade pizza crust a lot.

funnybone
03-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Of course that kind of marble - lol! I didn't even think of it as I have been told it is very pourous and stains easily. Now, if you have an area dedicated to baking, then you could use it there. We have it around our fireplace, and it is okay there.

karen w
03-02-2002, 08:35 PM
I love love love my granite countertops. I never even think twice about putting hot pots on the granite. I am, however, careful about pyrex. My fear is the glass may break as the hot dish hits the cold countertop. I also roll dough on it quite a bit, and have never had a problem. Lately, to ease cleanup I have been rolling out doughs on an extra large silpat from KA flour instead of directly on the granite. And the knives will not hurt the granite, BUT the granite will dull the knives so I try to avoid doing this!

AnnaC
03-02-2002, 09:57 PM
I too loved the granite I had in my beautiful home that we just sold-so I miss it terribly now that we' re temporarily living w/ my parents. I rolled dough on it- no prob; I always put hot pots on it- no problem. And the beauty of it is that it comes in so many patterns that you can achieve any look you desire. Our kitchen had a honey/cider finish and the granite we chose made it look so warm and homey!
Most granite distributers will make you loook at the actual slab your counterrop will be cut out from- ours also showed us what part of the slab would be going to which part of the counter- its a natural substance-so there are irregularities.
Good luck!