View Full Version : TEACHERS, can you help me??

04-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi! I am so confused by all the terms that are out there in the realm of education degrees. I'm sure they vary a bit state-to-state, but something has to remain vaguely similar, right? Can anyone explain to me the differences between:

Teaching Certificate
Teacing License
Master of Arts in Teaching
Master of Arts in Education
Master of Education

I'm ready to embark on a whole new career, but I'm so ... well, uneducated! :)

04-25-2002, 11:14 AM
how embarrassing is this?

I have an M.A.T. and I don't know the answer to your question.

I just got the degree because I wanted to get into the classroom and teach. I really never got into the theory or the technical side of the teaching profession.


anyone else know?


04-25-2002, 11:15 AM
I am sure others will be of more help than I will, but I can tell you that a Master's in Education or Teaching is advanced education, but licenses and certificates give you the right to teach in a certain state. You can have a M.Ed. or whatever, but still not have a certificate (like me) and that may limit your options when it comesto finding a teaching job. Most programs will help you get certification in the state where you are getting your degree, but if you move to another state you will have to apply for certification there, and will have to fulfill any of that state's requirements if they are different from the state where you first were certified.

Make any sense???

04-25-2002, 11:23 AM
ah yes, now I remember. that is a good explanation, Rebecca.

I seem to recall that you can have an MAT or MEd and teach without getting certified, but it is preferable to get certified.

The MAT program that I was in (at Duke) encouraged us to also apply for a license/certification and take the appropriate tests to get that license/certification. That way, we were more "marketable."

And even though most states overlap in their requirements for certification, you still do have to go through the paperwork to get certified if you move to another state.

04-25-2002, 11:45 AM
Certificate and License actually mean the same thing. It just depends on what the state wants to call it. And I can tell you that each state will have its own little quirk about handing out certificates. It is helpful if the state you are moving from has an reciprocal agreement with the one you are moving, but don't count on it! Most states will make you do fingerprints all over again (and it has to be done in the state you are applying. Plus you have to get official transcripts for all the school districts and the state. The whole procedure can be very expensive!

04-25-2002, 08:33 PM

I don't know how into your new career you are, but I'm just going to offer a bit of my own advice. Skip teaching and get a master's in Speech-Language Pathology! There is a HUGE demand for SLPs all over the country (and some outside this country, if you're interested). Also, this degree is SO much more flexible than a teaching degree, and with a bit of testing, you can get teaching certification too! With my degree as an SLP, I have taught in classrooms, in one-on-one and small group setting, I've worked in nursing homes and rehab hospitals, and I'm currently in private practice making LOTS more money than any of those settings, working with th 0-3 year old crowd. I advise any one I know who is interested in teaching to consider speech therapy instead. You can do all that you can with teaching, and SO much more!!

Good luck with your new venture!

04-25-2002, 08:38 PM
Just agreeing on what the others have said. It's really best to check with the state you're interested in teaching in. I know in many states you can actually get your certificate without actually having a masters. They just need you to take a few classes. Some states also have more lenient certification requirements based on what subject you want to teach. Massachusetts has a critical need for math and science teachers so the certification process is not as strict.