PDA

View Full Version : nostalgia food-do you remember this?

kimmurphy94
04-10-2002, 02:34 PM
I don't know what made me think of this, but lately I've had a craving for this ice cream I use to get as a kid. It was red, white and blue and the blue part had little white candy stars. Do you remember this? It was in 1976, during the bicenntenial. I'm sure if I tried it now, I would probably be disgusted - ice cream just shouldn't be that color! - but its funny to think about!

What's your favorite nostalgia food?
Twinkies?
Pop Rocks? (BTW, you can buy these now at Bed, Bath - I got them for my son spaced themed b-day party. It was for the kids...really :rolleyes:

Peggy C.
04-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Wise chips/crackers used to make a cheese and waffle cracker....hmm I loved those. I think they still make them, but are hard to find around here.

gertdog
04-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Pop Rocks, definitely.

And something called "Lik-m-aid" or something like that... a little pouch of kool-aid type powder... pure sugar... plus a white candy "dipstick" to lick and dip in the powder.

We also loved Pixie Stix and Ring Pops (lollipops made to look like giant jewels, mounted on a plastic ring).

I don't remember the red, white, and blue ice cream, though!

ebobbitt
Did you know there's a place on the web you can buy nostalgia candy? It's great fun to look at. If you're interested let me know and I'll get the address from my co-worker. He ordered all of us "60's candy" for Christmas.

Here it is: www.groovycandy.com

amcleod
Candy necklaces and rings (NOT ring-pops...I am talking the sweet-tart=esque kind) and Wacky Wafers!

leightx
04-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Ok - well this is probably going to gross EVERYONE out, and I don't think it would qualify as a *favorite*, but I was just thinking about how my dad and I would eat Steak-ums whenever mom had a meeting or something to go to at dinnertime. EEEEWWWWWW!!! And vienna sausages, with saltines. I liked making pyramids out of mine. Ok, I admitted it, I used to eat vienna sausages, straight from the can (well, we rinsed them first - thank GOD), and liked them. :rolleyes:

Along the same lines, but not food related, we went over to a friend's house today and my 20 mos. old son found some of her old twist-a-beads or whatever they were called. They were quite fashionable in the 80's, and you usually got three different colors and twisted together and added a cheesy gold clasp to the whole thing. I had *totally* forgotten about those necklaces until today. Weird...

Leightx

lisas3575
04-10-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by gertdog
Pop Rocks, definitely.

And something called "Lik-m-aid" or something like that... a little pouch of kool-aid type powder... pure sugar... plus a white candy "dipstick" to lick and dip in the powder.

We also loved Pixie Stix and Ring Pops (lollipops made to look like giant jewels, mounted on a plastic ring).

All of these are still readily available at my local convenience stores. :o Is it an Oregon thing???

Anybody remember Marathon Bars? They were really long braided caramel coated in chocolate. I also loved loved loved Ghiradelli Flicks. Sigh. Those were the good old days. And what about the candy cigarettes-- how un-PC were those! LOL. Funny how we're all nostalgic for junk food! :p

lhall
04-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Koogle Peanut Butter!!!

Man, I used to looooove that stuff. Came in Chocolate and Banana flavors. Probably early to mid 70's is when we used to eat it.

Leigh

Angela
04-10-2002, 02:52 PM
the multi-colored candy dots on the paper stripes! I loved them even though little bits of paper would stick to the dots. I spent days during the summers with my grandma (free babysitter :))when I was little and she would also buy them for me at the candy store.

Also, coke bottles--the gummy ones.

AzAnne
04-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Not really nostalgiac but ..... As a child we didn't ever have any "junk food" type treats around, but I did manage to sample some. I remember my ALL time favorite was hostess HoHo's and they had to eaten in a certain way :o .

Well to make a long story short ;) yesterday I'm in the breakroom filling up my water and I happen to glance at the vending machine, and what to my surprise was sitting there calling to me :eek: HOHO's In my TOM weakness I bought them, brought them back to my desk and proceeded to consume. All I can say is YUCK !!!! Could only take 2 bites :( I should have just enjoyed my childhood memories instead of trying to re-create them.

Rae
04-10-2002, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm nostalgic for them, but every once in while I'll taste something that reminds me of that candy that was shaped like big lips. I think they were pretty waxy. Does anyone else remember them? They tasted like the wax from the little wax bottles of colored sugar water. I've asked friends my age if anyone else remembers these lip things, and everyone seems to think that I'm delusional. I honestly remember them and even remember how they tasted, not that they were very good. Maybe they weren't supposed to be candy! :eek:

ebobbitt
04-10-2002, 03:05 PM
I remember the big, red wax lips. Is that what you're talking about?

JackieO
04-10-2002, 03:12 PM
Rae, you're not delusional. I remember those big red wax lips AND the wax bottles filled with "pop."

This is a bit off topic, but I grew up in northern Wisconsin where it was called "pop" but in the Milwaukee area, it's soda. I don't really care, since I'm not much into fizzy drinks anymore, but I feel funny referring to it as "pop" now.

Peggy C.
04-10-2002, 03:12 PM
Rae you can still get them, I think now they even have some with weird teeth and stuff. Think Billy Bob teeth.

Jackie O. it's "POP" here in Cleveland as well.

aggie94
04-10-2002, 03:19 PM
I loved all the candy jewelry when I was a kid - candy necklaces, rings, lipstick tubes... I'm sure I thought it was really cool before I had real jewelry and make-up! Then there was the stringy gum that came in packets like chew. I'm still amazed that we ever thought that was cool.

When I was in high school and my two best friends and I used to get together for weekend sleepovers, we ALWAYS bought tortilla chips and nacho-flavored spray cheese in a can. :eek:

Leigh - I remember those necklaces you mentioned! It also brought to mind those plastic, colored, slinky-like bracelets that I wore in junior high. You know, you'd color coordinate them with your clothes and wear like 5 or 6 at a time? :o Oh, and my DH still eats Steak-um. :o :o

lisas3575
04-10-2002, 03:19 PM
I sometimes get nostalgic for the old sugared cereals before they changed them to have "brighter colors" and "squirting marshmallows" and the like. Like Trix when it was just colored round puffs instead of shapes, and Lucky Charms when it was (say it with me now) "pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars and green clover." None of this purple horseshoe business for me.

LaraW
04-10-2002, 03:21 PM
But Lisa, what about the blue diamonds?????

gertdog
04-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by lisas3575

All of these are still readily available at my local convenience stores. :o Is it an Oregon thing???

Anybody remember Marathon Bars? They were really long braided caramel coated in chocolate. I also loved loved loved Ghiradelli Flicks. Sigh. Those were the good old days. And what about the candy cigarettes-- how un-PC were those! LOL. Funny how we're all nostalgic for junk food! :p

Wow, I haven't seen any of those things in ages... but then I haven't been looking either! :p Somehow I can't see me slipping a candy ring onto my finger and slurping it down to the base anymore.

I LOVED Marathon Bars. Charleston Chews too... but I've seen those recently.

Jewel
04-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Ahh..Ho Ho's and Ding Dongs... ;) Between those and Hostess Cupcakes, those were the three guilty pleasures. I can actually get all of the cream out of a Ding Dong without biting into it! :eek: In fact, that's how I got my ex-husband to ask me out! :p

ebobbitt
04-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Jewel, you have way more talents than we ever knew! :)

LaraW
04-10-2002, 03:26 PM
I used to unroll the Ho-Ho's and eat them that way. :rolleyes:

Jewel, I guess it takes special talent to get the cream filling out of one of those cupcakes without biting into it.

Does anybody remember Zingers? They used to be advertised during Charlie Brown specials.

eas11
04-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Yes, I remember all of the sugar treats memtioned- and liked them all!! Growing up in Brooklyn, we had Jack's candy store right on our corner. They had all the candies, penny and more. I really LOVED those candy lipsticks, aggie94! Also like the dots, wax "juice" bottles, candy necklaces. Funny, I remember the sugary stuff much more than chocolate. Was this stuff cheaper for us kids to buy? Also, I don't think the stores were ac-d at the time (60's) so maybe it was a perishable thing? The choc I remember are milky ways, mounds (hated em!) and my sisters favorite- CHUNKY!!! She's still gotta have 1 every now and then :)

Ellyn

RobinC
04-10-2002, 03:40 PM
I liked Steak-Umms. I was just thinking about them the other day and started to crave them. :D

lisas3575 - I remember candy cigarettes. :eek: I thought they were really cool when I was a kid (in the 70's) :o

I loved the candy necklaces, candy lipstick, candy rings, poprocks, pixie stix, all sorts of penny candies, dip and lick candies, sugar-water-filled wax candy, wax lips, and other pure sugar candies.

One of my guilty pleasures is still Hostess Fruit Pies. :D

When I was a kid, we used to get this product called Mug-O-Lunch. The flavors I remember are spaghetti and mac-n-cheese. Basically it was a packet of dehydrated food (very similar to a packet of hot chocolate) that you dumped in a cup and mixed with hot water. I remember my mom putting Mug-O-Lunch into my thermos to take to school for lunch.

leightx - I had some of those twisty bead necklaces when I was in high school!

Peggy C.
04-10-2002, 03:42 PM
None of this purple horseshoe business for me.

I feel the exact same way about the blue m&ms and whatever unnatural colors they are trying to introduce now. Of course I ate a bag (single serving) today and just could not look at them, because of the pink ones in there!:mad:

AndreaU
04-10-2002, 03:52 PM
Monster Cereals- Count Chocula was my favorite
Anyone remember Kaboom! cereal? And how cereals used "sugar" in their names- Sugar Smacks became Smacks; Super Sugar Crisp became Super Golden Crisp.

Lik-m-aid
Wax bottles with (basically) colored sugar water in them
Cones with marshmallow "ice cream"
Clark Bar
Pop Rocks
Chuckles
Giant Gobstoppers
Candy Cigarettes (the kind that smoked)- like that would go over these days!
Chiclets Gum and Tiny Chiclets
Pixy Stix
Freshen-Up Gum with the oozy stuff inside

leightx- we, too, had a thing for Steak-Umms... with lots of melted cheese. I could not bring myself to eat one now.

laraw- Beware the Zinger zappers!! I actually bought some recently (the raspberry with coconut on top)- DH thought I totally lost it!

Check out this cool website for lots of neat foods (not just candy and cereal either): http://www.hometownfavorites.com

HRJ
04-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Yup -- Dots on paper; candy "soda bottles"; edible necklaces -- good stuff!

I think one of my very favorite candies, which I haven't seen in years -- does anyone remember Bonomo Turkish Taffy?

It came either in little "logs" or big flat bars -- in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and banana flavors. You could buy it in the candy store -- I also remember it was one of the things they always used to have at the candy counter in movie theaters.

From time to time, I've mentioned Bonomo to people, and no one else seems to remember it. Was it a regional thing? We used to pass a Bonomo factory when we went to visit my cousins in Coney Island, I seem to remember.

Even if I could find it again, I'd be afraid of eating any, for fear of losing a filling. :rolleyes: But I'm curious about what happened to it.

Helene

eas11
04-10-2002, 03:57 PM
YES, YES!!!!! I LOVED Turkish Taffy!!! Especially Banana, which people thought was disgusting!
I want some now! I'd hold it in my hands to get it soft before chewing, to save those costly fillings and crowns!! Helene, do you remember "slapping" it on the ground or counter to break it into bite size pieces :)

Ellyn

ebobbitt
04-10-2002, 03:58 PM
I remember the big flat bars of taffy -- they were really flat but I'm not sure of the brand. It was in wax paper but maybe all taffy came in wax paper. Also, it was 3 big stripes--the two outside stripes were the same color and the inside stripe was a different color. Is that it?

LaraW
04-10-2002, 04:00 PM
I remember Tangy Taffy coming in a candy-bar sized package. Do you remember Laffy Taffy? You could buy it in bite sized pieces for maybe $.05 or $.10 each and it had jokes on the wrapper!

BlueMoose
04-10-2002, 04:08 PM
I remember lots of these things! How about 7up candy bars that had 7 different sections of filling in them?

And Jewel....that's definitely more than I wanted to know!:eek: ;)

Jewel
04-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BlueMoose
And Jewel....that's definitely more than I wanted to know!:eek: ;)

:p:p:p:p

luv2cook
04-10-2002, 04:26 PM
does anyone remember that candy/fruit that was shaped like orange halves but came in different flavors coated in sugar?

italian ice
Bit-O-Honey
ring pops
Gobstoppers
ding dongs (eaten a certain way)
pixie sticks...

ISAIAH30_18
04-10-2002, 04:32 PM

this was the EXACT thing I thought of!!!! Fun Dip!!!! I still buy it when going on road trips...even though it's terribly messy. ahhh the memories.....

ISAIAH30_18
04-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Angela
the multi-colored candy dots on the paper stripes! I loved them even though little bits of paper would stick to the dots. I spent days during the summers with my grandma (free babysitter :))when I was little and she would also buy them for me at the candy store.

Also, coke bottles--the gummy ones.

my brother's favorites!!!!

ISAIAH30_18
04-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Rae
I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm nostalgic for them, but every once in while I'll taste something that reminds me of that candy that was shaped like big lips. I think they were pretty waxy. Does anyone else remember them? They tasted like the wax from the little wax bottles of colored sugar water. I've asked friends my age if anyone else remembers these lip things, and everyone seems to think that I'm delusional. I honestly remember them and even remember how they tasted, not that they were very good. Maybe they weren't supposed to be candy! :eek:

i remember!!! i remember!!! i remember!!! i remember!!! i remember!!! i remember!!! i remember!!! i remember!!!

kimmurphy94
04-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Koogle Peanut Butter!!!

OMG - I remember that too! I had serious cravings for that when I was pregnant and couldn't find anyone who had heard of it! They would look at me as if I had 2 heads, so I was starting to think that I had dreamed it all up!

I was so happy when Jiff came out with their chocolate peanut butter - it really reminded me of Koogle!

Abby
04-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by luv2cook
ding dongs (eaten a certain way)

The other thing I loved about Ding Dongs was that they were wrapped in aluminum foil. Do they still do that? That just made them neater for some reason!

moonnstarsfan
04-10-2002, 04:54 PM
My favorite has to be Zots. Hard candies that came in flavors such a lime, grape, orange and cherry. In the middle was this sour flavored powder that fizzed when it hit your tongue..... Pure heaven...
I also have to give thumbs up to Dots and Lick-M-Sticks

Melinda

aggie94
04-10-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Abby
The other thing I loved about Ding Dongs was that they were wrapped in aluminum foil. Do they still do that? That just made them neater for some reason!

Yup, they sure do! (And the reason I know this is because DH still eats Ding Dongs too :rolleyes: )

AndreaU
04-10-2002, 05:21 PM
The reason DH & I won't eat Ho-Ho's (other than the fact that they're not that nutritionally sound) is that they DON'T wrap them in foil anymore. They're in this space-age foil-LOOKING wrapper thing. It's just not fun. But I'll have to check out Ding Dongs if they're still wrapped in foil! (Simple pleasures... :rolleyes: )

By the way- what a runaway thread... 3 hours and 40 replies!! Great topic!

lhall
04-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by kimmurphy94

OMG - I remember that too! I had serious cravings for that when I was pregnant and couldn't find anyone who had heard of it! They would look at me as if I had 2 heads, so I was starting to think that I had dreamed it all up!

I was so happy when Jiff came out with their chocolate peanut butter - it really reminded me of Koogle!

Ditto on the two heads thing. It really did exist!

I've had Jiff's berry peanut butter, but not the chocolate. I had a peanut butter craving when I was pregnant the second time, but I have to watch my chocolate intake when I'm pregnant. (It has a certain effect on my hormones that required I NOT be tired:D :o)

OH, and it's not "soda" or "pop" it's all "coke" doesn't matter what color/flavor/brand it's still "coke":p :p

Leigh

memartha
04-10-2002, 05:31 PM
You have mentioned soooo many childhood favorites, esp. Lik-M-Aid, HoHos eaten a certain way (unrolled, etc.), candy lips... I was feeling down but just started laughing reading all your favorites.

From the candy store, I loved "Red Hots" which were chewey and looked like fat quarters and were cinnamony flavored; long shoelace licorice; dots on paper; candy cigs; Charleston Chews; etc.

BTW, anyone living around here, check out the Wayside Ice Cream/Candy Shop, on Route 20 in Wayland (I think, near Longfellow's Wayside Inn)... it is a blast from the past... the candy counter is a three sided affair with fudge, penny candy and more. The kids go nuts!!! (me, too)

Now, there are three breakfast favorites I remember from about 1970. One is Quisp Cereal, the other 2 are kinda blurred together... one was a toaster pastry, maybe w/a hole in the middle and kind of greasy??? The other was called Breakfast Squares (I think) and were supposedly what the astronauts ate. Nasty dry squares full of vitamins and sugar, with some sort of vague frosting. Please, someone, tell me you remember!!! My Mom bought vanilla, and with a glass of Tang, we were ready to start our day! Martha

Chefzhat
04-10-2002, 06:21 PM
OMG, Tang!!! What that stuff horrible, or what????

I remember the long strips of taffy that was three colors in the wax paper - just don't remember what they were called. Also, wasn't there a hunk of chocolate wrapped in foil that was just a big square with red lettering across the top - something Ice block, I don't remember that either (yes, it is Alzheimers!)

Does anyone remember being able to go into the drugstore and buy warm nuts out of the display counter? And eating TV dinners a lot? On TV trays watching Sonny & Cher? :p :p :p :p

Debie

suz1354
04-10-2002, 06:59 PM
My favprote "old" candy is/was Mary Janes and Lemon Heads. I had also found that web site that sells all the old cany but, better yet, found a store near me that sells it all!:p

KimberlyS
04-10-2002, 07:45 PM
My grandfather always kept Maryjane's along with another candy called Sugar Barlies (a hard candy in different flavors) for when we went to visit.

I also really liked Lemonheads and two similar candies called Alexander the Grape and Cherry Chan's. I could stop on the way to school and buy a pack for a nickel or a dime.

I also remember Kaboom cereal, I think. Was there a big clown on the box?

Wendy w
04-10-2002, 07:47 PM
I remember a lot of the things mentioned here. One time, a friend & I were about 13 and we had the bubblegum cigarettes that were covered in paper and when you blew through it, it actually looked like you were smoking. We had a couple of old ladies giving us dirty looks.

Ding Dong's were my favorite and I used to carry them frequently in my lunch. They still make the ice cream bon bons and those were a favorite too.

BlueMoose
04-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Chefzhat

Also, wasn't there a hunk of chocolate wrapped in foil that was just a big square with red lettering across the top - something Ice block, I don't remember that either (yes, it is Alzheimers!)

Debie

Ice Cubes! My grandma used to buy them for us on trips to the "candy store". They still sell them, and I had one a few years ago, but it wasn't as good as I remembered.

(and I loved Sonny & Cher!)

Emilylynn
04-10-2002, 08:42 PM
Does anyone remember these? Not the malted milk balls. THese were like granola bars, but the bad for you version. THey were round and had peanut butter in the middle, and crunchy things on the outside. There's a scene in "The Lost Boys" where Grandpa tells the boys not to put anything on a certain shelf in the fridge cause that's where his Whoppers go. My BF thinks I'm crazy, and said maybe I just dreamed it up because i like peanut butter so much. Any other fans???

sassysu3
04-10-2002, 09:20 PM
:eek: Yipes! Stripes! Beech Nut's got'em!
Just thought I'd share :D
sassysu3

knunes
04-10-2002, 09:26 PM
HRJ and eas11,
You mean B-O- N-O- M-O Bonomo! Turkish taffy!
Yes, I remember it, but I can't help you with the regionalness of it, because I'm from your region! Did we freeze it before slapping it on the ground to crack it in pieces? I can't remember....
I also liked Chunky, Charleston Chew, candy dots.....how about Sky Bars?
For nostalgic memories that probably no one else shares:
I would only eat pasta shaped like "wagon wheels" (I've seen that in the store recently), and for breakfast, I loved to float Butter Thin crackers in hot cocoa until they got soggy and then eat them---sounds gross huh? I don't think they make Butter Thins anymore, but Keebler makes something like it---perhaps I'll have to share this nostalgic delicacy with my seven year old!

sassysu3
04-10-2002, 09:28 PM
:rolleyes: Do "they" still make Lorna Dunes cookies, or the ones shaped like a flower with a hole in the middle? I would stick my finger in the hole and nibble at the cookie to see how much I could eat with out it falling off my finger.
sassysu3

JennieL
04-10-2002, 09:34 PM
BlueMoose,

I'd almost forgotten about the 7up candy bar, but it was my favorite! Wansn't one of the sections raspberry?

I'm sooooo craving a junk food fix after this thread!!!!

Gracie
04-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by knunes
HRJ and eas11,
You mean B-O- N-O- M-O Bonomo! Turkish taffy!
Yes, I remember it, but I can't help you with the regionalness of it, because I'm from your region! Did we freeze it before slapping it on the ground to crack it in pieces? I can't remember....

I'm from the area too but YES WE DID smack them on the ground to crack them into pieces!

And Sassysu3 - Lorna Doones - to this day, the Girl Scouts shortbread cookies bring me back to LD's. I remember the flower cookies too!!!!! Thanks for the memories!

Loren

little_bopeep
04-10-2002, 09:45 PM
OK, speaking of delusional....
I must be the only person in the universe who remembers this: When I was a kid in Louisiana in the early '60's, we bought a candy that I could swear was called "Corn Suckers"...it was a lollipop shaped like an ear of corn, and I think it came in grape and either cherry or strawberry flavors (maybe even orange). And the cool thing about it was that it had money in it! You could find a penny, nickel, dime, or the elusive quarter. I know that these things don't exist now because you can't put foreign objects in food anymore....but does anyone else remember them, or is this one of Jack Handy's Fuzzy Memories?

Robyncz
04-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by memartha
The other was called Breakfast Squares (I think) and were supposedly what the astronauts ate. Nasty dry squares full of vitamins and sugar, with some sort of vague frosting. Please, someone, tell me you remember!!!

Yes. We had those too. I LOVED them. We got the chocolate ones, though. They were totally dense--like a really heavy brownie. I've wondered about them since, but nobody I know has any memory of them.

Now here's another one--I remember, from about the same time, a sugar cereal called "Freakies." For years we had a small collection of little "Freakies" magnets on the refrigerator that had come from my cereal. I don't remember anything at all about the cereal itself, but those little alien characters are clear in my mind!

And as for the monster cereals---I once ate an ENTIRE box of Boo Berry while my mom was still sleeping one Saturday morning. And, how can I put this delicately--Mom didn't see what went in, but she saw what came out, and I had some explainin' to do to keep myself out of the emergency room. Let's just say that blue dye doesn't just disappear inside of ya!

mmtibbs
04-10-2002, 11:04 PM
BlueMoose--

We had a conversation at work recently about "remembered" candies and not one of my California workmates recalled 7Up Candy Bars. I grew up in central Wisconsin and these were a favorite--especiallly the jelly filled section!

lisas3575
04-10-2002, 11:24 PM
Little_bopeep: I've never heard of that candy! How scary! I wonder how many kids choked to death on that. That's amazing.

What's the timeframe for those 7-up bars? I'm a child of the 70s and they don't sound at all familiar to me, and I was a candy freak as a child. Maybe they were a regional thing??

Has anybody had Boo Berry lately? I remember loving it as a kid, but kids are pretty indiscriminate about what's "good." Just curious how nasty the stuff really is. :o And no one has mentioned Boo Berry's and Count Chocula's partner in crime: FrankenBerry! :D :p :D :p

aggie94
04-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Has anybody had Boo Berry lately? I remember loving it as a kid, but kids are pretty indiscriminate about what's "good." Just curious how nasty the stuff really is. :o And no one has mentioned Boo Berry's and Count Chocula's partner in crime: FrankenBerry! :D :p :D :p

Lisa,

A couple of years ago, I noticed around Halloween that Safeway was carrying all these cereals. Knowing that DH loved Boo Berry and Frankenberry as a kid, I bought him a box of each. He had one bowl of each, pronounced them utterly vile, and ended up throwing the rest out. And this is coming from someone who still adores Ding Dongs, Cap'n Crunch (with crunchberries, of course), Steak-um, and other unmentionable food products. (His staple meals since I've been gone are cold cereal and Chef Boyardee). So my guess is that it's only good when you're a kid!

Canice
04-11-2002, 12:40 AM
I just came across all your lively posts and *had* to register!

Another vote for Zots! How about Bubble Yum? Bazooka gum? Blow Pops or the those square cinnamon lollipops? And what would a glass of Tang be if it wasn't accompanied by a Space Food Stick? Are novelty ice-cream bars a category unto themselves? A friend mentioned this recently and I thought of Missile Bars (gee, any guess that I was a little kid in the late 60s - all this "space" stuff), 50/50 Bars, Cho-chos, and Push-Ups.

Finally, I have to ask about a product that I've been accused of imagining: Shake-a-Pudding. I never tried it, but I'm sure I remember seeing commercials for it, all those happy kids shaking paper cups of something, creating pudding right in its own container. OK, this last one was a stretch....Anyone?

little_bopeep
04-11-2002, 02:57 AM
I vaguely remember that, Canice....my mom also bought a dessert mix that had 3 layers that I thought was pretty awesome. Chefzhat, was that square of chocolate thang called "Chunky?" Seems that it came plain or with nuts and raisins.

I didn't go all the way back through the thread, so forgive me if I repeat....but has anyone mentioned Fizzies? They're for all the world like Alka-Seltzer, but they made a really pretty good tasting carbonated drink (except for the root beer flavored ones...ewwwwww). I found their website a couple of years ago and should have ordered a bunch, but I didn't and now they're gone. :( I have a particularly sentimental spot in my heart for them because when I was about 5, my sister taught me to tell time with them. 3pm every afternoon was my "Fizzies Time," and she made me learn where that was on the clock so I'd stop bugging her every 5 minutes asking if it were time yet! :D

SusieO
04-11-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by moonnstarsfan
My favorite has to be Zots. Hard candies that came in flavors such a lime, grape, orange and cherry. In the middle was this sour flavored powder that fizzed when it hit your tongue..... Pure heaven...

My grandmother used to keep these in her candy dish. I thought they were called Napoleons, but when I bought a bag of Napoleons from candystore.com a couple of years ago they didn't fizz, and I was very disappointed. They were still good, and they had the sour powder in the center, they just didn't fizz.

I remember so many of the candies mentioned, mostly from the Little League ball park when my brother played. But my favorite was Chik-o-Stik. It was a long, fat stick of a peanut butter type candy with a hint of coconut.

little_bopeep, what a sweet memory of your sister and learning to tell time!

Mamasue
04-11-2002, 06:30 AM
Oh yes I remember most of these candies and I can remember when penny candy was penny candy. Mom would gives us coke bottles to redeem and we bought our penny candy.

Martha.....Wayside Country store is a great place that young and old kids love. Anthony's has great breakfast too!

No one mentioned Scooter Pies. I also remember Swanson TV dinners that Mom use to buy, especially turkey. Would you believe that she still has the aluminum trays which are much heavier than the flimsy ones they use now. Mom use to save them and make her own TV dinners from leftover Thanksgiving dinner.

As a small girl I can remember that we had a Milkman who delivered milk about twice a week. That was when the cream was at the top of the glass bottle of milk and Mom would skim it off to use for special times. We also had a Breadman.

Looks like I might be the thread killer here because I am always late for these chats! :)

Peggy C.
04-11-2002, 06:44 AM
I don't think mamasue would be the threadkiller on this one anyways, but OMG this is such a fun thread, I just feel everyones enthusiasm!

I loved Zots I forgot all about those! And here is my big confession I still eat ho hos!

HRJ
04-11-2002, 06:56 AM
About that Bonomo taffy -- Ellyn found this somewhere on the web and e-mailed it to me yesterday -- thought I'd share it, since some other folks remember it, too -- (and no, I don't think it came with stripes -- that must have been some other kind of taffy)

Candy freaks of a certain age will remember Bonomo’s Turkish Taffy, a confection which inspired loyalty in movie goers and schoolchildren alike.
The euphonious name “Turkish Taffy” reflected clever marketing as much as it did reality. The sephardic Bonomos really did have roots in Turkey, but the recipe was invented in Coney Island, the saltwater taffy capital of the United States.
Victor Bonomo, who died at age 100, inherited the family’s boardwalk candy concession. By the end of WWII he was hawking three candy bars, “Thanks,” “Hats Off,” and “Call Again,” which was described as a “poor man’s Milky Way.”

Most popular, though, was the Turkish Taffy, which was sold in bars the size of a 1945 nickel Hershey bar. It came in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and banana, in a package adorned by fez-capped, smiling candy makers. (The fez had been outlawed by Ataturk in the 20s.) By the time Bonomo sold off the business in the 60s, sales tallied as many as 100 million bars per year.

The company ended up in the hands of Tootsie Roll, which ceased production of it in 1989.

Now, what evil, depraved individual made the decision to discontinue production of Turkish Taffy? Why would anyone do such a thing? A culinary masterpiece, lost to the ages. :(

Speaking of treats, do they still make Mallomars? And, there's been a lot of talk about Ding Dongs and Ho-Hos -- was anyone here a fan of Ring Dings and Yodels?

Last memory -- when I was a kid, my mother used to cover just about everything in Bosco syrup, for a dessert. One of her "specialties" was canned pears, (in heavy syrup, of course) drenched in Bosco -- she called it "Pears Helene." :p

Helene

lhall
04-11-2002, 07:12 AM

Actually, I have a box on Boo Berry in my cabinet at home. Most of the time you can only find these cereals around Halloween, but the Wal-mart I go to now has they YEAR ROUND!

I haven't had any of it, but DD1 loves it.

Leigh

sassysu3
04-11-2002, 07:57 AM
:eek: mamasue & martha...my gramdmother used to own an antique shop called Wayside Country store...or it may have been Wayside Antiques! She lived in Southwick, MA...or was it Westfield? I'll have to pull out my pics and check. Are either of you familiar with that store?
Boston, along with those other areas mentioned, are my stomping grounds from days gone by...
:) sassysu3

Mamasue
04-11-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by sassysu3
:eek: mamasue & martha...my gramdmother used to own an antique shop called Wayside Country store...or it may have been Wayside Antiques! She lived in Southwick, MA...or was it Westfield? I'll have to pull out my pics and check. Are either of you familiar with that store?
Boston, along with those other areas mentioned, are my stomping grounds from days gone by...
:) sassysu3

I am not familiar with Westfield or Southwick. I have visited Westfield but only on one occasion to view their college there. I can tell you that businesses titled "Wayside" is a popular name in New England. :)

slknight
04-11-2002, 08:15 AM

We always ate this stuff at swim meets! If it wasn't available, we used to eat jello straight out of the box, still in its powdered form!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I also loved the candy dots.

As for the red, white, and blue ice cream, the one I remember was actually a popsicle. It was star-shaped and striped. The ice cream man in the truck sold it.

sassafras
04-11-2002, 08:49 AM
I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but what's a Steak-Um?

My favorite candy as a kid was Now-N-Laters, I think they still make those, I have to go find some :)

Great thread.
Sarah

Hoosier65
04-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Frozen Zero candy bars and Coke with peanuts in it. This was always eaten at the swimmimg pool in the summer. (I'm probably dating myself)

memartha
04-11-2002, 08:57 AM
ooooo... Littlebopeep and Canice... we got Shake-A-Puddin' and that 3-layer jello thing. LOVED THEM!!! I'm surprised I don't have 3 heads and green skin from all the artificial ingredients my mom pumped into me!!

A Steak-Um is a very thinly sliced frozen piece of steak (or so they say) that you just put in the frying pan and warm up and put in a sandwich. We used them ALOT in college, and Mom bought them a few times too. They still sell them around here; boxes are found in the frozen food section of the supermarket. I glanced at them recently, thinking DS might like, but the fat is outrageous.

I remember the three-colored soft taffy on a strip of wax paper. Robyncz, I don't remember the cereal Freakies. And our mother would NOT let us have the chocolate breakfast squares; only vanilla. Go figure!

Finally, at 2 am I remembered the name of the greasy toaster pastry with the hole in the middle... Do-Si-Dos.

BlueMoose
04-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Lisa,

I'm 33 and I only remember the 7up candy bars from when I was pretty young. Maybe they were regional.

BarbaraL
04-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Yes, yes, yes! I remember almost all of this stuff (except never heard of 7-up candy) - food-fixated even as a child, I fear.

HRJ, eas11 and Knues, I loved Turkish taffy (B-O-N-O-M-O, O-O-O, it's Bonomo, Turkish Taaaffy!) - the vanilla and banana; strawberry and chocolate weren't as good (IMHO).
HRJ, you can still buy Mallomars (my family just finished a box 2 days ago). We were a "Hostess" family, so we had Ring-dings, Yodels, Devil Dogs and Twinkies, rather than Ding Dongs or Ho HOs. We also had Bosco! I think they still make it; it was the only chocolate syrup a friend would drink, and when she moved away, she had friends bring her some, since she couldn't get it in Maryland (maybe it's a NJ thing).

Little bo peep, my brother and I loved fizzies (even the root beer ones); Mama Sue, we also had Scooter Pies; Rae, I had some of those wax lips. I don't think you actually were supposed to eat them, but everyone chewed on them, as I recall. In retrospect, they remind me of the Rocky Horror picture show. Luv2Cook, I remember the jelly-type candy shaped like fruit slices -- even had little white "veining" in them! They came in orange, yellow and green; maybe red too? And leightx, I STILL have some of those beaded necklaces that you twisted together (I never throw anything out). I've dug them out for Halloween costumes at times -- substitute for 'love' beads for "hippy" costumes.

Does anyone remember "snowballs"? I think they were made by Hostess . . . they were cakes shaped like half a sphere (or ball) with cream in the middle, covered by a weird, rubbery/stretchy icing and sprinkled with coconut. I think they came in white and pink. The icing was disgusting! There was also a drink mix that came in a glass jar -- Keen or Teem, I think (Keen, Keen, Nestle's Keen, new softdrink mix for kids . . .). You spooned the powder into a glass and added water -- kind of like Kool-Aid, I guess.

Wow, this brings back memories. I can't believe I can remember the jingles from some of these things -- like the Keen/Teem -- I remember the music and words, but not the product name!

Mamasue
04-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Barbara....Yep, snowballs...I remember. The outside shell was like a marshamellow type coating with coconut. I didn't care too much for them. I can remember that the twinkies creamy filling was much better then than now. I don't know why but they don't taste the same. :) I also remember Bosco but Ovaltine was a favorite of mine especially with peanut butter sandwiches to dunk into. Yum! :)

lhall
04-11-2002, 10:01 AM
ok, this is most definately a regional thing...

RC Cola and a Moon Pie!!!

Leigh,
Yup, born & bred in the south!:D

Mamasue
04-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by lhall
ok, this is most definately a regional thing...

RC Cola and a Moon Pie!!!

Leigh,
Yup, born & bred in the south!:D

I believe youalls Moon Pie was our Scooter Pie or maybe is it our Whoopie Pie. :D

JackieO
04-11-2002, 10:14 AM
Ok, Midwesterners, I think you are onto something about those 7-Up bars. I grew up in northwestern Wisconsin near Mpls/St.Paul, and remember them from the 1960s. I think there was a candy company based in St. Paul -- Carlsons? -- didn't they make Nut Goodies? And wasn't there some chocolate and maple cream confection and a chocolate mint one as well??

And that three-layer chilled dessert, was that Whip N Chill? My Mom had these long-stemmed Fostoria dessert glasses that we used to make that stuff in.

:cool: What a fun trip down memory lane! Kinda takes the sting out of being middle-aged!

jrichards
04-11-2002, 10:35 AM
This is a great thread! I remember and loved almost everything listed. I was a candy freak. Probably because my mom was pretty strict about only having healthy things in our house. In fact, when I took my parent's car out before I was 16 (15 1/2), my sister and I got caught at the 7-11 buying candy. That in itself was more frightening to us initially than the car, LOL!

Gertdog/Slknight - I just loved the Lik-M-Aid. I just read a story in the newspaper last week about some elementary students in Howell, MI. that made a concoction of Jello-O powder, Kool-aid, and sugar and took it to school to sell in little baggies. Well, the kids got expelled and were compared to drug dealers!! The parenst were quite upset about that.

Originally posted by slknight

We always ate this stuff at swim meets! If it wasn't available, we used to eat jello straight out of the box, still in its powdered form!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jennifer

LaraW
04-11-2002, 10:50 AM
I am sitting here feeling deprived! I remember seeing/hearing about Ding Dongs and Ring Dings and stuff, but I was never allowed to eat them. I remember the rare occasion that I was allowed a twinkie or a Hostess fruit pie.

We were candy fiends, though. If it was sugar, we were interested in it. If it was sticky, all the better.

I don't know that I'd ever be able to go back to eating frosted flakes or super sugar crisp, or sugar smaks (that was the one with the frog on the box, right?).

I remember eating Kix a lot and my mom bought Body Buddies, but I don't remember eating that much.

dulcecoeur
04-11-2002, 11:33 AM
My all-time fav (and I know you can still buy them) are Smarties, but these ARE NOT the same smarties as in the U.S. These are like candy coated milk chocolate (almost like M & M's but bigger and very colourful). They are made by Rowntree, and while you can get them in Australia too they are REALLY GROSS there, lvery hard and with a wierd flavour, so they HAVE to be Canadian or from England. When my grandmother was in the hospital, I used to get Smarties every time we went to see her...called it the Smartie Hospital. Still eat them for nostalgia...their tag line was "When you eat your smarties, do you eat the red ones last?" I did until they came out with blue, then ate the blue ones last as I would seperate them in piles and eat them "equally" except blue!

I loved Tootsie Rolls - best part of Hallo'ween. Fortunately you can still buy them, and the best thing is that they are pretty low in fat too. I even found a recipe for them, and it is pretty good - a little softer than bought ones but tasty.

Another Canadian one: Coffee Crisp - soo good, and still around!
Don't think these are in US either.

I also used to get Ring Pops when I went out to my grandparents in the country and helped them do the paper route - we would stop in at one of the little stores. Lik-A-Maids were a popular choice with me too, but thinking of them is making my teeth hurt :-(

Oh, and I LOVED fruit roll-ups. They used to be actually good at one time when they were actually made with REAL fruit. Now its all sugar and they are gross! My mum was pretty strict, and fruit roll-ups were a luxury ;-)
She would not let me have those "sugar" cereals either - I only got honey nut cheerios. But my grandparents had Froot Loops, so always had a good time when I went there!

Good thread!

Jewel
04-11-2002, 11:37 AM
My favorite 'old' candybar is the 'Big Hunk'. Actually lowfat in comparison with the other candybars out today, only 3 grams of fat for the entire bar! :D White taffy with peanuts...hard as a rock and veeerry chewy! I had to slam the bar on the sidewalk and break up the pieces, and they were so chewy I nearly pulled out fillings when I was a kid! :eek:

Of course the last time I indulged in one of these things a few years ago I yanked off my crown... :rolleyes:

dulcecoeur
04-11-2002, 11:46 AM
And I must admit I have never eaten a Twinkie, Ho Ho, Ding Dong, etc, etc, in MY LIFE! My mum baked stuff instead....at the time I am sure I felt deprived, now I am probably relieved:D

funnybone
04-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
I remember the long strips of taffy that was three colors in the wax paper - just don't remember what they were called.

A store around here sells them. I have never bought it - I guess I prefer it to stay a childhood memory. My kids have never asked for it either. Next time I am there, I will check out the name and who makes it.

funnybone
04-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Canice
Finally, I have to ask about a product that I've been accused of imagining: Shake-a-Pudding. I never tried it, but I'm sure I remember seeing commercials for it, all those happy kids shaking paper cups of something, creating pudding right in its own container. OK, this last one was a stretch....Anyone?

OMG - I REMEMBER - it was in the late 60's and we tried it. I don't remember my mom buying it again, but I remember the vanilla flavor. I don't think it stayed around for long, but I grew up in Canada, so maybe it didn't fly there. You are not imagining!!

gertdog
04-11-2002, 11:51 AM
This is a more recent one, but my DF wants to know if they're still being made... Jell-O Pudding Pops? I loved these too... especially the chocolate-vanilla swirl ones.

And what about Laffy Taffy (probably still exists)... white taffy strip with peanut butter in the middle. I liked that stuff a lot.

funnybone
04-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by dulcecoeur
My all-time fav (and I know you can still buy them) are Smarties, but these ARE NOT the same smarties as in the U.S.

Another Canadian one: Coffee Crisp - soo good, and still around!
Don't think these are in US either.

We bring back Smarties every time we visit Canada. The kids prefer them over M&M's. My grandparents always bought us Coffee Crisps when ever they visited.

However, my all time favorite was the MacIntosh Toffee from Rowntree. It's in the red box with a bit of plaid on the side, I believe. You had to whack it before you ate it so it broke into many pieces. How I loved that stuff!!!

RebeccaT
04-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by slknight

WE DID THE EXACT SAME THING AT SWIM MEETS!! I loved that stuff!

DH still has to buy a box of Dots everytime we rent a movie!

One of my favorites when I was a kid was Atomic FireBalls. My friends and I would put one in our mouth (I can't believe we didn't choke to death), suck on it until we couldn't stand the heat, take it out, wait, put it back in, and so on... we could make one last for an hour that way! I had red fingers from doing that for most of the summer! :p

My mom wouldn't let me eat sugary cereal when I was a kid (and I still bear the scars! ;) ) but I remember eating C-3PO's at sleepovers! They were shaped like little figure 8's, and tasted like peanut butter... how do I remember this stuff?!?

gertdog
04-11-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by RebeccaT

Okay, this is getting scary. 'Cause Lik-m-aid was also a staple at our swim meets. :eek: But we had to hide it from our coaches. We used to bring one long strip of the packets each... remember how they were packaged so that you could tear off one flavor pouch at a time?

Also, DF just informed me that it is NOT Laffy Taffy I'm thinking of, with the peanut butter in the middle. It's Abba Zabba. I stand corrected! :)

VictoriaL
04-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Finally, I have to ask about a product that I've been accused of imagining: Shake-a-Pudding

This thread is wonderful!!!
Occasionally friends & I will start reminiscing about this subject, and I've heard mention most of what I've read here except for the Shake-a-Pudding!! Haven't thought of that in YEARS! You added milk to the paper cup and shook for a while than refrigerated for 5 minutes and, PUDDING!!! Thanks, Canice!

Also, earlier in the thread was mention of a chewy breakfast bar that "the astronauts eat" (or used to!). I remember something similar called Space Food Sticks. Made by the Carnation Company (I think) it was a chocolate, dense, chewy stick that we had for breakfast. Was supposed to have all of the nutrition of a bacon & eggs breakfast!!!:p :p :p :p

ebobbitt
04-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Wouldn't we all just hoot if we could read the nutritional information on some of this stuff now?

funnybone
04-11-2002, 12:39 PM
From www.candydirect.com

How is this for a trip down memory lane?

http://www.candydirect.com/images/web/243571-AA_prod.jpg

http://www.candydirect.com/images/web/366175-AA_prod.jpg

http://www.candydirect.com/images/web/242340-AA_prod.jpg

mochadelsol
04-11-2002, 12:56 PM
:D This is such a fun thread, I have been smiling the whole time. I was in a candy store this past weekend and they had a display of candies from the 60's as I was checking it out I said oh but where is the Bit of Honey, and by george it was there along with Look bars and Big Hunk. My teeth couldn't handle half that stuff now. Give me a bag of the mini mixed choc. bars and I'm in bliss.

04-11-2002, 01:03 PM
I remember so many of these things!

Growing up in Los Angeles, my brother and I would go down the street to the liquor store and stock up on candy. We had the Bonomo taffy, so it must have been distributed nation wide. Do any of you remember the original Fizzies? Then there were the flavored straws that were coated with chocolate, and,maybe strawberry flavoring, so that when you used them with milk, you ended up with flavored milk. I hope someone else remembers these and they aren't a figment of my imagination.

I remember wagonwheel pasta, a western themed pasta. And Popeye pasta. I think they were green.

Strange food memories are starting to surface. Was there a desert mix called Whip and Chill? I think it was some sort of pudding mix that was whipped and then chilled.

Hoosier65
04-11-2002, 01:10 PM
I just remembered my all time favorite candy to get at the movies on Saturday afternoon (at the Roy Rogers Riders Club) Walnetto's They were little indivdually wrapped carmal candies with walnuts. The best. I have seen them for sale in the Vermont Country Store catalog for $16 for a 3 lb. bag. I just can't bring myself to pay that for them, I'll just keep the memories. Also liked Slo-poke suckers. My dad ran a restaurant and he was able to get hugh slo-poke suckers that would take a week or more to eat. They were about the size a mouse pad.

ebobbitt
04-11-2002, 01:19 PM
I loved slo-pokes!

Gilgamesh37
04-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Too much fun! Every time I get the Vermont Country Store catalogue, it's always the nostalgia candy pages I pore over. Sky Bars were a particuar fave. Or Zagnut bars? They still make those, my old boss had a major jones for them, so I found the one store in our end of the state that carries them and I used to set him up. :p

Dang! Now I'm jonesing for a Fluffernutter Sandwich!!!!

(edited for a typo--I got distracted by images of marshmallow fluff.....)

Jewel
04-11-2002, 01:40 PM

I remember it waaay too well! :rolleyes: Now that you've brought it up I'm hearing that stupid commercial in my mind that I haven't heard in 30 years...Shake-Shake-Shake-Shake-Shake-a-puddinnnnnnn :eek::eek::eek:

Make it stop someone!! Make it stop!!

Hoosier65
04-11-2002, 01:41 PM
I posted this once already but it has gotten lost in cyberspace some where. So here goes again.
As I was saying, I just remebered my favorite candy at the movies on Saturday afternoon (at th Roy Rogers Riders Club) was Walnettos little indivually wrapped carmel candies with walnuts. They were the best. A close second would be Slo-poke suckers. Similar to Walnettos only on a stick without the nuts. My dad used to have a restaurant and he was able to get hugh Slo-pokes, the size of a pouse pad, it would take a week to eat it all. I have seen Walnettos for sale in the Vermont Country Store but they ar $16 for 3 pounds and I jsut can't bring myself to pay that. Guess I'll just stick to the memories.

I see my previous post here now, I swear it wasn't there a minute ago. Just ignore one or the other.

aggie94
04-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Gilgamesh37
Dang! Now I'm jonesing for a Flutternutter Sandwich!!!!

Isn't it fluffernutter? (That's what DH calls it, at least).

And this thread has brought back memories of going to my brother's baseball games as a kid and eating Frito pies right out of the Fritos bag -- you remember, cut open a bag of Fritos, pour in some of that concession stand chili, and throw some onions and cheese on top? YUMMMM! :D

sassafras
04-11-2002, 02:17 PM
This is a more recent one, but my DF wants to know if they're still being made... Jell-O Pudding Pops? I loved these too... especially the chocolate-vanilla swirl ones.

I LOVED Jello Pudding Pops! That was the only 'junk food' allowed in our house. I've been looking for them recently without any luck. :(

JHolcomb
04-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Does ANYONE remember pudding roll ups? Please someone, say yes. Everyone thinks I made these up, but my mom used to buy these for us in the mid-80s. Butterscotch and chocolate on a sheet of plastic (like fruit roll ups, but pudding). I KNOW they were made by Betty Crocker.

LaraW
04-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JHolcomb
Does ANYONE remember pudding roll ups? Please someone, say yes. Everyone thinks I made these up, but my mom used to buy these for us in the mid-80s. Butterscotch and chocolate on a sheet of plastic (like fruit roll ups, but pudding). I KNOW they were made by Betty Crocker.

I remember Fruit Roll Ups.

I have to say that pudding roll ups sound icky.

Gail
04-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by MWS
I remember so many of these things!

Growing up in Los Angeles, my brother and I would go down the street to the liquor store and stock up on candy. We had the Bonomo taffy, so it must have been distributed nation wide. Do any of you remember the original Fizzies? ...Strange food memories are starting to surface. Was there a desert mix called Whip and Chill? I think it was some sort of pudding mix that was whipped and then chilled.

Yup, yup, yup... (nodding vigorously) Another LA baby here who remembers all this stuff, though I don't remember Popeye pasta. I think, however, you're confusing Fizzies with Flavor Straws (dunno if they spelled it that way, though). Fizzies were tablets, I believe, which produced sort of a fruit-flavored Alka Selzer thing. Flavor Straws, as I recall, had a bitter fruit-flavored powder inside, through which you sucked up milk (while playing Red Light, Green Light with Engineer Bill.) Whip 'n Chill I also remember. Had kind of a foamy, weird pseudo-flavor.

After reading all this, I'm having flashbacks of a cartooned kid shaking a Good 'n Plenty box, saying, "Good 'n Plenty, Good 'n Plenty, Good 'n Plenty..." and the voice over saying "Plenty Good." Or Farfel snapping his mouth shut after the Nestle (oops, we're not supposed to say that here :p) theme. Or "What do you want when you gotta have something, and it's gotta be sweet, and it's gotta be a lot, and you've only got a dime...? What do you want?" (Crackerjack)

...ah the commercials of my youth...

04-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Hi Gail,

Do you remember the Helms Bakery wagons? They were an imortant part of growing up in Los Angeles. It was such a treat to go out and get something when the wagon came driving down the street. I can still see the inside of the wagon with the wood trays filled with those yummy baked goods. I still dream of the nut chews.

I saw Fizzies in the grocery store a few years ago and had to buy them. I wanted to share this experience from my youth with her. They weren't very good. I know I must of drank callons of the stuff.

I have such vivid memories of those straws. I will check with my brother to see if he remembers them.

Miranda

AndreaU
04-11-2002, 04:47 PM
BarbaraL- I actually LOVED Snoballs!!!! Especially the pink ones... I'd eat all the cake part and save the stretchy coconut covered "skin" for later. What was I thinking??? :o

Dulcecoeur- I grew up in Buffalo and traveled to Canada quite a lot growing up. Some of my favorites were Smarties, Coffee Crisp, and I think it was called Crispy Crunch. I was absolutely exstatic when I found a local store that carries Smarties (actually I just finished a tube today!) and AERO Bars (basically milk chocolate full of air bubbles).

RebeccaT
04-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JHolcomb

Yes! My favorite snack in 3rd grade. I liked the butterscotch ones.

You didn't make it up!

Gail
04-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by MWS
Hi Gail,

Do you remember the Helms Bakery wagons..?
Miranda

Do I EVER! They used to park one down the block from my junior high (John Burroughs) so they could get all the business from kids coming home from school. Since I lived on the sixth floor of a high-rise, I never got to catch one of the trucks in the neighborhood, 'cause at the time I got down the elevator, they were gone... Still remember the sound of their horns, though...

So, the things I remember as Flavor Straws you remember as Fizzies? I remember them as different products. Will have to ask a friend.

You know, as I'm typing this, the memory is coming back. The Flavor Straws didn't have powder in them as I said before, rather there was a solid insert in the middle of the straw which contained the flavor. Were the Fizzies you recently bought made this way?

lisas3575
04-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Gail
After reading all this, I'm having flashbacks of a cartooned kid shaking a Good 'n Plenty box, saying, "Good 'n Plenty, Good 'n Plenty, Good 'n Plenty..." and the voice over saying "Plenty Good." Or Farfel snapping his mouth shut after the Nestle (oops, we're not supposed to say that here :p) theme. Or "What do you want when you gotta have something, and it's gotta be sweet, and it's gotta be a lot, and you've only got a dime...? What do you want?" (Crackerjack)

...ah the commercials of my youth...

Ooo! Ooo! I want to play!

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? One, <slurp> Two, <slurp> Three, <crunch!!>. Three."

I think it was an owl that said all that. :p

I also loved the Tootsie Roll jingle, the one with the cartoon kids who saw everything as made from Tootsie Rolls. Remeber that one?

Mamasue
04-11-2002, 05:06 PM
You know something....I think this thread will go on living much longer than the "killer thread". That one seems to be slowing dying. :)

LaraW
04-11-2002, 05:08 PM

I also loved the Tootsie Roll jingle, the one with the cartoon kids who saw everything as made from Tootsie Rolls. Remeber that one?

.....Whatever it is I think I see becomes a Tootsie Roll to me.....

:D :D :D

I can remember this, but somehow I can't remember to go to the bank.:rolleyes:

lisas3575
04-11-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by LaraW

.....Whatever it is I think I see becomes a Tootsie Roll to me.....

:D :D :D

I can remember this, but somehow I can't remember to go to the bank.:rolleyes:

That's it!! That's it! Thanks, you made my day, Lara! :D

LaraW
04-11-2002, 05:14 PM

That's it!! That's it! Thanks, you made my day, Lara! :D

Well, you know, anything I can do to help!

Now I'm going to have this song running through my head. Thanks a lot. :p Plus, I think you gave me your eye twitch!:eek:

04-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Gail,

Back to the mysterious flavor straws... they were definitely straws with some sort of coating inside the straw. Fizzies were and are entirely different. Fizzies make me think of flavored Alka-Seltzer.

I went to Bancroft !
Miranda

JHolcomb
04-11-2002, 05:58 PM

Yes! My favorite snack in 3rd grade. I liked the butterscotch ones.

You didn't make it up!

You have no idea how happy you have made me. Even my mom didn't remember buying these (I would have blocked giving my kids pudding roll ups out of my head too). They came in an opaque white wrapper. Woohoo! They do exist.

And in North Carolina, candy cigarettes still exist. Though they're smokeless these days.

And my sister KILLED MY PET GOLDFISH by feeding it Big League Chew

Wendy w
04-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Auuugh! Shake-shake-shake a pudding! Good n Plenty, Good n Plenty. They had Good n Fruity too! My Grandma had a thing for Beeman's gum.

How about Hot Tamales, Mike and Ike's and Frosted Shake?

Barrie
04-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by funnybone
... However, my all time favorite was the MacIntosh Toffee from Rowntree. It's in the red box with a bit of plaid on the side, I believe. You had to whack it before you ate it so it broke into many pieces. How I loved that stuff!!!

I love that stuff! I'm from Michigan and whenever I'd go to Canada I'd always bring back a few boxes of that toffee. So good!

Here's something that I'm surprised no one has mentioned. When I was a kid my mom used to buy these things that I think were called Food Sticks - by Pillsbury maybe? They were in the cereal aisle, and they were boxes with maybe 6 or 8 pouches and each pouch contained two of these things that looked like long, skinny Tootsie Rolls. I loved the peanut butter flavor.

Another favorite oldie of mine were these snowman-shaped ice cream bars. I would always eat the top of his red hat and the tips of his brown bowtie first!

VictoriaL
04-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Barrie

Here's something that I'm surprised no one has mentioned. When I was a kid my mom used to buy these things that I think were called Food Sticks - by Pillsbury maybe? They were in the cereal aisle, and they were boxes with maybe 6 or 8 pouches and each pouch contained two of these things that looked like long, skinny Tootsie Rolls. I loved the peanut butter flavor.

Check out my "remember this" (previous page, I think) Could we be talking about the same thing? Space Food Sticks?
These were in the cereal aisle too, and I think that they did come in peanut butter!

kimmurphy94
04-11-2002, 08:17 PM
And, there's been a lot of talk about Ding Dongs and Ho-Hos -- was anyone here a fan of Ring Dings and Yodels?

I think Ring Dings and Yodels are an East Coast thing because I never heard of those until I moved to NYC. In the mid-west it was only Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs!

But does anyone remember Dolly Madison snack cakes? I don't think I ever tried them, but I always remember seeing them advertised during the Charlie Brown specials. They always looked so good and I can remember wanting them real bad!

AndreaU
04-11-2002, 08:21 PM
KimMurphy- you're thinking of Zingers! They still make them- chocolate, "yellow" and raspberry/coconut (my personal fave).

kimmurphy94
04-11-2002, 08:23 PM
Yes! That's it - Zingers! Now I remember. Still would like to try them, though I'm afraid I'd be disappointed!

Canice
04-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by VictoriaL

Check out my "remember this" (previous page, I think) Could we be talking about the same thing? Space Food Sticks?
These were in the cereal aisle too, and I think that they did come in peanut butter!

For sure, you're both thinking of Space Food Sticks: I mentioned them last night in the context of Tang - the *beverage* of choice among astronauts;) Also those funky, sorta creamy popsickle-y things called Missiles. Perhaps Apollo-inspired foods of the late 60s is a genre unto itself? And thank you to those of you who disabused me of the notion that I'd *imagined* shake-shake-shake-shake-shaaaaaaaake-a-pudin!

PS: My mom was one of the few who actually bought those sugary breakfast cereals....AND she worked outside the home, so you know what that meant: When I was 11 years old my friends would come over after school -- and eat Count Chocula and Fruity Pebbles!

knunes
04-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Gail,
When you mentioned the Good n' Plenty commericial, I got a vision of Choo-Choo Charlie. I think he was the kid, wasn't he?

sassysu3
04-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Wasn't a fan of Good 'n Plenty...there was something else, same shape, that I remember getting instead...Juju Beads? Any recollection of those. Actually Black Jack gum came to mind...yuck on that too!
sassysu3

04-11-2002, 10:13 PM
You might be thinking of Jujubes. I sure remember them. They are still made by the Heidi cand company.

I found the following description at foodtv.com. Is this what you remember?

Remember jujubes, those tiny, chewy, multicolored candies with a stained glass translucence? They made jellybeans seem wimpy. Jujubes were great; they lasted almost as long as the movie.

sassysu3
04-11-2002, 10:40 PM
MWS~yup, thems the ones...and that's when we usually had them, at the movies.
Boy, that just brought up memories of my parents taking us kids to the drive-in...we got to go in our PJ's! There was a little playground right in front of the screen, just below it. We would play on it before the movie started. Mostly got pop corn and a coke at those movies.
sassysu3

memartha
04-12-2002, 04:42 AM
OMG I completely forgot about those... what the @#*& was my mother thinking... she fed us every "astronaut" food made, between the TANG, Breakfast Squares, and Space Food Sticks. I wonder what snacks MY kids will shudder about in 30 years!

Peggy C.
04-12-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by memartha
OMG I completely forgot about those... what the @#*& was my mother thinking... she fed us every "astronaut" food made, between the TANG, Breakfast Squares, and Space Food Sticks. I wonder what snacks MY kids will shudder about in 30 years!

Oh your Mother was thinking alright, but after you begged and pleaded for the thousandth time she finally gave in! And to top it all off you probably hated them and there is still 1/2 a box in the back of her cupboard! OMG, I just turned into my mom!;) :confused: :o :D

Jessica
04-12-2002, 07:22 AM
Gertdog--I miss Jello pudding pops, too.

mochadelsol
04-12-2002, 08:02 AM
One year my mom decided to turn totally healthy in a rather odd way. We went from having a full healthy breakfeast to being served a handful of vitamins w/ juice. Our dinners were made w/ wheat pasta, no sugar etc... to this day I have a hard time taking vitamins.

knunes
04-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Mamasue

As a small girl I can remember that we had a Milkman who delivered milk about twice a week. That was when the cream was at the top of the glass bottle of milk and Mom would skim it off to use for special times. We also had a Breadman.

Looks like I might be the thread killer here because I am always late for these chats! :)

We had a bread man, a milk man, and a soda man! The soda man was from White Eagle soda company and he used to deliver cases of big glass bottles of soda---you got to pick the flavors (I recall always choosing grape, orange and lemon lime).
As an adult, I was thrilled to learn that I can STILL get my milk delivered in glass bottles by a milk man! We've been doing it for years. It's delivered the day after it's bottled and is so fresh and yummy that I hadn't realized I liked milk until we started doing this!

kimmurphy94
04-13-2002, 02:07 PM
DH wanted to get his vote in for Circus Peanuts! I've never been a big fan (yuck!), but I haven't seen these mentioned yet!

boisewinesnob
04-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Well, I think I have read every post and nobody has mentioned my favorite :( .
I used to love Yum Yums. They were kind of a cookie, I think and were actually very similar to the girl scout cookies called Samoas. They had caramel and chocolate and coconut.
It's probably a good thing I can't find them....I'd eat the whole box :eek: !

Suzy

Oh yeah....since I'm so late on this thread I'm sure it'll be dead now :p

ebobbitt
04-13-2002, 09:40 PM
Thinking about Yum Yums makes my mouth water. They are the best. I haven't thought about them in ages.

JennieL
04-14-2002, 09:21 AM

Me too! Lik-M-Aid at swim meets and powdered Jello, which we used to sneak to school in empty pill bottles!

Hoosier65
04-14-2002, 10:20 AM
I LOVE Circus Peanuts. And Orange Slices!

jpap
04-14-2002, 01:33 PM
I can't believe noone has mentioned sugar daddy and sugar babies . Also we used to go to Hickory Farms at the mall and get candy that was flavored like drinks: whisky sour , slow gin fizz. Of course we thought were sooo cool. How about clove gum anyone remember this?

Canice
04-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Yah, I remember clove gum! Was it Beechnut? They also made licorice gum and another spice-type flavor, I think. Also, Reeds (similar to LifeSavers) had lots of spicey flavors, though I liked rootbeer.
In the late 60s/early 70s my mom always kept a yellow box of Chicklets in her purse; I bought the paper packet of teeny-tiny fruit-flavored ones. I remember I always choked on the them!

mochadelsol
04-14-2002, 02:43 PM
:D Growing up in Orange County, Calif. there was this truck the Helm's man that drove up and down the streets, he had either a horn he tooted or music I can't remember which. But he sold fresh donuts, he would pull out these wide drawer and there were the best donuts ever. He also sold bread and a few other items. One time my mom took my dad's stash of buffalo nickles to buy bread etc.. boy was he just alittle upset!!. Anyways this sure is fun remembering all this sugar:p I use to love sugar babies!!!

Gail
04-14-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by mochadelsol
:D Growing up in Orange County, Calif. there was this truck the Helm's man that drove up and down the streets, he had either a horn he tooted or music I can't remember which...

He had a distinctive horn. And I'm sorry you weren't here when MWS and I were talking about him on the page before this one.

...speaking of which, we had a field trip to Helm's Bakery when I was in the second grade. Would you believe I got sick that day and couldn't go to school? I was devastated! Fortunately, a friend brought me a doggie bag with a doughnut, mini bread loaf and some other goodie...

jrichards
04-14-2002, 05:33 PM
OK, I remember the name of sugar babies/daddy, but I can't recall what they were. Please fill me in.

Jennifer

ebobbitt
04-14-2002, 08:25 PM
Sugar babies were really chewy, caramelly (?), round candies. They were about the size of jellybeans. Sugar daddys were suckers of the same kind of candy but they were harder than the little chewy candies. Both were really good. Before I got my braces I had to have spacers between my teeth for about a week. I remember eating the sugar babies one morning at the bus stop and several of the spacers were pulled out by the candy.

knunes
04-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Yah, I remember clove gum! Was it Beechnut? They also made licorice gum and another spice-type flavor, I think.
Yes, I remember the clove and licorice gums. Were they Beeman's perhaps? Was the spice-type flavor you're thinking of Clark's Teaberry gum? I recently bought a package (of many 15 stick packages) of the Teaberry gum from the Wireless catalog----another of those nostalgic moments that would have been better left a flavor memory!

msbeehavn
04-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Like everyone else has said...What a great thread! I was going thru everyone's posts thinking I remember that, I remember that!
Here's one I don't think anyone mentioned...what about Jolly Rancher's fire sticks?? I think they came in a bunch of other flavors such as watermelon, green apple, etc... My DB just commented, what about Bit O Honey? I have a quick story about the candies called Walnettos someone mentioned...my brother and I were home alone one day and found what we thought was the mother lode of Walnettos in a box in the cupboard. We unwrapped the little squares intent on enjoying a couple without mom finding out! They were just nasty tasting! Come to find out we had come upon my mom's box of "AYD'S" , which at that time were supposed to help curb your appetite and help you to lose weight. They looked exactly like the Walnetto candies!!

Thanks for the memories to you all!! :) :) :)

Wendy w
04-14-2002, 09:56 PM
:D Growing up in Orange County, Calif. there was this truck the Helm's man that drove up and down the streets, he had either a horn he tooted or music I can't remember which.

As a lifelong native of OC, I remember the Helm's commercials on tv when I was a kid and always wished that they didn't come to my neighborhood in Tustin.

I forgot about Space Food Sticks and my Grandma used to chew Beeman's gum. I loved the Jolly Rancher cinnamon and sour apple sticks. They still make the small candies though.

mochadelsol
04-15-2002, 12:07 AM
Thank you Gail & Wendy for posting about the helm's man, in the 22 years I've lived in the NW I have never talked to anyone that knew the Helm's man. May I ask which part of O.C. you both came from? I lived in Garden Grove. :)

04-15-2002, 12:42 AM
mochadelsol,

I have lovely memories of the Helm's bakery. I still have the doll that came on top of one of my birthday cakes that came from the Helm's wagon. I wonder if you or Gail remember the nut chews? They were similar to a blondie, chewy, full of nuts and topped with powdered sugar.

I grew up in the heart of Hollywood, near Western and Santa Monica. The Helm's man and the bakery treats live in my memory!

Do any of you remember Delaware Punch? There seemed to be alot more sodas when I was growing up. Some of the ones I remember are Delaware Punch, Orange Crush, Nehi Grape, and Squirt.

Canice
04-15-2002, 02:11 AM

Yes, I remember the clove and licorice gums. Were they Beeman's perhaps? Was the spice-type flavor you're thinking of Clark's Teaberry gum? I recently bought a package (of many 15 stick packages) of the Teaberry gum from the Wireless catalog----another of those nostalgic moments that would have been better left a flavor memory!

knunes, you are right on the mark -- Beeman's it is! Holy mackeral, I never in a zillion years would have arrived at "Clark's Teaberry" gum, but I think that's it!
And msbeehavn: Jolly Ranchers (fire sticks, grape, green apple, lemon, watermelon, etc.) were the BEST! My local office services shop keeps a little dish of the bite-size pieces on hand, but I remember buying the actual "sticks" at 7-11 on my way to the Little League games at my grammar school. A grape stick could take you through the entire game......
And MWS: How about a nice Hawaiian Punch -- POW!

lsdesign
04-15-2002, 08:03 AM
I grew up in suburban Detroit and we had all of the stuff you Californians had as well. Didn't have the bakery truck but had a Mr. Softee truck that came around with soft ice cream and candy. Does any one remember the "Bun" candy bar? Square, came in maple and vanilla flavors with nuts? I wish for a box of Whip and Chill as I am writing this. One last thing, how about the cereal with the freeze-dried strawberries? This must of been a product of the space program craze in the 60's as well.

little_bopeep
04-15-2002, 01:33 PM
I lived in Garden Grove. :)

Sorry for butting in here, but I lived in Garden Grove in 1962. I think we lived on Louise Street, but that's probably a parking lot now. :p

Susan

Gail
04-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Thank you Gail & Wendy for posting about the helm's man, in the 22 years I've lived in the NW I have never talked to anyone that knew the Helm's man. May I ask which part of O.C. you both came from? I lived in Garden Grove. :)

MWS and I are LA babies. :) I guess my area would be called The Miracle Mile district-- walking distance from Farmer's Market and the Tar Pits.

MWS,

Delaware Punch, now that you mention it, sounds familiar. My mind did a seach and came up with the result "delicious," but I can't honestly say I remember the stuff. Apparently, I liked it, whatever it was... In West LA, there's a place called The Wine House (they sell wines online, but I go there to shop). Happy to report they actually still carry Grape Nehi (I bought one, as a matter of fact, a few months back), Squirt and Orange Crush. Wonder if Delaware Punch is still around to satisfy my new-found curiosity...

...as for the nut chews, I'm really not much of a candy or nut fan. Never have been.

Wendy w
04-15-2002, 02:09 PM

I grew up in Tustin. I remember Orange crush and Delaware Punch. I even got to tour the Hawaiian Punch factory one summer when I was in day camp. it smelled so good in there!:D

mochadelsol
04-15-2002, 06:50 PM
I fondly remember lemon drops, shaped like a lemon with alittle sugar on the outside. I use to visit an elderly lady in our neighbor hood when I was just alittle girl and she always gave me lemon drops from a beautiful crystal dish.

Susan: I lived at the end of Chapman Ave and went to Bixbi Elem. school in 62 I would have been in 2nd grade. I remember all the orange groves and strawberry fields. And of course the beach!!

Remembering soda pops: Fresca, Diet Rite, Squirt, and yes Nehi grape!!!:p

Wendy w
04-15-2002, 08:11 PM
Mochadelsol,

What a small world!!! My Dad (divorced parents) used to live in your old neighborhood from 1968-72 on Santa Barbara around the block from the old Thriftimart. Do any of you "more mature" Californians remember those? They used to gave gargantuan red T's on them that you could see for miles! I used to spend the summer with him and go to the park at the end of Chapman and shop at the Eastgate Center. I believe that the park was also named Eastgate as well. The Thrifty drugstore had a diner/soda fountain in it and Dad used to love to go for sundaes there.

We used to go around the block to the dairy in Cypress and buy fudgsicles. Dad loved all types of ice cream but especially those. Anyway, those were the best summers of my childhood.

Speaking of Cypress, my hairdresser's family used to own a chicken ranch on the site that is now Cypress College.

mochadelsol
04-15-2002, 09:41 PM
:cool: Hi Wendy, this is so cool. I've been trying to remember the name of the park and here you knew it!!!! I lived in that track from K-12. The park was awesome, we would climb the trees play football, baseball, tag and best of all during the summer the park would play films outdoors. Some of the best days of my life were spent living in Eastgate. We lived in two different houses first on St. Mark, then Tunstell which would have run though the middle of the park. I remember where Santa Barbara was. Oh my gosh the Thifty Drug store, so many rootbeer floats and the biggest and best hot fudge sundae's. I remember the Dairy (drive thru) and oh the Chicken farm:p . This is so cool to hear about all this, I haven't spoken to anyone from around there for a very long time. Thank you for sharing you have made my heart all warm and fuzzy.

linda

BarbaraL
04-15-2002, 10:38 PM
I liked Teaberry gum. They had great ad -- people did the "teaberry shuffle" to a song played on a trumpet!

For Good 'N Plenty -- Charlie says, Love that Good N Plenty! Charlie says, really rings the bell (ding!)
Charlie says Love that Good 'N Plenty
Don't know any other candy that I love so well.

There was also a candy similar to Good N Plenty called Good N Fruity (my brother liked those).
I can't believe I remember this stuff! Guess I'm unmasking myself -- despite my love of Cooking Light, I'm a candy/junk food junkie at heart. Can't imagine getting so nostalgic for Foxy lettuce ads!

little_bopeep
04-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by sassysu3
:eek: Yipes! Stripes! Beech Nut's got'em!

You'll never tickle MY tongue, zebra!

Luuuuuuved that commercial when I was a kid....:p

04-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Lindy and Wendy,

I use to hang out at the Thrifty's fountain near my house, too. I remember those hot fudge sundaes, strawberry shortcake with vanilla ice cream and flavored Cokes. Didn't Thrifty's have pictures of these items around the fountain? It is so nice to remember these things.

I wonder if any drugstores still have fountains/counters, certainly not around where I live.

Miranda

Gail
04-16-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Wendy w
Mochadelsol,

... from the old Thriftimart. Do any of you "more mature" Californians remember those? ...

Oh, hell, Wendy--

Why don't you just get out with it and say, "Hey, Gail-- you old goat....!"

Yes, I remember Thriftimart with the giant T, though we didn't have any in the neighborhood where I grew up. I recall there was one on PCH in the Torrance/Redondo Beach area, in my neighborhood now.

Wendy w
04-16-2002, 02:57 PM

Oh, hell, Wendy--

Why don't you just get out with it and say, "Hey, Gail-- you old goat....!"

Sorry Gail...perhaps I should have phrased it better and asked if any one remembers.

Linda, was glad to give you the warm fuzzies.

Gail
04-16-2002, 04:38 PM
Wendy,

...after all this time, you're taking me SERIOUSLY??
Mustn't forget my smilies next time...

Wendy w
04-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Gail, I usually understand you but I have been having a hormonally challenged day and my humor is a bit off.

Canice
04-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Has Quisp cereal showed up on this thread anywhere??
I just saw the little pink propeller-headed guy on chowhound.com I used to love those commercials! Quisp and his rival, Quake

lsdesign
04-18-2002, 07:32 AM
Quisp is in my local market and I buy it for the kids from time to time.

Jewel
04-18-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lsdesign
Quisp is in my local market and I buy it for the kids from time to time.

I could repeat this sentence but substitute 'husband' for 'kids'. :rolleyes: He's been crazy about that cereal since he was a kid and was doing a Happy Dance around the living room when he read they were bringing it back! He went right out and bought 10 boxes the first time he saw it. He actually mailed a box to each of his three brothers across the country because he was so excited that their childhood favorite was actually in the stores again.

Come to think of it, we can just let that statement stand as is..."Quisp is in my local market and I buy it for the kid from time to time." :rolleyes:

56grapeape
04-19-2002, 02:10 AM
ok, what about Cracker Jacks? I always remembered the prizes inside, and i always liked getting the little red fish that moves when you lay it on your hand!

Also I remember going w/my friend on a bike ride downtown to the candy stores (1980s) to get Corn Nuts.

I also loved the Smarites lollipops, that were big "suckers* of two colored parts, and the hadnle/stick was a white plastic "straw"! I recently have found these at Rite Aid (they also carry alot of nostalgic candy!)

Remember blurberry bubble yum? My brother always got it, and it turned your mouth blue!

I grew up on Tang! rofl! though have never bought it since!
ALso all the Hostess cakes! Still like them, but too $$ to buy now days.

I also liked the Big League bubble gum in a pouch! Still like it!!

Now and Laters, and those chewy sour candies that were big round disks (not sweet tarts) (late 80s) i liked the apple ones!

Sugar Daddy pops, loved them! But not now, WAY to sweet and tooo chewy! They'll pull a tooth out! ;)

i just recently had my 1st Chunky! I liked it!!

loved the pop rocks, fizz candy, and those dip sticks in powder.
and licorice that you can chew the ends off of and use as straws!

still love good n plenty and the mixed bags of licorices (Gpa memories!)

Anyone ever have Dry pink popcorn, real sugery type of popcorn? (Utah thing i think?) another fav memory of my Gpa.

Whatchamacallits, and baby ruths!
I also remember those coke jelly bottles! just rememberd them reading here! ;)
and the ring pops! Favs at baseball games!

(we ate alot of candy growing up, i still do! eeek!)

I also LOVED Cookie Crisp cereal!! Not now though! and HoneyComb.

Gosh this is getting LONG! What a FUN post!

OH! i too remember that Freshen Up Gum!! I LOVED the rootbeer and spearmint kinds!! It was my treat to have mine saved up till school was out and for the walk home! hehe (though now they dont put much liquid inside!)

well i better get! my teeth hurt just posting! lol!
had fun reading all the replies!!
rachelle

:)

AD
04-19-2002, 09:09 AM
I'm too young to have much experience with a lot of the older discontinued products, but I do remember some favorites that are no longer made.

In the late 80's, I loved a "diet" candy (even though I was only 5 or 6) called Figurines. I believe Pillsbury made them. It was like a chocolate bar I think but came in several other flavors. Also, I was the only kid in kindergarten who liked Bran Buds cereal.

Later, around the early 90's, Betty Crocker made two things I loved: Soda-Licious (like various soda flavored, bottle-shaped gumdrops) and Incredi-Bites (bite-size granola pieces with a vanilla sandwich-like filling).

dulcecoeur
04-19-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 56grapeape

Anyone ever have Dry pink popcorn, real sugery type of popcorn? (Utah thing i think?) another fav memory of my Gpa.

I remember that stuff - I think there is an elephant on the box? Maybe I am mixing my memories now, but I definitely can remember the pink popcorn thing! I'm up in Canada, so we evidently had it here too.

Canice
04-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by AD
I loved a "diet" candy (even though I was only 5 or 6) called Figurines. I believe Pillsbury made them. It was like a chocolate bar...

Ay! Figurines! I seem to remember the commercial, featuring a svelte woman in a long satiny dress and "Figurines" sung to the tune of "Tangerine"....

claire797
04-19-2002, 12:29 PM
OMG! I totally forgot about Figurines. As a little kid, I always remembered how delicious they looked on TV and wondered why my mom didn't buy them. I just didn't understand the concept of "Diet" food.

Things changed when I was a teenager. I packed them in my lunch a couple of times. I still remember how they taste. Not bad, but not particularly good. They had a funny smell too....

AndreaU
04-19-2002, 03:45 PM
56grapeape: As for the fortune telling fish, I bought them (from Oriental Trading Company) recently for my 5th grade students... they absolutely love them! If I knew they'd be that entertained by a red fish-shaped piece of cellophane, I'd have bought them months ago!!

dcornelius
04-20-2002, 02:30 AM
My Grandma used to buy me the candy buttons! The little sugary dots on the paper that got wadded up in your mouth! Why did we love those so much...? Was it just cause they came from one of our favorite people in the whole world?
Ok, this one wasn't candy or even food but I have to know if anyone remembers this... this one might date you a bit....
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy was he? It was a bear shaped soap that when you got it wet it would bubble up and when it dried it looked like it had hair! It was actually only dried bubbles but it was so cool! Later they made other animals but
fuzzy Wuzzy was the original!

claire797
04-20-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by dcornelius

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy was he? It was a bear shaped soap that when you got it wet it would bubble up and when it dried it looked like it had hair! It was actually only dried bubbles but it was so cool! Later they made other animals but

I have to find a Fuzzy Wuzzy now! That's my daughter's nickname :)

knunes
04-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 56grapeape

I've always lived in Massachusetts and I remember that dry pink popcorn. Wasn't it like a pink popcorn ball?

knunes
04-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by dcornelius
this one might date you a bit....

I do remember this! Maybe you would remember Soakies then? "Soakies soak you clean
and every girl and boy
gets a toy when it's empty
when it's empty it's a toy!"
It was bubble bath in containers designed like cartoon characters. The heads came off and the cover of the bubble bath was underneath . I saved all of mine and still have them! To let you know how old they are, the cartoon characters were Casper the Friendly Ghost, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, etc.!
It is so cool to get all these nostalgic feelings from this thread!

AndreaU
04-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Here's another for anyone who grew up in the late 60's and the 70s... Funny Face Drink mix. Kind of like Kool Aid but the flavors all had silly names like Goofy Grape, Rootin Tootin Raspberry, and Choo-choo cherry.

Here are a few links to jog your memory...

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/prem04.jpg

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/prem20.jpg

(I was always jealous of my cousins because they had ALL the Funny Face mugs... hey, I was only 7!)

lsdesign
04-21-2002, 10:11 AM
I remember, I remember, we had two mugs "Freckle Face Strawberry" and "Goofy Grape". Freckle Face was mine since I had and still do a freckle face.

How about this along the similar lines. Do you remember SQUEETERS? This was a device that you put into an orange, squish the orange and then drink the juice from the spout. I think my mom had to send away for them.

Gail
04-21-2002, 11:33 AM
Okay.

I'll see your Funny Face drinks and Soakies and raise you Metrecal and Sego! (Metrecal may be misspelled. I was a kid after all...)

(and now I'm going to be humming the Soakies song all day)

JHolcomb
04-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by AndreaU
Here's another for anyone who grew up in the late 60's and the 70s... Funny Face Drink mix. Kind of like Kool Aid but the flavors all had silly names like Goofy Grape, Rootin Tootin Raspberry, and Choo-choo cherry.

Here are a few links to jog your memory...

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/prem20.jpg

(I was always jealous of my cousins because they had ALL the Funny Face mugs... hey, I was only 7!)

While Funny Face passed me by by a couple of years, the comment about the mugs reminded me of devotedly collecting the Smurfs and Care Bear glasses from Pizza Hut (or was it Hardees?). My grandma still has some of them.

knunes
04-21-2002, 04:54 PM
Okay.

I'll see your Funny Face drinks and Soakies and raise you Metrecal and Sego! (Metrecal may be misspelled. I was a kid after all...)

Wasn't Metrecal some sort of diet milkshake or something, in a can? But you win with Sego, because I don't recall anything about that!

dcornelius
04-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Oh my gosh! I remember funny face drink mix!!!! You are so awsome! This is such a cool thread! And soakies! :D :D :D :D don't ya just love to remember silly little things like this, the things that gave you so much pleasure when you were so little. The small stuff that could make you so happy. Thanks for starting this one!

little_bopeep
04-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Ah, the power of suggestion. :D I went to breakfast with my guys today at Cracker Barrel, and lo and behold, they have Walnettos! Well, since y'all have been yappin' about 'em all this time, I had to buy some. All I have to say to you people now is "Thank you, very much. A new vice for me!" These monkeys are yummy....and no one else in my family likes them. More for me!

Canice
04-21-2002, 07:15 PM
All this talk about sugary drinks and snax makes me want to reach for my Snoopy Toothbrush:p

"Brushing right makes your smile bright, with your Snoopy Toothbrush!"

kimmurphy94
04-21-2002, 09:06 PM
"Brushing right makes your smile bright, with your Snoopy Toothbrush!"

I remember the jingle!

"Brusha Brusha toothbrush....
Before you go to bed...
Start your day, the Snoopy Brusha Brusha toothbrush way!"

OMG, I sing that all the time to my kids when they brush there teeth. I had no idea where I was remembering it from, until you mentioned that!

Gail
04-21-2002, 11:29 PM

Wasn't Metrecal some sort of diet milkshake or something, in a can? But you win with Sego, because I don't recall anything about that!

VERY GOOD! Sego came out shortly thereafter as its competition.
Now that I've been singing the Soakies song all day, I've decided to move onto the BoscoNova.

...Bosco... Bosconova... Bosco.... Bosconova....
Flavor and fun for everyone
Flavor and fun for everyone
Do the Bosconova with Bosco
Together with the twist. :D

56grapeape
04-22-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by dulcecoeur

I remember that stuff - I think there is an elephant on the box? Maybe I am mixing my memories now, but I definitely can remember the pink popcorn thing! I'm up in Canada, so we evidently had it here too.

Hmm, i really have no clue. BUT, i do remember it being in a "long/tall" clear bag. no box.??

my mom has a recipe for it, but its just not the same.
;)

56grapeape
04-22-2002, 12:50 AM

I've always lived in Massachusetts and I remember that dry pink popcorn. Wasn't it like a pink popcorn ball?

Uh, cant recall it being in a ball form. Just that it was so dry that it didnt really stick together. it was loose in a bag.

lsdesign
04-22-2002, 07:00 AM
Just think though, Funny Face drinks would never happen in just the way they did in the 60s. Too PC incorrect with the American Indian and Chinese characters. I'm glad I have lived a part of life before the PC police took over.

Gilgamesh37
04-22-2002, 08:45 AM
I'll have you know that I still have my Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry mug. For a while it was in the back of my car and one day my (now ex) husband picked it up and said "What's this? Why do we have this rolling around the car?" And I snatched it from him with a cry of "Give me that! " and stalked off. Ah well, he can't be blamed, he grew up in Scotland, so how was he to know....? :D

dcornelius
04-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Thank goodness for innocence! Where has it all gone? "What the world needs now is love sweet love" ;)

matt
04-24-2002, 08:34 PM
Looking at these posts makes me feel my age more and more. Somebody mentioned foodsticks by pillsbury. when i was a kid i used to swipe those foodsticks for Dorito's especially the salsa ones. Does anybody remember the wax that had a liquid in them and you drank the liquid. Does anyone remember bubblaluscious (sp) or hubba bubba gum. Or Jollyranchers watermelon sticks, when i was a kid i used to put them in the freezer and let them sit for a couple of hours and put them in a cold glass of water and drink it. Hey your a kid remember. The one i thing most of us will remember is when kids would sell cinnamon toothpicks for .25. that is going back way way time.

see you later guys matt

SusieO
04-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Oh my gosh! I remember cinnamon tooth picks! Did we go to elementary school with the same young entrepreneurs? ;)

kimmurphy94
04-25-2002, 06:58 AM
I had a personal preference for Hubba Bubba over Bubblicious - The bubble were much bigger!:D I used to ride a mile on my bike to the only dime store which sold it -- AND, I never wore a helmet!:eek: