PDA

View Full Version : For Kellyray: Tomato Basil Pizza

lindrusso
06-02-2002, 10:45 AM
I can't post a reply to your thread, so I'm starting a new one. The board seems to be acting up a bit - this has happened with one other thread as well. Odd. Anyway....

Here it is! Fortunately I had the dough recipe in my Mastercook - that's a long one! :)

I make a similar pizza, but I use thinly sliced fresh tomatoes. I also take a few cloves of garlic and slice them thinly (instead of mincing) and place them on the pizza along with the tomatoes. As for cheese, I like to use either Parmesan or fresh mozzarella or both. YUM!

ALL-PURPOSE PIZZA DOUGH

1 package dry yeast (about 2╝ teaspoons)
1 1/4 cups warm water (100║ to 110║)
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water ina large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour and salt to yeast mixture, and stir well. Stir in 2 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes) and add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent the dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).

2. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85║), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Shape dough according to the recipe instructions (pizza, calzone, etc.)

3. Note: To freeze, let the dough rise once, punch down, and shape into a ball. Place in a heavy-duty ziptop plastic bag coated with cooking spray; squeeze out all air, and seal. Store in freezer for up to 1 month. To thaw, place dough in the refrigerator 12 hours or overnight. With scissors, cut away plastic bag. Place dough on a floured surface, and shape according to recipe directions. Alternatively, for pizza, you can make dough, roll out, wrap in foil, and freeze. To bake, remove from freezer; top and bake according to recipe instructions (no need to thaw).

4. Note: For pizzas, shape onto a 12-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Bake in an oven preheated to 400║ on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust and cheese are lightly browned. For calzones, divide dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 6-inch circle. Combine 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon of water and whisk together. Brush edge of each circle with egg mixture; reserve remaining egg mixture. Place 2/3 cup of cilling on half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border, and sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge over top edge; crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Place calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with reserved egg mixture. Bake at 450║ for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

TOMATO-AND-BASIL PIZZA

All-Purpose Pizza Dough
2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Cooking spray
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

1. Roll prepared dough into a 15-inch circle on a floured surface. Place dough on a 15-inch round pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place 20 minutes or until puffy.
2. Preheat oven to 450║.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sautÚ 30 seconds. Add tomaotes; cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
4. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Spread tomato mixture over dough, leaving a 1-inch border, and top with Gruyere, basil and Parmesan. Bake at 450║ for 15 minutes or until golden. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 slices).

Calories 547 (21% from fat); Fat 12.9g; Protein 21.7g; Carb 84.6g; Fiber 4g; Chol 29mg; Iron 5.8mg; Sodium 668mg; Calc 363mg.

Enjoy!

valchemist
06-02-2002, 11:57 AM
lindrusso,

I have noticed the board has been "acting up" too. I tried to post on a couple of threads, but was unable to do so.

val

kellyray
06-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Thank you so much! I can't wait to make this again!

helene
06-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the recipe,

cannot wait to try it.