PDA

View Full Version : Why does Aveda have to be so pricey!?

lisas3575
06-05-2002, 12:41 PM
In a moment of weakness my hairdresser sold me this and I love it:
http://www.aveda.com/whatsnew/images/controlPasteProd.jpg

But it's twenty-one American dollars! I can't afford to buy that on even a semi-regular basis. It should last me for a while, so that's a good thing....

I was using their Self Control stick (DH: "Why are you putting deodorant in your hair???? :D) at $16 and had to swallow hard to do that.

Does anybody have a similar pomade they use that's cheaper?

lorilei
06-05-2002, 12:45 PM
Lisa -
I'd love to come to your rescue, but I TOO have been reeled in by the Aveda line (pomade, self-control stick, shampoo)... and I can't find anything that works as well, smells as good, OR (most importantly) lasts as long as the Aveda products.

My self-control stick lasts for up to 3 months if I don't go "product crazy"... that's more than twice as long as comparable products. And a good big bottle of their shampoo last me upwards of 6-12 months! (that's with both me and my husband using it)

It's a sad addiction... I know. :o

Natasha
06-05-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by lorilei

My self-control stick lasts for up to 3 months

Gee, 3 months of self-control for $16 bucks? Sounds pretty cheap to me...does it work for diets, tempers, etc? :p

Sorry Lo - it had to be said. ;)

On topic, I feel the same way about a couple of Joico products. They also last a long time, though, so I just do it. I recently tried an Aveda shampoo that Lori recommended, and it also seemed worth the $. I figure an occasional indulgence like that is not too bad...right? Right?!?!

Natasha

Jewel
06-05-2002, 01:11 PM
I wish I could help, but I'm addicted to several 'pricey' professional hair products! I like the Matrix Biolage Hydrating Shampoo, the Light Detangling Conditioner, and the non-aeresol hairspray. I'm still desperately trying to find a gel or 'volumizer' that will help the curl/fluff factor without dulling my hair, that I can apply to my damp hair at the roots that won't make it too crunchy. So far I'm sort of liking Paul Mitchell 'Control Gel' but it's way weak. What exactly does Pomade do? Would it work for longish somewhat wavy/curly hair? :confused:

I also just became addicted to a new makeup called 'Bare Escentuals' and it is also pricey, but I figure it's the first makeup that is actually good for my skin, so I'm not going to worry about it! To quote Cybill Shepherd, "I'm worth it..." :p

RebeccaT
06-05-2002, 01:29 PM
I'm of no help either, since my hairdresser has sucked me in to using Bumble and Bumble products, and I am hoping to find something comparable in the less-expensive Aveda line! Oy!

So what's so great about this pomade? Does it have hold? Or is it one of those things that kind of clumps your hair together in a stylish way? DH uses John Frieda pomade I buy for him at the drugstore, and one tin of it lasts him for 9 months... maybe this stuff will last you so long that it's worth the expense???

Peggy C.
06-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Natasha

I figure an occasional indulgence like that is not too bad...right? Right?!?!

Natasha

Right! I can't help, I tried some cheaper lines, but had to come back to the Aveda anti humectant, and I haven't found another pomade that works better than self control, luckily the look I'm going with now doesn't require any self control! ;)

wallycat
06-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Have you tried any of the "Bed head" products?
They're not as expensive as Aveda, but still more than discount store stuff...they have the "deod." control stick too...

I try not to even LOOK at the pricey stuff because I know I'll have to have it. I try to make do with stuff available at the discount drug stores.
I'm hooked on Shiesido lipgloss/stick simply by "trying" it....
so I don't even ASK what my hairdresser uses......

jjsooner73
06-05-2002, 02:43 PM
I am a user of the Toni and Guy lines of products--there's the Bed Head and the Catwalk.
There's a store called Ulta here that carries their stuff and they usually have specials where you can buy something and get something free. That's how I rationalize buying it. Nevermind that I have about 2 years worth of shampoo/cond under my bathroom sink.

I like their Manipulator and Mastermind hair gook. They add texture, shine, lift...and smell good to!

lhall
06-05-2002, 03:05 PM
I like the Bed Head Manipulator, it's $16.00 here, but my old salon charged $20.00 for the same thing. I get my hair done intowwn (Atlanta), but there's a salon much much closer to the house that sells all the products I like so I just get my products there.

I also use Catwalk Thickening Conditioner and Textureline AeroMousse...all that and Pantene Clarifying Shampoo and Flexible Hold Hairspray.:rolleyes:

I wear Chanel makeup and ran out of 4 things in December. You don't want to know how much it was...at least they all lasttt 6M+

Leigh

Melman
06-05-2002, 03:35 PM
For everyone who likes the Aveda products, check your closest outlet mall and see if they have a store call The Cosmetics Company. That store only deals with Estee Lauder's companies like Clinique, Prescriptives, and, you guessed it, Aveda!! (I can't remember all the product lines but there are about 6 or 7 of them). They don't carry a terrific number of items in the more expensive lines, but check with them!! I've been watching these stores for almost a year for a couple of Prescriptives items and just found one when I was in northern Virginia. They sell the regular products at 20% off the regular price. With Aveda, that 20% off could be very helpful.

It wouldn't hurt to call. By the way, I'm not sure the next time I'll be in our closest store (it's just over 2 hours from here), but if anyone wants me to look for something, I'll be glad to check.

MKSquared
06-05-2002, 03:46 PM
My shampoo & conditioner are both Aveda ... they treat my hair beautifully. I've used a few of the Bed Head styling products:
Power Trip: My new favorite gel. (Jewel, you might want to give it a try.) It holds all day without being crunchy.
Headbanger - Way out Wax for All-Stars: It makes my hair do the piecey look that I want sometimes. Great to make my bangs chunky.
Manipulator: It smells like coconut; I remember taking it to Paris with me, and every time I smell it, I think of France. Anyway, it worked really well with my shortshort hair, but it's a little much for me now.
Mastermind - Bite Me! Hair Candy: This has the most wonderful grapefruity smell. It's next on my list to buy, but my stylist used it on my hair, and my hair just luuuuvvvved it. :)
Rubber Rage: I don't think I could ever buy it ... I blush just looking at its packaging! It's packaged to look just like acondom :eek: and when you turn the bottom to get more product ... well ... I couldn't ever use it. :eek: :eek:

I try to limit myself to 2 products every day ... don't let this list fool you! :)

http://www.tigilinea.com/products/

Laura B
06-05-2002, 04:22 PM
I am no help either! A new mall opened near me with a full Aveda store, and I STOCKED UP. Let's just say I thew out all the old and replaced it all with Aveda (and with some Origins stuff - I won't even start talking about Origins ;) )

Chefzhat
06-05-2002, 04:26 PM
If you like Aveda, try a companion company called PureHair - based on Aveda products but a bit cheaper. I love their stuff, and I'm an ex-Aveda user. I bailed on them when Estee Lauder bought them. PureHair is made by a company called Artec.

Just a suggestion . . .

aggie94
06-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Another non-helper. After years of paying for high-priced hair care products, I don't even blink an eye anymore to pay $40-50 for just shampoo and conditioner (thank God I don't have to use any other products). When it comes to stuff like that, I definitely think you get what you pay for.

To be completely honest, when you mentioned the prices in your post, I thought to myself, "Hey, that's not bad!" :rolleyes:

jj: I recently discovered ULTA when I moved back to Texas. I love it!!

sjs9601
06-05-2002, 05:07 PM
I used the 'control stick' by Aveda as well (and grumbled about the price) until I found hair nirvana. Silk Groom by Kiehl's (same price as the Aveda product) but it lasts twice as long. I can make a bottle last about 6 months or more. They sell it at Nordstrom's and their web site recently started selling on-line. I use the Artec products for shampoo / conditioner - they also sell the large containers (at the holidays they are a bargain). Figured if I spent all this money on getting a certain color I should be willing to keep it that way. So glad DH is happy with Suave products!

Jewel
06-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by MKSquared
Power Trip: My new favorite gel. (Jewel, you might want to give it a try.) It holds all day without being crunchy.

Thanks for the idea Mary Kate! I just called my local beauty supply! They have one Power Trip left and they put it on hold for me, along with a bottle of their new product Superstar which is a hair thickener! :D The saleslady said that both are awesome products! I'm picking both up this afternoon! Thanks again!

Natasha
06-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by lisas3575
In a moment of weakness my hairdresser sold me this and I love it:
http://www.aveda.com/whatsnew/images/controlPasteProd.jpg

But it's twenty-one American dollars!

Lisa,

I am so pleased that our Canadian influence has gotten to you, to the point where you specified that it was twenty-one American dollars! :D You are starting to sound like one of us! ;) :p Scary, EH?

Natasha

JHolcomb
06-05-2002, 07:40 PM
No help either. I use Aveda. I'm really picky about what goes on my hair because very few things that I've tried (and I've tried a lot) calm it down enough to make it do the spiral curly thing instead of the frizz thing. I use Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner, Be Curly styling stuff and occasionally anti-humectant (but even a little bit makes my hair really greasy) and one of their gels (the one in the clear and blue tube, a light/medium hold, smells great). My sister even complimented my hair after I started using it---said it looked perfect and wanted to know what I was doing to finally make it look good. And she used to tease the snot out of me because of my hair, so I figure $50 for hair stuff every couple of months is fine.

jjsooner73
06-05-2002, 09:01 PM
[Rubber Rage: I don't think I could ever buy it ... I blush just looking at its packaging! It's packaged to look just like acondom :eek: and when you turn the bottom to get more product ... well ... I couldn't ever use it. :eek: :eek:
[/B]

Oh my. I've used this stuff, and the condom analogy never crossed my mind! :) Now that I have this picture, I'm glad that i didn't like it and never purchased it again!!!!

Hmmm...looking at their website now. Check out the "After Party Smoothing Cream" packaging. :eek:

I've also used the "Headbanger Way out Wax for Rock Stars" and hated it! I couldn't wash the stuff out and it made my hair feel so dirty! Hmmm, I guess that goes along w/ the Rock Star look.

jjsooner73
06-05-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by aggie94
jj: I recently discovered ULTA when I moved back to Texas. I love it!!

Make sure you join their freqent shopper club! :) You get points for $ spent, and quarterly (if not more often) you get free stuff. It's not much, but it's still fun.
Last year before my company's Christmas party, I had enough points to get a free manicure (an indulgence I never splurge on). It's fuN!

aggie94
06-05-2002, 09:14 PM
Jennifer, I did sign up for the frequent shopper club the first time I went there. Unfortunately, since my hair is pretty short right now, I probably won't be buying enough stuff to get me anything free for awhile. :( But my hair's so thick that when it's long, I blow through products like crazy, so watch out! :D

slawrence
06-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I am addicted to Aveda as well. The rosemary mint shampoo is a good way to start my day. I love their smells--I love all their products!

RebeccaT
06-06-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by JHolcomb
I use Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner, Be Curly styling stuff and occasionally anti-humectant (but even a little bit makes my hair really greasy) and one of their gels (the one in the clear and blue tube, a light/medium hold, smells great).

Sounds like Brilliant. Jen, do you use the Be Curly and the gel together? Or do you use either one or the other? I am always on the lookout for curly hair products!

I really like the Brilliant shampoo, which smells just like the gel, and is GREAT on curls.

Jewel
06-06-2002, 10:09 AM
Just wanted to thank Mary Kate again for the heads-up <snort!> on Bed Head products! I picked up my two bottles on the way home from work yesterday and was in the shower within 10 minutes of pulling in my driveway! I know, if this kind of thing excites me so much I need to get out more. :rolleyes:

The clerk at the Beauty Supply told me that the Bed Head products fly off the shelves...they can't keep half the stuff in! I told her my problem with such thin and fine hair (when wet my ponytail is about the size of a dime) and she said I should love the new Superstar product 'for massive thick hair'. It coats the hair just enough to 'inflate' each strand (that's what the bottle says!) but it doesn't get sticky. The Power Trip gel she said would be my favorite gel of all time. She was right! :D

My hair is naturally kind of wavy, but thin and fine. It's layer cut all the way down to help the waves kick up into some kind of curl or body. It hangs to about 5" past my shoulders. If I use gel on the roots and mousse in my hair, the roots get crunchy and the mousse makes it heavy and dull. My 'style' can look really great for about 4 or 5 hours, but then it falls flat. One night sleeping on it and the next morning it's stringy. I only wash my hair every other day because it's so dry, and the second day it always got stringy. :( Power Trip gel went on the roots and immediately it felt different! It wasn't sticky and it didn't dry crunchy, but it was still firm. The Superstar liquid hair thickener says to work a 'generous amount' between your palms and fingers and distribute through your hair to the ends. Well who knows how much a generous amount is? I got a litte heavy-handed with that stuff. :o It worked REALLY well to thicken my hair, but I can feel the coating on my hair a bit too much this morning, so I think I was a tad too generous...but when I woke up my hair was SO not flat! :D So far I love BOTH products!!! They both smell good too! $12 for one and $13 for the other, and I know both will last at least 2 or 3 months.

And Mary Kate I saw the Rubber Rage while I was there. The clerk said she didn't like the stuff at all, it doesn't really do much except cost a lot of money and gross people out! ;)

lisas3575
06-06-2002, 10:14 AM
You guys aren't helping...... or are you???? :p :p :p

Jewel
06-06-2002, 10:55 AM

C'mon Lisa, it's only money!! :p And you're worth it! Don't believe those Suave commercials for a minute...you can tell the difference. ;) Do it...do it...do it...

jjsooner73
06-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Jewel-glad you like the Power Trip! That's another i use that forgot to mention.
I have very thick, very straight, and very fine hair. I've given up on ever having 'body' but have found that the Tigi products work well.
I recently started going to an Aveda salon and have yet to fall victim to more hair styling aids.

Keep on eye on the salons that carry Tigi products. They occasionally do package 2 or 3 items together in promotional packs, so that lessens the guilt (for me anyway) of the spending. THeir hairspray is also good. I rarely buy a single product anymore.

I have gotten several friends hooked on their products--most don't live here, but when they visit we have to go to ULTA so they can stock up.

MKSquared
06-06-2002, 11:37 AM
Jewel, I'm glad I could help! :)

Lisa ... if it makes you feel any better, the Bed Head stuff is at least easier to find than the Aveda stuff. This way, you spend less money on gasoline to get your hands on it ... :) But, as Jewel said, you really can tell a difference between the cheapo stuff and the expensive stuff. I figure, I'd keep buying products until I might happen upon one that works in the drug store, causing myself to lose money and suffer through innumerable bad hair days!!! Knowing that I have a product that is just right for me helps me to justify the expense. :)

I'll save my money by buying clothes at discounters -- but give me the good stuff for my hair! :)

Jewel
06-06-2002, 12:16 PM
I'll save my money by buying clothes at discounters -- but give me the good stuff for my hair! :)

I'll drive an extra 8 blocks to save 5 cents a gallon on gas and go to three different grocery stores to get the best deals on food, just so I can buy the good stuff for my hair and face! :D

wallycat
06-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Hey ...wait...
I brought up the bed head stuff FIRST!!!!!!!!!:( :mad: :mad: :confused:

MKSquared
06-06-2002, 07:08 PM
If it makes you feel any better wallycat, it was your post that prompted me to rave about the stuff. :) I'm sorry if you feel left out. And, if it assuages you even more, I feel slighted sometimes too, when my posts have been overlooked. ;) Remember the perpetual thread, "Typhoid Lisa?" Same thing. :)

Molli526
06-06-2002, 11:22 PM
They keep advertising this website here in Michigan. I checked out the prices and they are pretty good. I may have to try some new products :) I am so addicted!

hairproducts4less.com (http://hairproducts4less.com/)

Canice
06-07-2002, 12:06 AM

LOL!! :p :p
I was cracking up reading this thread! Practically every response starts, "I can't help you" -- but if you had said, "This recipe calls for truffle-scented vegetarian duck fat; what's a good substitute?" you probably would have gotten all kinds of helpful responses :p !

wallycat
06-07-2002, 09:06 AM
MKSquared,
that is so sweet to respond...I was only kidding--reeeaally...hard to convey that here sometimes. Sorry if it looked like I implied anything
:o

Jewel
06-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by wallycat
Hey ...wait...
I brought up the bed head stuff FIRST!!!!!!!!!:( :mad: :mad: :confused:

Whoops! :o You sure did!! :o Sorry Wallycat!! :D

wallycat
06-07-2002, 10:22 AM
aaaaaaaaaccckk.. ...I was just kidding.
Guess DH is right...I have no sense of humor. :confused:

Jewel
06-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by wallycat
aaaaaaaaaccckk.. ...I was just kidding.
Guess DH is right...I have no sense of humor. :confused:

You have a sense of humor, I've seen it!! :p It was the sad, mad, mad, confused icons that got me scared. You needed a winky in there... ;)