PDA

View Full Version : chocoholic needs help!!!

gltrgrl1
03-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Before I had my daughter I did not like chocolate. But now I can't get enough. I buy a bag of minitures with the intentions of eating just one when I get home from work- this is when my craving hits hardest. But I can never eat just one. I end up eating half of the bag. I've tried having my husband hide the bag and leave one on the counter everyday, but once I get that wonderful taste I want more and will search the house for the rest of them. I work out regularly and eat healthy but then I blow all my hard work by going chocalate crazy. Please help! Any suggestions?

Little Bit
03-04-2002, 11:27 AM
I remember reading somewhere once, that our cravings are our bodies' way of trying to make up some sort of nutritional deficit.

For example, I recently read that craving salty snacks can mean that you really ought to reach for some calcium, in some form or other.

I'm not sure if any of this is true, but found myself craving chocolate less after I'd been taking a multivitamin for a while.

funnybone
03-04-2002, 12:00 PM
It's funny because I am feeling the opposite - I am NOT enjoying chocolate as much as before. I still like a great piece of chocolate, but rich chocolate desserts have really not sat well lately.

However, there is good news for you. I recently saw something on TV where they say that eating chocolate sends a chemical to your brain that makes you feel the same as "when you are in love".

Also it is not bad for your health, in moderation.

gertdog
03-04-2002, 12:09 PM
I am a fellow chocoholic. Instead of trying to avoid chocolate, I have tried to find ways to indulge that do not sabotage my weight loss efforts.

A few things that satisfy me:

Lindt Excellence dark chocolate... just a few squares do the trick

Jello Fat Free Devil's Food Pudding cups

Ben and Jerry's Devil's Food sorbet (hard to find lately, though)

And the best thing I've found, because I can keep it in my purse/desk and nip a craving in the bud, are Varlhona Caraibe Perles. They're great quality dark chocolate beads that come in a little round tin. The tin has a shaker top that dispenses just a few beads at a time. You can find them at http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/valrhona.html. They are expensive, but one tin lasts me a long time. And one "serving" (e.g. two-three beads) is technically 0 WW points (although if you ate the whole tin it'd be another story).

Elisabeth
03-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Here's my suggestion: buy the most expensive European (preferably Belgian or French or Swiss) chocolate you can. First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if Hershey's puts something addictive in their candies, because I can keep eating and eating and eating and eating. In any case, if it's chocolate you're craving, American chocolate is really adulterated. (Is that the right word? I mean it's diluted with non-chocolate ingredients, compared to European chocolate. This was actually controversial in Europe, or has been, with the European Union, because countries like Belgium and France didn't want to lower their chocolate standards to, say, Great Britain's standard, which is much lower apparently). When I buy really nice Belgian chocolate, one piece is really satisfying. I like to think because it's fresher, less mass-produced, more natural. But it's probably because, percentage-wise, there's a whole lot more chocolate in it! So I would quit buying the brands you know you overdose on (alas, this is what I'm about to have to start doing with my new Ben & Jerry's find, Peanut Butter Truffle), and start experimenting with different kinds until you find something that works.

The solution definitely isn't to give up chocolate! It's to find the chocolate that works for you!!

tanastaplo
03-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Like Little Bit, I've heard that cravings signify that your body wants something and I THINK I have heard that a craving for sweets generally can be the result of not getting enough protein. You might try having a glass of water and a small handful of nuts or some string cheese or a hard boiled egg or something about an hour before you get home and usually have those cravings, to see if that helps at all.

But if you try that and you still want chocolate, I highly recommend See's Candies Chocolate Lollipops. If you don't have a See Candies store around you, then you can order them on line at seescandies.com. I know, you're probably thinking a stupid lollipop can't possibly satisfy your chocolate craving, but I PROMISE they are very delicious and chocolate-y and they last a LONG time. They are huge and seem awkward in your mouth at first, but you get used to it, and I bet by the time you're halfway through your first lollipop, you'll be convert. (For any Weight Watchers out there, See's chocolate lollipops are 2 points each.)

Teddy

Jewel
03-04-2002, 02:02 PM
I second the fat free pudding cup idea! I love those little guys! :D I'm not usually much into pudding, but when I need a chocolate fix it's rich, creamy, and full of flavor! It's also portion controlled which is perfect for me. ;)

MrsReber
03-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Back when I was trying to lose weight, I eliminated a lot of sweets from my diet. It took a couple of weeks to get over the craving, but I found that I didn't miss sweet things at all and I was satisfied with much healthier foods like soups and salads. I also felt so much better. You say this started after you had your daughter- did you crave chocolate while you were pregnant? I can't have too much caffeine so I have to limit my chocolate intake anyway. It actually helped me to have a medical condition (mitral valve prolapse) that kept me from eating too much chocolate!