PDA

View Full Version : Seeking James Patterson....

AndreaU
05-02-2002, 05:05 PM
books, that is!

My goal this summer is to READ, READ, READ and then READ some more. I've read quite a few of his novels and I'd like to catch up with all those I've missed.

Does anyone have any or all of these they're willing to part with, preferably paperback? (I'd of course pay for them + shipping)

Midnight Club
Black Friday
Roses are Red
Cradle and All
Violets are Blue
First to Die

Thanks! :)

lisas3575
05-02-2002, 05:13 PM
I don't, but I'm always looking for new things to read! What do you like about him that's inspiring you to read all his books?

LaraW
05-02-2002, 05:16 PM
I know we have some of these at home - I'll look when I get home tonight.

If you like James Patterson, you should also try Jeffrey Deaver. He wrote a series that started with The Bone Collector, and then also wrote The Coffin Dancer and The Empty Chair. They are GREAT books!!!

kwormann
05-02-2002, 05:22 PM
He is my FAVORITE author! I usually sell what I read to Half Price books, so I only have the 2 I just finished:Hide and Seek and Kiss the Girls, and Cat and Mouse which is next on my list. Violets are Blue is my favorite so far! I wish I had started reading the Alex Cross series in order, but the first I read was Violets....I didnt care as much for Hide and Seek, but I think I have gotten so used to Det. Cross that I dont care much for books without him! I am anxiuos to read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas to see Patterson in a different light.

I guess to answer you question, I dont currently have any you requested, but if you have interest in the 3 I do have, you are welcome to them......

MaryH
05-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Sorry I don't have any to send, but my suggestion is check out your local library. When I'm on an author binge (yes, at one time I read ALL of Dean Koontz books - quite a few) I usually try there and put holds on the titles that aren't at the local branch. My library then notifies me when they come in.

AndreaU
05-02-2002, 07:24 PM
lisa- I guess I what I like is the thrill of a good suspense story. There's something about his novels that I just eat up- chapters are usually short, prompting me to read "just one more chapter" before I go to bed. Literally, I can't put the books down. The ones I've read were done in a matter of days.

kim- I started with Hide & Seek and got up to When the Wind Blows. I didn't read his first ones (Black Market & Midnight Club) because I started with what was currently the best seller. Roses are Red is the first book I didn't read & I haven't read any others after that one. Thanks for the offer anyway! :)

Lara- thanks for checking! I'll look into Jeffrey Deaver- I get into "author binges" so I might go there next.

MaryH- I never think to check the library- duh! I, too, had a Dean Koontz binge as well as a Richard North Patterson (no relation to James).

MaryH
05-02-2002, 07:55 PM
We must read the same books.

I tend to prefer Richard North Patterson. Would add to the list ... oh I'm having brain fade - character is Alex Delaware - psychologist - and the author's wife is also a best selling author. I'm sure it'll come to me later. Also, Robert Tannenbaum, Stephen King, and a whole bunch of others I can't remember right now.

Johnathan Kellerman - ha, I knew I'd remember it. Wife is Faye Kellerman. :cool: :cool:

kwormann
05-03-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by MaryH
We must read the same books.

I tend to prefer Richard North Patterson. Would add to the list ... oh I'm having brain fade - character is Alex Delaware - psychologist - and the author's wife is also a best selling author. I'm sure it'll come to me later. Also, Robert Tannenbaum, Stephen King, and a whole bunch of others I can't remember right now.

Johnathan Kellerman - ha, I knew I'd remember it. Wife is Faye Kellerman. :cool: :cool:

I also love Kellerman's Alex delaware!

KathrynY
05-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Andrea - definitely check the library! I've been reading James Patterson's books recently too - after Kim's recommendation on one of the book threads. (Thanks, Kim! ;) ) I've checked them out of the library, and find that for most titles they have multiple copies, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding the ones you want. I just checked out Kiss the Girls and Cat and Mouse yesterday :D .

sneezles
05-03-2002, 09:09 AM
Sorry but all mine are hardbacks (have been reading Patterson forever so I can't wait for it to come out in paper and Sam's books are pretty cheap). And his second in the series w/o Alex Cross is much much better than the first (sorry title secapes me just now).

I just finished Jeaffrey Deaver's new one (a Lincoln Rhyme story) called The Stone Monkey, it is very good and keeps you guessing all the way through.

BTW, John Sanford is another excellent author. His character is set in Minn/St Paul and all the titles have Prey in them.

little_bopeep
05-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Check www.half.com for pre-owned books. I've never been disappointed with the quality of the things that I've ordered from either them or eBay. :cool:

LaraW
05-03-2002, 10:39 AM
Ohhh, thanks Sneezles - I didn't know that Jeffrey Deaver had a new Lincoln Rhyme book out! I have a book to return to the library today and so I will see if they have that one too.

Funny story about "The Empty Chair" - I put this on reserve at the library a while ago, and it took a long time for it to come in. There must have been a long list. When I got the call from the library that my book was in, I had totally forgotten I even had a hold on a book, much less what the book actually was. They only hold it for a certain number of days, and I must have had something going on so I asked DH if he would pick it up for me. DH goes to the library and is messing around with the computer before he goes to pick up my book and thinks "Oh, I want to read that new Jeffrey Deaver book" and goes and puts a hold on "The EMpty Chair". Then he goes to pick up my book and guess what book it is: "The Empty Chair". We always laugh about getting such fast service from the library!!

Andrea, I don't have any of those books that you mentioned. His titles are so similar it is hard to remember which ones I have and don't have! Sorry :(

Lara

MaryH
05-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Will chime in again that I have read all the John Sanford books and they are also very good. There is another author - Ridley Peterson or Scott who has one out called the "Middle of Nowhere". Liked it so much that I went back and read all of his previous ones as well.

;) :p

Linda in MO
05-03-2002, 03:12 PM
I love James Patterson! I read a really good book a couple of months ago called Mercy by Julie Garwood. I really loved this book! Here is a link to it at amazon that will tell you what it's about. It got great customer reviews, too.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000667ET/qid=1020460115/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3931387-9127025
Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone was looking for a good book to read.