PDA

View Full Version : A great rice book for rice cookers...

stieglitzcat
03-22-2002, 06:32 AM
After my cheapo rice cooker bit the dust - I made the plunge and bought a Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker this week. It's here! In the meantime I found a cookbook that is going to be a perfect partner "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" - I've been reading it like a novel...it has 250 no-fail recipes for Pilafs, Risotto, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More...from Start to finish in your Rice Cooker. You don't need to have a fancy rice cooker for them to work, either. I'm just excited about it...and had to share. I knew people here would understand - sometimes other people just look at me weird when I tell them I'm excited about a cookbook and kitchen appliance - go figure!

valchemist
03-22-2002, 12:16 PM
oh boy! another cookbook.

I just bought this on Amazon. Thanks for pointing it out, s-cat.

I have a fuzzy logic rice cooker too, and I only use it for plain rice. never knew how to use it for anything else. By getting this book, I hope to get more use out of this appliance. and if I can do that, it will be money well spent!

can't wait to try it out. please let us know if you try any recipes! I will do the same.

val

beacooker
03-22-2002, 12:28 PM
I just looked online, and my library has this book. I requested home delivery of it - so now I get to try this cookbook out, without buying. Hopefully I'll finally get some good use out of my rice cooker!

andrea
03-22-2002, 04:52 PM
wow! i am intrigued! i love my rice cooker but it'd be great to use it for more than plain rice...

good idea about the library, beacooker!

s-cat... what's up with this weather??? i'm ready for spring!!!

stieglitzcat
03-23-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm glad you guys found my post to be helpful!
Last night I made Vintner's Rice - it is made with broth, wine and lemon slices and a bay leaf and I used jasmine rice. Very good...it was my rice cooker's maiden voyage. I love it!
Tonight I'm having a snall dinner party - I may try a rissoto...I'm a bit scared, though. :)
And yes - Andrea...what is up with the weather?? At least the sun is out this morning - maybe spring is here. It's good to see another KCian (ok, not really a word...) on the board.

valchemist
03-23-2002, 07:53 AM
thanks for the review! please let us know if you try the risotto or any other recipe tonight...

can't wait to get my book and try a few recipes out. I will post my reviews here too.

stieglitzcat
03-29-2002, 06:56 AM
Hello again...an update!
I ended up making a double batch of the lemon rice for my dinner party on Saturday - it was a smashing hit! Big rice eaters in the bunch - not much was left. It was only myself and my boyfriend and another couple...
Last night I made the prawn risotto. It's been a long time since I've made rissotto on the stove - so, I don't know that I'm a good judge. When I put in the shrimp after 20 minutes, there was still A LOT of liquid in the cooker. I didn't check it again for about 15 minutes, but I wonder if it was finished before that. The aborio seemed a bit beyond al dente - not far, but a bit. I'll definately try again, but was glad I didn't risk it with a dinner party! It needs some tinkering on my part...
Has your book arrived yet?

valchemist
03-29-2002, 07:07 AM
my book arrived yesterday evening!!

with a new baby, I haven't had a chance to peruse it. but I am thinking I will be doing the "cookbook challenge" (see recent thread) and this cookbook is a good place to start!

thanks for the review, s-cat.

val

valchemist
04-03-2002, 08:08 PM
I made my first recipe from this great cookbook and it was excellent. I will post the recipe below. I followed it almost exactly, but I left out the garnish and condiments and I used Jasmati rice instead of Thai Jasmine rice. It was so easy to make and the combination of flavors was great. I have had peanut sauce with noodles plenty of times, but the combination of the peanut sauce with the rice, chicken and peas was a new twist. My husband loved the recipe too. Can't wait to try more recipes from this book!

Val

* Exported from MasterCook *

Indonesian Rice Bowl

From one of the Bay Area's favorite food writers, backyard gardeners, and seed purveyors, Renee Shepherd, comes this satisfying one-dish meal adapted from her book "Recipes From a Kitchen Garden." This is a great recipe to use up leftover chicken. The popular peanut sauce is one of the definitive tastes of the Southeast Asian and Thai cuisines. This simplified version of the "rijsttafel" table, a popular full-rice meal in Indonesia, looks incredibly festive served with all the condiments.

This recipe can be made in a regular on/off rice cooker or a fuzzy logic rice cooker. It is meant to be made in a medium sized (6 cup or so) rice cooker.

Recipe By :Beth Hensperger
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Rice:
1 c Thai jasmine rice
1 c plus two tablespoons water
2 1/2 c fresh or frozen petite peas
1 lb shredded poached chicken breast -- (2 1/2 cups)
1/2 c hot chicken stock
Sauce:
1/3 c creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsps rice vinegar
2 tsps grated ginger root
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sugar
1 clove garlic
2 green onions -- white parts only, minced. (chop the green tops for garnish and reserve)
1/2 c chopped roassted peanuts -- optional, for garnish
condiments -- see directions

Make the rice: Rinse the rice. Coat the rice cooker bowl with nonstick spray or a film of vegetable oil (this step is optional). Place the rice in the bowl. Add the water; swirl to combine. Close the cover and set for the regular cycle.

Make the sauce: Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium-sized sauce pan. Cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until the mixture achieves a saucelike consistency. Cover and keep warm.

When the machine switches to the "keep warm" cycle, sprinkle the peas and chicken on top of the rice. Close the cover and let the rice steam for 20 minutes.

Transfer the rice mixture to a warmed serving platter with sloped sides. Pour the hot stock and peanut sauce over the rice. Stir gently to combine the peas and chicken with the sauce and stock. Sprinkle with green onion tops and peanuts. Serve immediately with a choice of condiments.

Condiments: Serve with separate small bowls of chutney, sliced bananas, raisins, unsweetened coconut, minced fresh cilantro leaves, mandarin orange segments, chopped apples, plain yogurt.

Source:
"The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 479 Calories; 13g Fat (23.9% calories from fat); 36g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 327mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

slknight
04-04-2002, 07:26 AM
Thanks so much for posting about this book. And thanks to Val for posting that recipe. We just got a rice cooker and I was wondering what else I could do with it besides make plain rice. I've been trying to cut back on the cookbook purchasing, but it looks like I might need this one.;)

Kelli Kerrigan
04-04-2002, 07:38 AM
ok, I admit that I do not know one thing about rice cookers. I've never had a problem making rice on the stove or a risotto in my pressure cooker, but you have me wondering what a rice cooker does that I don't.
And if someone can shed some light on what 'fuzzy logic' means that would be most helpful to me. Fuzzy logic sounds like what I have every morning when I decide to take a shower. (Before my morning coffee)

CindyWeightWatcher
04-04-2002, 08:19 PM
This rice cooker does sound interesting. Can it also
make small amounts of rice, the same amount as
in a small box of rice or is it better for larger amounts?

maccmedia
04-05-2002, 07:32 AM
Hey Cindy - you can use a rice cooker to cook whatever amount you want. Mine is big - remember I brought it to Vermont and made the spicy mexican rice and beans? We cook our whole dinner in it a lot and then have leftovers for the next day. The thing I like about it the most is that it cooks everything and then turns off the cooking element and shifts to a warming mode so it stays warm till you are ready to eat. Great feature for a party too!

CindyWeightWatcher
04-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi, yes I do remember the wonderful rice dish you made,
that is the first time I've seen a rice cooker! I just wanted
sure they could be used to do small amounts. Now I know!