PDA

View Full Version : Rev: Walnut Pizza with Arugula and Yellow Tomatoes

Kismet
06-10-2002, 03:38 PM
Ok, actually, I made it with spinach and red tomatoes, but the concept is the same! :)

This was a yummy summer dinner! We made 1 large pizza by grilling the dough first and then adding double the toppings (instead of making 2 individual small pizzas). The grilling was a first for us and got done more quickly than we thought, so the crust was a bit on the done side. But, the toppings were QUITE yummy! The feta makes it a bit strong, but I love strong flavors. I think it could use even a bit more balsamic vinegar, but I suppose you don't want the pizza to get soggy.

It was also quick and easy to put together, so that's a plus! There have been some great CL pizza recipes lately, and this is getting added to the repeater list.

Peggy
06-11-2002, 01:10 AM
So glad to hear this recipe is good! I actually planted some yellow tomatoes this year, so I will keep this one in mind for when they ripen. Arugula is hard to come by around here, so I will probably use the spinach also.

Thanks for the review!

Peggy

KValley
06-12-2002, 09:15 AM
This received a warm thumbs-up from us! I made wraps using whole wheat tortillas instead of pizza dough- saving quite a bit on calories and adding lots o'fiber (one tortilla = 90kcal; 9 grams fiber.) Just piled everything on the tortilla and broiled for several minutes. This would also be good in or on pita.

Did this call for balsamic vinegar? Obviously I forgot to add it! :o No worries- it would have soaked through the thin tortillas.

Toppings are way yum. A big spinach salad and the pizza/wrap made a light but satisfying summer meal.

SusanMac
06-12-2002, 09:25 AM
I don't remember this recipe. Was there supposed to be a sauce? or just oil/balsamic drizzle? You could obviously do it either way, but just wondering. We have a favorite pizza around here, and tend to get in a rut of always doing the same ol thing.

KValley
06-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by SusanMac
I don't remember this recipe. Was there supposed to be a sauce? or just oil/balsamic drizzle? You could obviously do it either way, but just wondering. We have a favorite pizza around here, and tend to get in a rut of always doing the same ol thing.

Susan- this is from the SuperFast section in June 02 (page 214). The base is a feta/walnut/milk/oregano blend- makes a thick paste that you spread on the pizza/tortilla/pita.

It's pretty versatile- I used spinach instead of arugula- also added mushrooms. It would also be good with shrimp instead of chicken.

The balsamic gets tossed with the arugula, veggies and shredded chicken...

emily
06-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Was I the only one who noticed that in the recipe index, they list this under the Vegetarian column??? ... um, this recipe calls for chicken. :confused:

Anyway, I thought it looked good and am glad to hear others liked it. How do you think it would be without the chicken? I don't like that kind of vegetable ;)

emily

mcraig13
06-17-2002, 03:30 PM
We liked this a lot also. I used red tomatoes and arugula from my sandbox garden. Arugula is hard to come by here too so I decided to plant some seed where I pulled up the mint this spring. Boy am I glad I did.

Peggy
07-30-2002, 11:39 PM
We had this tonight for dinner. I actually made it with one large Boboli pizza crust instead of the two small refrigerator ones. I loved the feta/walnut mixture. I used yellow tomatoes from my garden and was actually able to locate arugula at the market, (a rare event here!). We liked it, but I must admit that it was stange eating a non-baked pizza. Kind of a weird dining experience...

emily - I did notice that it was incorrectly listed in the vegetarian section of the index! I think it would be perfect without the chicken, in fact, I think I would like it better that way.

Peggy