PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the lemon rind off a lemon??

LaceysMom
03-25-2002, 06:02 PM
The lemonade cake recipe calls for grated lemon rind. How in the world do you get the rind off the lemon?? I used a carrot peeler and then chopped the pieces into tiny pieces. It turned out fine but wondered what the tool was used to grate a lemon?

ebobbitt
03-25-2002, 06:06 PM
I have a tool called a "zester" that will "peel" the yellow part off in really skinny strips.

Gwendolyn
03-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Oh, I thought that "lemon rind" just meant lemon zest. I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks for pointing that out since I'm planning to make this recipe soon.

Those of you who have made the cake, did you use lemon rind or zest?

lisas3575
03-25-2002, 06:09 PM
this is the most awesome thing... I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy it sooner.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004S7V8.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

And the link to buy it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/kitchen/B00004S7V8/qid=1017105029/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-8347609-1900012

emily
03-25-2002, 06:13 PM
alright, obviously, i've been working for way to long. but really, my microplane tools are the best things in my kitchen. you really do end up with a light, fluffy, DRY pile of zest. I also have one of the slicers that I haven't figured out as many uses for, but oh that zester.

Gail
03-25-2002, 06:41 PM
I point at the lemon and say:

Lemon, The Goddess commands you to shed your rind.

...failing that, I use a microplane. :p

ClaraB
03-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Lemon rind and lemon zest are the same thing. If I'm making a recipe that calls for visible pieces of rind (such as a garnish), then I'll use the zester, but for larger quantities or when appearance doesn't matter, I use the fine grating side of my grater box. Works great!

MKSquared
03-25-2002, 08:27 PM
I, being pretty poor, use the same hand-held grater that I grate my cheese and my nutmeg with. :) It's the poor girl's Microplane. I also have a zester, but it leaves the zest in long strands that, although quite pretty, are unpleasant to get in a mouthful of frosting. Bleccch.

Linda in MO
03-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Microplane Zesters rule!! :cool: :D

LaraW
03-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Don't feel bad, MKSquared. I use my cheese grater too.

Oh, those of us who are Microplane deprived :(

sushibones
03-25-2002, 09:03 PM
:D Gail :D

It must be time for the sillies. I was going to post

"Ask politely?" :p

I also use my box grater, but lust after a microplane. So when we go to SurLaTable, you'll show me the one I should getóright, emily?

Ganache
03-26-2002, 12:29 AM
Here's my favorite place in Canada to shop for tools & gadgets. They have nifty gardening stuff, cabinetry knobs & handles and a few kitchen items:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=30285&category=1,42524&ccurrency=2&SID=

This link will take you to where the rasp (rigid) is found. :)

Janeway45242
03-26-2002, 01:00 AM
Now I'm wanting a microplane. Does anyone have recommendations for the best, and economical?

valchemist
03-26-2002, 03:55 AM
I highly recommend the microplane too. It is sooo much better and easier than the box graters. I never knew how big a difference it would make until I tried it the first time -- wow!

Janeway, I have one similar (if not the same as) the one in the link that Lisa posted. The microplanes come in different sizes -- I have a mid-sized one (good for zesting citrus fruits).

val

Janeway45242
03-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Ohhhhh...I've got a Microplane zester thingy like the one in the picture. You know, I started thinking of the mandoline and just got them mixed up. Yes, the Microplane was definitely highly recommended and also by Sara Moultin no less. I'm really happy with it. Speaking of mandlines, anyone have any pros and cons?

Ralph
03-26-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by ClaraB
I use the fine grating side of my grater box. Works great!

I don't have a microplane (yet); I usually just use a hand-held Oxo zester.

But, since you mentioned the box grater, Clara, I'll mention that Alton Brown recently talked about it on a recent show. He said that of course the zest always gets stuck in the little holes. His recommendation: Wrap the grater with plastic wrap (such as Saran), grate the lemon, then remove the plastic which will have most of the zest & you won't have to fight with those little holes! Pretty clever.

Gracie
03-26-2002, 10:25 AM
Hi Ralph -

I'm not envisioning the Alton Brown tip just right. If you wrap your grater box with plastic wrap (around the outside?? ) and then grate the lemon, won't you get lots of little pieces of plastic wrap in your zest? If you wrap it on the inside, it doesn't do you much good since the zest will still get stuck in the holes.
:( I guess I just need some fresh air (too much time at my desk! :rolleyes: )

Thanks, Loren

Ralph
03-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Loren,

I, too, thought of that, but he sure seemed to be able to make it work. I think that kind of goofiness is what I like about him!

I must make a confession, though. I thought his trick used lemon; it doesn't!:o In looking up the transcript of that show (http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season5/SquashTranscript.htm), he actually used that trick for ginger. OOPS!!! Here's the exact quote:

"you're probably going to have to use a box grater. And as we all know, well, it's hard to get the ginger in the soup when you can't get it off the grater. Of course if you had wrapped your grater in two layers of plastic wrap nice and tight, you'd be able to, uh, do this. Now, of course the trick here is to only do this on the small perforated side or what some folks call the "star" cut side with the metal punches outward. If you tried to do this on the regular grating side, you're going to end up with pieces of plastic in your ginger. But this way, you come off completely clean and you probably won't even have to wash the grater."

But, I don't see why it wouldn't work for lemon, too. Nonetheless, I'll take the deserved egg on my face!

claire797
03-26-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Ralph

I don't have a microplane (yet); I usually just use a hand-held Oxo zester.

Ralph! Go get one. You will love it.

It's even better than the garlic peel remover mat thing-y.

dcornelius
03-26-2002, 11:19 AM
Considering the fact that I don't use that much lemon zest in my every day life I have not been able to justify a special tool just for lemon zesting so I use my grater box and it works great.
Although I must point out that about two or three months ago I found a way to justify buying a kitchen scale that I will probably only use two to three times a year so the chances of me getting said zesting tool grow greater with time:D

Searcher
03-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Janeway,
My daughter bought me a Japanese Mandolin for Christmas. I'd really prefer the Bron but it's usually between $149 and $169 depending on where you shop. It has more blades and will stand by itself.
The Japanese works great though. I made CL's Spanish Tortilla about a week ago and it sliced all the potatos and onions (which I had to cut in half) in about 2 minutes flat. The hand guard isn't as easy to work as the more expensive models and I can cut slices pretty evenly but this was easy. I think I'll find more and more uses for it.

DSH
03-26-2002, 11:44 AM
I use a Pampered Chef zester and then mince the strips. When I use a box grater I always seem to get some of the pith in there along with the good stuff. And is there a difference between lemon zest and lemon rind?

carolyn.1
03-26-2002, 01:10 PM
thanks alot Lisas3575:( ...just kidding, well...another gadget to clutter my kitchen.

Actually, I really needed one, Saturday I made the butter crunch lemon cheese bars and had the hardest time picking those little pieces of lemon zest out of those tiny holes ;)

Thanks Lisa for the site, I shopped at BB&beyond Amazon beat them hands down.

carolyn

slknight
03-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Or you could be like me and not make any recipes that call for lemon rind or lemon zest because I don't know how to do it.:o :confused: :o

I learn something new on this BB every day. And I think I just bought a Pampered Chef zester. I'll have to pull it out and see how it works.

lorilei
03-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Alright. I've got to put my nose in here :)

There does happen to be a difference between lemon rind and lemon zest. And it has always been one of my peeves about authors of recipes when they don't properly differentiate.

There is actually a distinction between the oily and flavorful colored layer (the zest) and the entire rind or peel (which includes the bitter-tasting pith).

It's a matter of semantics, but sometimes it makes a difference in a recipe... ever try making candied lemon rind/peel with lemon zest? Not an easy (or particularly tasty) task...

Jewel
03-26-2002, 03:41 PM
I finally broke down and bought a microplane grater when Sandy and I were in Minneapolis last fall, and I love it! :) I honestly wasn't sure I could justify the $17 for one, but I find I use it pretty consistently! My old zester is laying in a drawer unused, and I tossed my porcelain ginger grater since the Microplane does such a fabulous job on Ginger too! :D

mb
03-26-2002, 07:08 PM
i bought lemon peel from penzeys...just rehydrate a little in some water and let it sit a few minutes...and VOILA - instant lemon zest!

(of course, i only do this because i don't have a microplane :o )

marisa :)