PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Best Recipe from the back of....

greysangel
03-26-2002, 01:06 PM
a box, can or package!

I thought this would kind of make a cool thread. So how about it? What have you tried from the back of ingredients you buy?

Of course I have to come back to mine as I don't have the recipes in front of me :D

Off the top of my head, I can think of two: Nestle toll house cookies and Portobello Lasagna from the back of a box of Ronzoni Pasta.

JeAnne

lisas3575
03-26-2002, 01:12 PM
How about the world-famous green bean casserole from the back of the French's Onion can?? :D I was about 20 years old when I figured out that wasn't a secret family recipe. :p

There's actually a cookbook about this very subject, my SIL has it. I did a search at Amazon and couldn't come up with it... I'll ask her for the title.

Sami
03-26-2002, 01:15 PM
How about oatmeal cookies from the Quaker Oats box, cheescake from the Philadelphia cream cheese box, and cakes from the inside cover of Land o Lakes butter.

Sami

Peggy C.
03-26-2002, 01:16 PM
is from a box of fresh pasta that begins with a "D".... not it's not a puzzle I can't think of the namebrand. Thanks alot JeAnne, I won't beable to sleep til I figure this out.:o

lhall
03-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I've also made the recipe on the back of the Mullers Mosticalli (sp?) something involving tomatos and peppers, it was good.

Leigh

JackieO
03-26-2002, 01:22 PM
My favorite recipe is for onion burgers on the back of Campbells French Onion soup. I "lighten" it up by using ground turkey instead of beef and reduced-fat Provolone slices. Just brown the turkey patties, pour in the onion soup, put a lid on the pan and simmer until the burgers are done. Top each with a half slice of Provolone and heat until melted. Place the burgers on whole wheat rolls with tomato and lettuce, serve the leftover soup as dipping sauce. Other than the sodium, it's a healthful alternative to a traditional cheeseburger.

tracey67
03-26-2002, 01:26 PM
This is my ALL-TIME favorite recipe from the back of a package. I found it many years ago on the back of a Butterscotch Morsels package. It's completely NOT light, but it is absolutely delicious. Here it is:

Butterscotch Apple Pecan Crisp

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 pounds apples -- peeled & chopped
12 oz. pkg. butterscotch morsels
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 C. flour
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. butter
1 C. pecans -- chopped
3/4 C. quick oats

Preheat oven to 375. Place apples in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In small bowl combine butterscotch morsels, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.

TOPPING: In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar, cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans and oats; sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until apples are tender.

Tracey

donleyk
03-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Barley soup recipe on the side of Quaker's quick barley. We do kick it up a notch, tho'.

JennieL
03-26-2002, 01:38 PM
White Chocolate Fudge, from the white chocolate chip bag. I can't remember the brand, but I can post it later if anyone is intrested.

tbear1923
03-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Velvet crumb cake from the back of bisquick (I think or flaked coconut package) is sinfully good.;)

Jewel
03-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Those Cream Cheese Bar Cookies I asked for help with a few weeks ago were from a Bisquick box! :p And for some reason, my DH is crazy about that Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie! :rolleyes:

RD chef
03-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Rice Krispie Treats! May not be the best one, but definately the easiest!;)

Gina O
03-26-2002, 02:05 PM
The bran muffins from the box of Kellog's All Bran cereal. These are my all time favorite bran muffins! Gina

Gwendolyn
03-26-2002, 02:05 PM
I love the brownie recipe that used to be on the box of Hershey's Cocoa (it may still be there). I frost the brownies with Nutella! Yummy!

lisas3575
03-26-2002, 02:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0883657376/qid=1017176762/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_3_1/002-8347609-1900012

Barrie
03-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Gina O
The bran muffins from the box of Kellog's All Bran cereal. These are my all time favorite bran muffins! Gina

Wow! I have a box of All Bran at home right now. I'll definitely have to make those next week after Passover. I just have to add this little tidbit about All Bran. I had a bowl of it for breakfast one day last week - one cup of All Bran (20 grams of fiber) and one cup of skim milk (4 pts) - at 7:30 a.m. I never ate lunch, and I wasn't hungry till dinner. The amazing thing was that I continued to feel more full as the day progressed! Powerful stuff, that All Bran!

My favorite lasagna recipe is the one on the Creamette's lasagna box. I haven't made it in ages, but just thinking about it is making me hungry for lasagna. Yum.

BlueMoose
03-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Rice Krispies Treats, Golden Grahams S'mores Bars, Eagle Magic Cookies Bars, Fudge from the Kraft marshmallow cream jar, Tollhouse Cookies.....

gee, I seem to see a pattern emerging here!:o

BlueMoose
03-26-2002, 03:02 PM
BTW, Tracey, that recipe sounds absolutely to die for! But I'm afraid to make it out of fear I would eat it all myself!:o ;)

kwormann
03-26-2002, 03:03 PM
My mom used to make Sausage Balls from the back of the Bisquick box. I had them EVERY year for my birthday!

Peeps
03-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Hands down for me would be the Chocolate Pudding Cake recipe I got off a bag of generic sugar!! It's similar to the many pudding cakes CL has done but I think this one is better than all of them - and it just happens to be pretty light on its own anyway. Takes about 3 minutes to make and is such a treat. I'll always be happy I bought that bag of generic sugar...

greysangel
03-26-2002, 03:24 PM
ok peeps...cough it up!

JeAnne

Meg O'C
03-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies (I can't make any other kind of chocolate chip cookies - they just don't compare) are definitely my favorite but here are some others:

*Growing up we always used the Bisquick recipe for pancakes and for homemade biscuits. About two years ago on a group vacation someone used Aunt Jemima mix for the pancakes and now I use that every time - they taste so much lighter than the Bisquick version I ate for the first 28 years of my life! I don't know why I didn't try it sooner.

*Recipe for meatloaf off of the Lipton Onion Soup mix.

*Spinach dip in bread off of the Knorr soup mix.

LaraW
03-26-2002, 03:34 PM
I like the Oatmeal Cookie recipe on the box of oatmeal. They are the only ones I make!

valchemist
03-26-2002, 03:41 PM
tracey and chrisi,

that yummy Butterscotch Apple Pecan Crisp recipe isn't all that bad when it comes to nutrition...here are the numbers assuming 12 servings:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 328 Calories; 12g Fat (30.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 57g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 54mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

I will definitely be making this recipe one of these days. thanks for posting it, tracey!

val

greysangel
03-26-2002, 03:46 PM
yumyum!

Thanks valchemist for entering those values in!

Melman
03-26-2002, 04:51 PM
My favorite 'back of the bag' recipe is the one for M&M cookies. I have no idea how old the EMPTY M&M bag is that I keep in my recipe collection. I've had it for years!!!

AmyBeth73
03-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Old Fashioned Fudge on the Fluff container! Not light, but quite addictive.

My aunt talks constantly about a rich chocolate cake with cherries in it that she used to make off a Duncan Hines box (like 20 years ago). She said she never cut it out because she always thought it would be there. Shame, shame! Anyway, she's been in pursuit of it ever since -- checked their Web site and even called the company, and no one recalls the cake. Anyone out there have any ideas? If I ever found the recipe I'd make it for her birthday as a surprise.

emily
03-26-2002, 05:11 PM
There's a recipe from the back of Campbell's cream of mushroom calling for the soup, chicken, broccolli and linguine. Yum.

The pudding chocolate chip cookies I make came from my mom who got them off of the back of an instant pudding box. That's all Ashish ever asks for whenever I ask him what he wants for (Christmas, birthday, etc)

Great thread, JeAnne.

Donna P
03-26-2002, 05:20 PM
The dumplings from the back of the cream of wheat box. Can't have chicken soup without them.

Linda in MO
03-26-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by AmyBeth73
Old Fashioned Fudge on the Fluff container! Not light, but quite addictive.

My aunt talks constantly about a rich chocolate cake with cherries in it that she used to make off a Duncan Hines box (like 20 years ago). She said she never cut it out because she always thought it would be there. Shame, shame! Anyway, she's been in pursuit of it ever since -- checked their Web site and even called the company, and no one recalls the cake. Anyone out there have any ideas? If I ever found the recipe I'd make it for her birthday as a surprise.

I have no idea if this is the recipe you're looking for, but I've made it before and it was good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Cherry Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cake or Pie Dessert

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
Frosting:
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk choc.)

Beat together cake mix, pie filling, flavoring, and eggs with electric mixer until very well mixed.

Pour into a greased 13"x9" pan and bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes. Touch lightly in center to test for doneness.

For frosting, boil together for one minute the sugar, butter, and milk. Stir in chocolate chips. Frost cake when partially cooled.

slknight
03-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by BlueMoose
... Golden Grahams S'mores Bars.....

gee, I seem to see a pattern emerging here!:o

Oh, I had forgotten about those. Man, are they good!:D

pilgrim719
03-26-2002, 09:30 PM
What a fun thread!

My favorites are Tollhouse cookies, Bisquick chicken pot pie (so easy to throw together in a hurry!), Rice Krispie Treats, Crispix Sweet Minglers, Chex party mix, Campbell's Foolproof Beef and Broccoli, and the Keebler Ready Crust Chocolate Banana Cream Pie. Actually, I'm a big fan of most of the Ready Crust pie and cheesecake recipes. They're quick and easy and very yummy!!

Kari

Tiger
03-27-2002, 03:19 AM
JeAnne- Fun thread!

Mine would have to be white pizza dip from the Lipton garlic and herb dry soup mix.

AmyBeth73
03-27-2002, 03:21 AM
Linda in MO -- Thanks for the chocolate cherry cake recipe; I'll give it a whirl!

:)

JKS
03-27-2002, 03:44 AM
From the back of the Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix box! In college, my friends and I would put this in a bread bowl, then devour the whole thing. Now, when I take it to parties, the dip and the bread cubes go, but no one is so uncivilized as to rip into the bowl. I always try to find a way to take it home, so I can be uncivilized there!!:D

Gracie
03-27-2002, 06:08 AM
Hey everyone -

How about this wonderful website?

www.backofthebox.com (http://)

Loren

Peggy C.
03-27-2002, 06:16 AM
Amy Beth, DH='s mom used to make something like that called a black forest cake, I'm sure it was off of a box of DH or similar product. I'll check with DH= for specifics and get back to you, I'm sure it is different than the one listed because the cherries went on top. Finding the recipe might be some work as his mother passed away a couple of years ago, but I'm sure it is still in his brothers house. (and I'm DH= and BIL= would love if I made it for them!:D )

greta
03-27-2002, 06:43 AM
ok, this may not be as SCRUMPTIOUS as all the sweets listed...but it's a YUMMY salad. the couscous salad on the near east couscous box...it has tomatoes, cucumbers, etc...

JHolcomb
03-27-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by emily
There's a recipe from the back of Campbell's cream of mushroom calling for the soup, chicken, broccolli and linguine. Yum.

The pudding chocolate chip cookies I make came from my mom who got them off of the back of an instant pudding box. That's all Ashish ever asks for whenever I ask him what he wants for (Christmas, birthday, etc)

Great thread, JeAnne.

Emily-

Are those the chocolate chip cookies that are from the box of Jello instant vanilla pudding? If so, could you pretty please post it? My grandma makes those and I love them, but I've lost the recipe. And this is too funny---I haven't had them in about 2 years, but last night I had a dream that my grandma gave me two huge ziplock bags full of them :D

bookworm
03-27-2002, 07:03 AM
I like the chili recipe on the back of the Campbell's tomato juice container.

Lisa

SuzyQuzy
03-27-2002, 08:13 AM
I love the cornbread from the back of the cornmeal bag...can't remember which brand though!

For frostings I always use the chocolate on the back of the Hershey's cocoa and the buttercream on the back of the Dominos powdered sugar box. Oh, and the best hot chocolate is from the back of Hershey's cocoa, too...except they changed the recipe recently...luckily I saved the label off my old one!

I always look for recipes on the things I buy...I end up with cans with no labels and boxes torn apart. Its like a treat to find one hidden somewhere. (Ok, I'm addidicted to reading recipes). :rolleyes:

lweiss
03-27-2002, 08:16 AM
The cranberry sauce from the cranberry bag. YUM!!

DmOrtega
03-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Gracie
Hey everyone -

How about this wonderful website?

www.backofthebox.com (http://)

Loren

This link isn't working for me. Can you please check it again? TIA.

Gracie
03-27-2002, 09:44 AM
you're right it doesn't. It is a viable website, though, I checked before I posted the link (and pretty cool too!).

let me try again.

http://www.backofthebox.com

Hopefully this works.

Loren

Gracie
03-27-2002, 09:46 AM
that doesn't work either. But if you go into your browser and type it in, it works fine. They have tons of categories of recipes.

Sorry - I'm BB-technically-challenged today!:rolleyes:

Loren

stomkow
03-27-2002, 09:54 AM
the chocolate chip cookies on the back of the Butter Flavored Crisco

they kick butt - don't ever need to try another recipe!

Pat
03-27-2002, 10:01 AM
My favorite recipe from a package would have to be the waffle recipe from Bob's Red Mill Buttermilk and Pancake Waffle Mix. I make it Bob's way and they are delicious. Another favorite is from Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal for the Bran Flaxseed Muffins. No, I do not work for Bob's nor do I know anyone who does since I live in KY and Bob's is in the NW. I just really like the products.

MrsReber
03-27-2002, 10:12 AM
My favorite is the deli macaroni salad on the back of the Ronzoni elbow box! It's even made with nonfat or low fat yogurt! DH loves it, too.

DH bought me that cookbook with all the recipes from the packages. It's come in handy a few times, although the recipes aren't all that light!

rosen
03-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Chicken gravy from the lable of a Campbells chicken broth can. I could/can NEVER make good gravy the traditional way. This one is FOOL-proof! Ditto the Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry from the Beef Broth can. I use a lower sodium version of each when I make either recipe.

Molli526
03-27-2002, 10:52 AM
Baked Macaroni and Cheese from the back of the Mueller's Elbow box. Yummy comfort food!

Luckyfeather
03-27-2002, 02:53 PM
What a cool website. Thanks for posting! I've added it to my "favorites" list.

JenZen
03-27-2002, 03:06 PM
The cookie recipe on the back of the Craisin package. Oh my yumminess!

Melman
03-27-2002, 07:54 PM
JHolcomb - is this the choco-chip cookie pudding recipe you're missing?? It has a date on it from 1982:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter or magarine, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg (4-serving size) JELL-O Brand Vanilla Flavor INSTANT
Pudding and Pie Filling
2 eggs
1 pkg (12 oz.) chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix flour with baking soda. Combine butter, the sugars, vanilla and pudding mix in large mixer bowl; beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture; then stir in chips and nuts. Batter will be stiff. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Makes about 7 dozen. *For Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, substitute Chocolate Flavor INSTANT Pudding.

Missi
03-27-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by BlueMoose
Eagle Magic Cookies Bars

OOohhh I use to make these all the time. In high school my best friend and I use to make double and even triple batches and then wrap them up and give them out as Christmas presents. I might make them again soon for nostalgia sake!!!!!!!

claire797
03-28-2002, 07:32 AM
My favorite was the Hershey's Black Magic cake on the back of the tin of cocoa.

Peeps
03-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by greysangel
ok peeps...cough it up!

JeAnne

Here you go - sorry for the delay! I make this sans nuts and its heavenly served hot with a scoop of vanilla fat free frozen yogurt!

Chocolate Pudding Cake
(courtesy a generic sugar bag!)

1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 c. milk
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. nuts (optional)

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 c. hot water

Combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and cocoa. Add milk, oil, vanilla and nuts (if desired). Spread into an 8x8 pan, sprayed with cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over batter in pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

JennyAnne
03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
From the back of the Hershey's cocoa box: Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake and "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting. The epitome of chocolate. It is just too good for words.

HRJ
03-31-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Jewel
And for some reason, my DH is crazy about that Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie! :rolleyes:

Hey -- I like that Chicken Pot Pie recipe, too! Great way to use up leftover chicken.

I also like the Pecan Pie Recipe from the side of the bottle of Karo corn syrup. I made it for Thanksgiving one of the first years we were married, and my FIL, who was originally from Alabama, wanted to know how a "Yankee" could make "real Southern-style pecan pie."

My all-time favorite -- the pumpkin pie recipe from the side of the Libby's canned pumpkin.

Fun thread, JeAnne!

Helene

ChristineB
03-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Tracey67-

I made your favorite "back of the box" recipe this weekend, Butterscotch Pecan Apple Crisp and I have to agree it is delicious--everyone raved about it. And two people asked for the recipe!! Thanks for the recipe!

Christine

helene
04-01-2002, 08:22 AM
A recipe everyone will enjoy.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Famous Oatmeal Cookies

Serving Size : 60

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oats -- quaker, quick or old fashioned
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 350F. Beat brown sugar, shortening, and sugar until creamy.

Add water, eggs, and vanilla; beat well.

Add combined oats, flour, salt, and baking soda; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 11 to 13 min. until edges are golden brown.

Remove to wire rack; cool completely. Store tightly covered.

A very brief history of the Quaker oatmeal cookie recipe on the Quaker Oats box: The first recipe was printed on the box in 1908 and was for an oat cake, a cookie that had no sugar ans was a dry, cracker-like item. A few more recipes followed, changing with the times to include shortening and sugar.

In 1955 the Famous Oatmeal Cookie recipe appeared on the box. This recipe was popular all the way into the 1970's. In 1985, Quaker's Best Oatmeal Cookie made it's debut and stayed on the box for several years. It is a big, chewy cookie similar to those sold at the specialty cookie shops that popped up all over America in the 80's.

In the 90's, as people became more weight conscious, a recipe for Chewy Fruit and Oatmeal Bars showed up on the box. It was lower in fat that the previous recipes. In between, there have been recipes with nuts, raisins, peanut butter, and all kinds of other embellishments.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 76 Calories; 3g Fat (37.5% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 13mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : These cookies come out better when you use old fashioned as oppesed to quick oats. You can add nuts etc. to the dough.

jphilg
04-01-2002, 08:25 AM
I make the "rich egg bread" (aka challah) from the side of the Safeway Unbleached All Purpose Flour bag. Best challah recipe ever!

Jen

helene
04-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Try this:

http://www.backofthebox.com/