PDA

View Full Version : Homemade energy bars?

SusanMac
06-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any good homemade energy bar recipes. Looking for something with high fiber and fruit that will help me with running and DH with biking. We like store-bought energy bars, but they're expensive and I like to cook.

yorkshirepud
06-10-2002, 09:23 AM
I would be interested in this too. Bump! Bump!

YP

Natasha
06-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Hi Susan,

I had a recipe for energy bars from an old issue of Bicycling magazine. Actually, they were shaped into balls. Anyway, I'll try to find the recipe and post it if I can. :)

Happy training!

Natasha

clr
06-10-2002, 02:15 PM
I know there was something in CL a few years back. I only remember bananas. I'll try to remember to search for it at home tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

helene
06-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Try this one:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Marc's High Fiber Energy Bars

Recipe By :Jo Anne Merrill
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Breakfast Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups dried prunes -- pitted
2/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup margarine -- soft
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

* Substitute 1/2 cup dried apricots for half of the prunes if desired. Fiber content will remain about the same.

1. Combine prunes (and apricots if using) with the orange juice in a blender. Blend until almost smooth, scrapping down the sides of the blender a few times. Stir in the nuts; set mixture aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream the margarine, sugar and honey. Beat in the egg. Mix in flour, oats, wheat germ, baking soda and salt to blend thoroughly.
3. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Spread a little less than half of the flour mixture evenly in the pan. Spread the prune mixture evenly over the mixture in pan, keeping the prune mixture to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Crumble the remaining flour mixture over the top to cover the prune mixture. Pat down gently.
4. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 30-35 minutes or until browned and springs back to the touch.
5. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars about 1 by 2 inches each.

Yield: 48 bars.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 99 Calories; 4g Fat (35.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 85mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Keep these on hand for a healthy snack.

NOTES : My son Marc likes to carry these along with him when he goes trail biking.

SusanMac
06-10-2002, 06:00 PM
These look yummy, Helene. Thanks for posting. I hope to make some this week and will let everyone know how it goes. They look easy. (and, yes, we'll probably go with the apricot version. I have found dried plums on occasion at farmer's markets and they're yummy. Not a fan of the grocery store typical prunes though)

sharon kopenski
06-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Susan
If you make these, please bring them to our cooking light outing to American Players Theater. They sound good. Did you see the wine thread? Looks like a good one to try.

clr
06-11-2002, 10:46 AM
I've never tried these, so no promises. It is a CL recipe.

Banana-Nut Energy Bars
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup multigrain hot cereal (such as Quaker) or quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking Spray

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat first six ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until blended. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Gradually add flour, cereal, pecans and salt to banana mixture; stir until well blended. Spoon into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield 12 servings (serving size: 1 bar).

CAL 133 (24% from fat); FAT 3.6g (sat 0.5g, mono 1.7g, poly 1.1g); PROT 2.4g; CARB 24.4g; FIBER 1.6g; CHOL 18mg; IRON 0.8mg; SODIUM 106mg; CALC 10mg

SusanMac
06-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Sharon -- you're so funny. Were you planning on a big workout in Spring Green before the play :-)? It does look like a dessert, eh?

yorkshirepud
06-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Susan,

I just found these on a thread, they were posted by funnybone.

Home Energy Bar Recipies

These recipes are an inexpensive alternative to the pricy commercial energy bars, and will also taste better.

Oat Bars

The odd ingredient in the bar, paraffin, is widely used in chocolate manufacture to improve smoothness and flowability, raise the melting point, and retard deterioration of texture and flavor. Butter can be used instead, but a butter-chocolate mixture doesn't cover as thinly or smoothly.

1 cup regular rolled oats
1/2 cup sesame seed
1 1/2 cups dried apricots, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 cup shredded unsweetened dry coconut
1 cup blanched almonds, chopped
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons butter or margarine
1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups chunk-style peanut butter
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 package (12 oz.) or 2 cups semisweet chocolate baking chips
4 ounces paraffin or 3/4 cup (3/4 lb.) butter or margarine
Spread oats in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan. Bake in a 300 degree oven until oats are toasted, about 25 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.

Meanwhile, place sesame seed in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Shake often or stir until seeds are golden, about 7 minutes.

Pour into a large bowl. Add apricots, raisins, coconut, almonds, dry milk, and wheat germ; mix well. Mix hot oats into dried fruit mixture.

Butter the hot backing pan; set aside.

In the frying pan, combine corn syrup and sugar; bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat and quickly stir in the peanut butter, orange extract, and orange peel.

At once, pour over the oatmeal mixture and mix well. Quickly spread in buttered pan an press into an even layer. Then cover and chill until firm, at least 4 hours or until next day.

Cut into bars about 1 1/4 by 2 1/2 inches.

Combine chocolate chips and paraffin in to top of a double boiler. Place over simmering water until melted; stir often. Turn heat to low.

Using tongs, dip 1 bar at a time into chocolate, hold over pan until it stops dripping (with paraffin, the coating firms very quickly), then place on wire racks set above waxed paper.

When firm and cool (bars with butter in the chocolate coating may need to be chilled), serve bars, or wrap individually in foil. Store in the refrigerator up to 4 weeks; freeze to store longer. Makes about 4 dozen bars, about 1 ounce each.

Per piece: 188 cal.; 4.4 g protein; 29 g carbo.; 9.8 g fat; 0.6 mg chol.; 40 mg sodium.

Bars of Iron

These are another inexpensive replacement for commercial energy bars, which tend to taste better to boot.

1 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup golden (or dark) molasses
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup liquid milk
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Chop raisins (using a food processor if possible). Cream butter, sugar, molasses and egg.

Combine flour, dry milk, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger. Blend into creamed mixture with liquid milk. Stir in oats, raisins, and half the almonds (if desired).

Pour into greased 13x9x2 inch pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining almonds (if desired).

Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 30 minutes. Cool in pan and cut into 1x4 inch bars.

Apricot Oat Cakes

1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 package lemon flavoured jello
1/2 chopped apricots

Bring the water to a boil before dissolving the sugar and jello. Add the oats and apricots then wait for the oats to absorb water. When mixture is nice and pasty, roll it out into a cylinder about 2-3 inches in diameter. Place the dough on a cookie sheet and "dry" it with the oven set to about 200F for a few hours or until desired level of "dryness" is reached. Finally slice it into 1" thick disks, wrap each individually and store in freezer for freshness.

yp